Pacific Rim Scenario

It's your scenario, but as I always say to budding creators - Less is more.

A staggering array of units is always confusing. When designing, always give a unit a duty/purpose.
Don't have a million units all doing the same thing, regardless of nationality...Use generics where needed.

Just some friendly advice...:)

It's your scenario, but as I always say to budding creators - Less is more.

A staggering array of units is always confusing. When designing, always give a unit a duty/purpose.
Don't have a million units all doing the same thing, regardless of nationality...Use generics where needed.

Just some friendly advice...:)

That is very good advice. But with the lavish, generous, and very well-done spread of recent unit graphics by @Tanelorn, @typhoon353, @Fairline, and @Broken_Erika, it can be difficult. I'll see if I can arrange a compromise unit set that takes your advice into account while giving these great artists a modicum of their due. :)

So, I've gotten some spare time to return to working on this, and there's a particular issue I'm struggling with, that some advice might be helpful. In fact, a recent inquiry I made on the OTR thread brought it to mind in relation here. The set-up of this scenario could make a good pretext for a multi-player scenario (up to six viable players - all except the "Neutrals" and the "Insurgencies" (the latter of whom are just Barbarians spawned by triggers in specific places at specific times). However, multi-player games can be a big event of setting up and managing in the modern Civ2 community, admittedly. But, how to manage a single-player mode, and who would be a focus, or separate lua event files for several players, and the issue that four of the players begin the game with nuclear arsenals - a problem, potentially, if they end up being AI players. I'm asking for a bit of advice, in a general, broad sense, of how it might be wise to manage this.

Bumping this thread for (but not exclusively for) @Tanelorn's erudition, along with my most recent units.bmp file (as, of course, a work in progress).

PacRim units current.jpg

Back to see what we can make of this one, then. I'll post back after I take care of a few things this morning and early afternoon.

So, I'm kind of wondering if some specific mechanic will work here. Two of my six civ's meant to be played (not the collection of minor nations), the Five Dragons and NATO/ANZUS players, are collections of several nations in one player each, as opposed to China, Russia, North Korea, and India, which are one nation, one player. My question is, is there any way to restrict building of certain units in those two civ's to certain city, to have nation-specific units within each? The minor nations AI-only player is easier, as they can only build a basic "light infantry," freight, transports, and the basic coastal defense ship, and all other units they get they either start with or are given to them by various event.

Yes. This has been done in all of the lua scenarios released to date, and the upcoming template should make it fairly painless for you to implement.

Top Bottom