Patch is on hold..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clown2TheLeft said:
Okay.

It is illegal to publish works that are not your own, without express consent of the works' author --in this case, Firaxis/Take 2.

I'm a writer. I've had websites publish my stories online without my consent. Some of these were bona-fide crooks, but most were well-meaning, but bumbling fans that thought they were "helping me out," by "bringing me a wider audience," when, in fact, they were pirating my works.

I realize the Internet is a haven for this sort of thing, and most people do it without realizing they're breaking the law. Most common example: you see a picture online you think would make a cool desktop. You copy it and put it on your computer. Unless the photographer said you could --or issued a blanket statement that says the photo is for free use-- you're guilty of copyright violation.

This is not exactly what's going on with illegal copies of the patch being posted online, but it's close. Unless the publisher of the game authorizes you to operate a mirror site, you cannot offer the file for download. That they did not charge a fee for it is irrelevant --the rights to publish and distribute the work are those of the publisher, not the end-user.

Later!

--The Clown to the Left
The patch offers no content whatsoever unless you actually have purchased the game - it's something that was made publically available to all ppl that have Civ 4. Anyone that does not have a copy of Civ 4 would derive no use whatsoever from this file. Hosting it on any site would have the same restrictions, you will gain no use from it unless you have a copy of Civ 4.

Hell, some places even use bittorrent (blizzard?).

ed: This is actually a bit intriguing to me... I could see how it could be against a EULA if a company decides to add it, but how would this be a violation of copyright law?

Your sig:

Kinkill said:
(\__/)
(+'.'+)
('')=('')
Bunny Says:
Someday Civ creators will know... England does not equal Britain.

Good point! Maybe some modders can rectify this?

ok dont answer my question on page 17, instead b**** to the guy about the copyright thing. totally normal and helpful

diet_punk_rock said:
ok dont answer my question on page 17, instead b**** to the guy about the copyright thing. totally normal and helpful
The patch was pulled after an hour or two, so you can't click on the update thing to patch it.

There was a link here to download an .EXE file that you could run and patch it that way, but it was removed due to "copyright violations".. I guess.

Pls note that this patch was pulled for a reason. A better one might be available in hours, days, or a week. Who knows. Probably not missing out on much.

Zevus said:
The patch was pulled after an hour or two, so you can't click on the update thing to patch it.

There was a link here to download an .EXE file that you could run and patch it that way, but it was removed due to "copyright violations".. I guess.

Pls note that this patch was pulled for a reason. A better one might be available in hours, days, or a week. Who knows. Probably not missing out on much.

THANK YOU, it was about time some1 stopped arguiing the copy right thing and it actually pointed out he was rite.... ******s

LAnkou said:
there is a tech-pop issue (when you get a tech, neither [notification] and leonardo voice's appear anymore)

Same with me. When I get a tech (goodie hut, my own research), I am not notified : the pop-up does not appear, so I do not get the quote and Leonard Nimoy. Never had such a problem before the patch.

The other pop-ups work fine, so it is not a question of how I set my options.

diet_punk_rock said:

Which part of "patch is on hold" didn't you understand?

This has turned into the silliest thread ever....

Efexeye said:
I think it is only copyright infringement if I make a profit off of your work.

This is a common misconception... however, it's still copyright violation whether there is a price tag on it or not. The only thing profit adds into it is the monetary potential of any lawsuits filed against the violator.

Doesn't matter what I say here: there's still people that will illegally post it, still those that'll illegally download it, and it'll still be a pulled patch. Which, if you think about it, is kind of funny...

I actually take a bit of comfort in seeing a patch--even though it was pulled. At least I get the impression that SOMETHING is being done for the game--you'd never know it from the publisher's website.

Later!

--The Clown to the Left

Sorceresss said:
Same with me. When I get a tech (goodie hut, my own research), I am not notified : the pop-up does not appear, so I do not get the quote and Leonard Nimoy. Never had such a problem before the patch.

The other pop-ups work fine, so it is not a question of how I set my options.

I have not experienced this in v1.08. Nimoy and the tech pop-ups are working fine for me. In fact, everything is working fine for me. Slight slowdown late in a Large map game, but nothing game-breaking.

You know we wouldn't have so many issues with patching if the game would be released on consoles....

Flak said:
You know we wouldn't have so many issues with patching if the game would be released on consoles....

Think again. 2K Games's NHL 2K6 is one of the buggiest console games out there. For the 4th year in a row. Season-ending freezes, crashes, menus that don't work, messed up player stats... you name it.

At least on the PC, they get a second chance (and a third, and a fourth, if necessary)...

Zevus said:
The patch offers no content whatsoever unless you actually have purchased the game - it's something that was made publically available to all ppl that have Civ 4. Anyone that does not have a copy of Civ 4 would derive no use whatsoever from this file. Hosting it on any site would have the same restrictions, you will gain no use from it unless you have a copy of Civ 4.

Hell, some places even use bittorrent (blizzard?).

ed: This is actually a bit intriguing to me... I could see how it could be against a EULA if a company decides to add it, but how would this be a violation of copyright law?

so does that mean everyone who posts screen shots of civ 4 game screens that fraxis and take2 are going to press chargs cause they didnt send a letter to every user or included it in the elua that you could post screeenshots

and of course failer to press charges would be hipacritacol and would mean they support piracy

So I missed this. But let me see if I got this right. Patch was out. Then pulled. Then put up here. Then pulled. So bottom line is no patch.... right???

blue3c said:
So I missed this. But let me see if I got this right. Patch was out. Then pulled. Then put up here. Then pulled. So bottom line is no patch.... right???

My god...he IS capable of linear thought processes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom