Patch schedule

The Mac version doesn't even have an estimated date for the FIRST patch let alone this big one.

How could it come out at the same time? Aspyr have to take the final code, convert it for OS X, test it, build and release it. That's a week minimum, even at the most optimistic guess.

I figured they are working with both at the same time. I mean it's not like they just finished the code today and are releasing it. They have had the "finished code" for at least some time to bug test etc. I guess optimistically I was thinking they are making a large mac patch to include everything, along with this large patch for PC.

It's not THAT crazy.

How could it come out at the same time? Aspyr have to take the final code, convert it for OS X, test it, build and release it. That's a week minimum, even at the most optimistic guess.

I'm not asking or expecting it to come out at the same time. I'm just asking for them to pop up and say "we're working on it and should have it in a couple of weeks." or "... in a month." or "... in a couple of months."

:crazyeye:

I figured they are working with both at the same time. I mean it's not like they just finished the code today and are releasing it. They have had the "finished code" for at least some time to bug test etc. I guess optimistically I was thinking they are making a large mac patch to include everything, along with this large patch for PC.

It's not THAT crazy.

While Firaxis are still bug testing the code then it's not finished. Aspyr would be very unlikely to port code that was subject to change, as it would result in duplication of effort.

I'm not asking or expecting it to come out at the same time. I'm just asking for them to pop up and say "we're working on it and should have it in a couple of weeks." or "... in a month." or "... in a couple of months."
I wasn't responding to your post. But if Firaxis were never able to give an ETA for the patch until it happened, why would Aspyr be any better at it?

I wasn't responding to your post. But if Firaxis were never able to give an ETA for the patch until it happened, why would Aspyr be any better at it?

By Firaxis does give us updates on patches they are working on and rough estimates on when they will come out. They move a little bit, but estimates will do that. Other than the unofficial comments that RickB gave us a few weeks ago, we haven't heard word one from Aspyr.

It would be nice if future patches could be released simultaneously - particularly once PC-Mac multiplayer is actually working. If we reach that point, but then PC gets a patch that Mac doesn't see for 2 weeks or more, that will be a serious problem.. and as Firaxis's name is on both games, you'd think they'd be OK with synchronizing the efforts instead of letting 2K's PC patch keep running ahead like an unleashed dog.

Support Master
@Aspyr_Support Support Master
Hi! The patch currently downloading for Civilization V (via Steam) is only for the PC version. The Mac patch should be available tomorrow

This might be a stupid question but I don't remember running into this issue in any other patch before. If I am in the middle of a game, will I still be able to load it and play it post patch?

Support Master
Hi! The patch currently downloading for Civilization V (via Steam) is only for the PC version. The Mac patch should be available tomorrow

Colour me very surprised :blush: Aspyr do seem to be trying very hard!

This might be a stupid question but I don't remember running into this issue in any other patch before. If I am in the middle of a game, will I still be able to load it and play it post patch?
The new Windows patch loads old Windows games OK. Of course, it will change the game play very substantially as you continue to play, given all the tweaks to the rules in all the patches.

Support Master

Folks, I'm a newbie, and from looking at this forum, I think I can expect that will make my opinion somewhat meaningless, but i'll wade in...

First, I have to say, if it's true the Mac patch will be out tomorrow (and if the patch is the same patch, which I think it isn't, so the above might be misleading some), I think some people need to take a GIANT step back and rethink how they feel/communicate about Aspyr... I've worked for over a decade in Tech, and have a history of Project Management for Software development. The gamers on this forum are extraordinarily demanding and even though they seem technically savvy, seem to have little or no regard for the complexity of what Aspyr coders are accomplishing as they port software and patches. It's RIDICULOUS to expect simultaneous patching unless Firaxis is willing to delay their patch releases... and why would they?

I think it's amazing that the Patch release is expected tomorrow.... but like I said, I doubt it's the same patch. If it IS, then everyone should stop complaining about Aspyr altogether... you might not like the support your getting, but then you should look in a mirror... because it isn't the "support" it's the "liking" that's killing you. I challenge any complaint writer to indicate one "second party" port company that is doing, in all ways, a better job of keeping up. Go ahead. Name one. There's a reason people... it's because it's a BUSINESS.... and nothing, in business, comes for free. Really, I wish it were different, but the only way it would ever change is if Firaxis built the app themselves for Mac, and were on the hook for a simultaneous release.

-peter

The gamers on this forum are extraordinarily demanding and even though they seem technically savvy, seem to have little or no regard for the complexity of what Aspyr coders are accomplishing as they port software and patches. It's RIDICULOUS to expect simultaneous patching unless Firaxis is willing to delay their patch releases... and why would they?
-peter

I don't see why it'd be unreasonable to expect some sort of communication from them ahead of time even if they are going to lag the PC version on patches. At the very least they should have something on their webpage listing "Patch anticipated... Jan 2011" or whatever. I think it's ridiculous that you have to track down a particular Aspyr twitter feed for info. As of this morning it wasn't posted anywhere on their webpage and they didn't post any patch info/ETA to the @CivVMac twitter feed, which is where I'd look first for information on.... Civ V Mac version. As a paying customer, why should I have to hunt all over the internet to find this information?

Top Bottom