Patch v1.21f ReadMe is here!!!!!!!!!

New patch looks exciting. I wish I had time this weekend to play with it!

Beeblbrox has great ideas, which I would like to second and expand upon:

Originally posted by Beeblbrox

for those of us who think the Optimum City Number is a wholly pathetic

So glad to see I'm not the only one. All the (wholly justified) complaining about out-of-control corruption, and I never saw anyone get to the root of it: if you're going to have an optimum city number at all (and some means of reflecting size of civ in corruption level may be justified) it should be affected by tech level, by transportation ability (to a civ with railways and airports you're always close to the capital, for what that's worth), and much more radically than now by government type. I know government type does affect corruption, but a large civ, even a democracy, on one of the gigantic maps like Marla's is simply ungovernable at the moment.

The slider for corruption will be a very useful band-aid, but it's not getting at the root of the problem or fixing things in a realistic way.

4) Put in some mechanism to allow us to prevent a city from reverting to previous civilisation, and a means of detecting when such is imminent. At least let us save the units we have stationed there. If I have 50 tank divisions in a city of size 4 I really don't think that the populace has the means to overwhelm and destroy them, do you? [/B]

I had a problem with this before and complained to Firaxis, but isn't it supposedly fixed in 1.17?

But the warning certainly should be there: actually, they should start rioting in the streets, doing damage, and (if you ask them) say they're rebelling against foreign oppressors, then next turn, if you don't do enough about it, they can throw you out.

Personally, I would make the cultural reversion thing a lot more interesting and complex: Cities can riot even in the face of pretty fearsome garrisons, but on the other hand it's hard for civilians to destroy or capture military units. Elite units especially would almost always be able to escape from a city in good order, even when it was rioting against them. So I'd say, when a city actually rises up to revert to its old owner, give the new owner an option for what to do with the garrison: have them fight to suppress the uprising, which may diminish the population, destroy improvements, damage or destroy the garrison itself, and cause ill will among other subjects of the civ involved in the rising (but will probably keep the city); or have them withdraw, in which case they may take some damage from the populace, but not much (especially if they're elite units), may if they wish destroy improvements as they go, but in any case will almost certainly save themselves. This strikes me as far more realistic.

--A couple of my own separate ideas then I'll shut up: My biggest wishes for the next patch were a built-in way to set up real-world or other predefined starting locations (a la Gramphos' great program - HEY FIRAXIS, have you offered Gramphos a job yet??), and linked to that, a better way to add lots of extra civs, so there are twenty or thirty to choose from at the start. Also, a separation in the start screen between maps and scenarios. A restoration of Civ2 ability to choose your name and sex. A change in resources so that the Sahara isn't always as full of cities as the NYC-DC corridor - and linked to that (partially offsetting it) a restoration of the Civ2 ability to *transport food* (but abstractly, like Civ3 resource trading): Rome in real life couldn't survive without Egyptian grain, and machange with king some cities food suppliers can control their size without resorting to more drastic and player-labor-intensive means.

Okay, okay. I'll go lurk again now.

Originally posted by Higis
"The maximum food a tile with a city on it can produce has been changed to 2. "

If I interpret this change correctly, what would be the advantage of building a city on a bonus resource.

There isn't one. You want to build your city near the resource, not on it.

I'm not a mod-maker. I have been into the editor for a look around but never used it and never intend to. For those who are motivated enough and smart enough to use the editor to create modpacks and such I say ...good on yer...more power to yer elbow.

But I dont buy the notion "that the game has major problems but thats OK cos you can always go to the editor to fix them". Thats thinking like a programmer...better to think like a customer. Not everybody out here is a techie-type. Some like me just wanna play the game and have some fun.

I am still playing 1.16. Never did go to 1.17 after reading the threads here. Yes, your comments do influence people. I was put off by the AI tech trading debate.

Having read the Firaxis list for the latest patch and ignored all the items relating to the editor, I confess I am no wiser. I guess I will have to wait and see what the comments are here when people start using 1.21. I would like to use the latest patch if possible cos I can never play GOTM otherwise.

Just thought I would give you a view from a regular Joe cos we have heard a lot from the editor fans and not so much from the unwashed masses :lol:

Originally posted by hammerquill
New patch looks exciting. I wish I had time this weekend to play with it!

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4) Put in some mechanism to allow us to prevent a city from reverting to previous civilisation, and a means of detecting when such is imminent. At least let us save the units we have stationed there. If I have 50 tank divisions in a city of size 4 I really don't think that the populace has the means to overwhelm and destroy them, do you?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I had a problem with this before and complained to Firaxis, but isn't it supposedly fixed in 1.17?

But the warning certainly should be there: actually, they should start rioting in the streets, doing damage, and (if you ask them) say they're rebelling against foreign oppressors, then next turn, if you don't do enough about it, they can throw you out.

Personally, I would make the cultural reversion thing a lot more interesting and complex: Cities can riot even in the face of pretty fearsome garrisons, but on the other hand it's hard for civilians to destroy or capture military units. Elite units especially would almost always be able to escape from a city in good order, even when it was rioting against them. So I'd say, when a city actually rises up to revert to its old owner, give the new owner an option for what to do with the garrison: have them fight to suppress the uprising, which may diminish the population, destroy improvements, damage or destroy the garrison itself, and cause ill will among other subjects of the civ involved in the rising (but will probably keep the city); or have them withdraw, in which case they may take some damage from the populace, but not much (especially if they're elite units), may if they wish destroy improvements as they go, but in any case will almost certainly save themselves. This strikes me as far more realistic.

Nice one! :goodjob:

I'm okay with cities occasionally reverting or culture flipping, because - like it or not - it is realistic. What is NOT realistic is that this happens without warning and always with a total loss of all troops.

Oh, and yes, there already is a mechanism provided to prevent a city from reverting: Supposedly, you can always stop this by stationing a "sufficient" number of troops in the city. There is, however, no sure way to figure out exactly how many are "sufficient" - except trial and error, that is...

I suppose it is realistic that you never really know exactly how many troops are needed, but it shouldn't be all black and white "all or nothing", like it is in the game at the moment. (Ie. garrison is one unit short of "sufficient" and the whole place reverts without warning, whereas if that last unit is present, you don't have a problem in the world...) Also, citizens shouldn't be happy/content going about their business one moment and already gone the next, with absolutely nothing in between. Unless you already have a serious problem with unhappiness, it should take at least a turn or two, during which the mood in the city would be deteriorating and the player would have a chance to see the writing on the wall, so to speak.

I agree with Guardian and the Cap'n. It's not that the reversal occurs that's the problem, it's the destruction of the occupying forces. From a gameplay perspective, the reasoning seems to be that Firaxis wanted to give us one more thing to worry about in terms of weighing up merits of occupying or razing a city - and merely ejecting 5 tanks out of city to an adjacent square as the result of a rebellion is only going to mean that same city is nailed again the very next turn. You can understand the reasoning, it's just not that much fun.

As an aside, I have never had much of a problem with spearmen coming out on top against tanks - something that Firaxis have given us the option to address with the bonus hp option. In my view, the unit animation is merely a representation of how 'cutting edge' the unit is. For instance, I don't seriously believe that in 1940 an AI opponent's longbowmen are actually longbowmen sent by their ruler to fight mechanized forces with air support - but they are infact units that are irregular, numerically weaker or possess previous generation tech (NOT a longbow but a rifle from 1910, say). All a spearmen's victory over tank represents to me is a 'chaos of war' victory by inferior forces that have managed to apply some tactical advantage over a superior foe. Anyway, that's my opinion.

This su*ks, su*ks, su*ks!

why oh why did they take the "multi" cheat out?????

I can only think of two reason:

- they want to keep us from cheating:

this is absolutely ridiculous, since the game will never be smarter than the human using it. So why make cheating more difficult if soon we`ll have a tool that turns that back? Someone who wants to cheat, will cheat.

- they don´t want us to be able to check out game mechanics as we could before.

no explainaition needed for that one.

the rest sounds pretty good, especially the "fixed move when wins" thingy. I always thought the stupid way it works was intentional :lol:

Originally posted by Thunderfall
Enjoy!

* Fixed building prerequisites to allow buildings to require buildings that are bestowed by other buildings but only if 1 is required. If more than 1 or required, they must actually be built.

I'll take a stab at this one: "buildings that are bestowed by other buildings" are things like the free granaries from Pyramids, or the free Baracks from Sun Tzu's.

"Buildins that require buildings" - eg Banks and universities, any power plants.

So, for modding, this means you could make a wonder that puts a library in every city, and still require a library to be built (either directly or via this custom wonder) before a university can be built. Presumably this sort of mod didn't work before?

"If more than 1 or required..." Hmm, still puzzling this one. Would the research lab be one of these? (needs University, which needs library...)

Just a wild guess that's the best I can come up with from such a bizarrely worded sentence.:(

Anyway this all sounds good!
You can't blame Firaxis if many changes are editor options we've been debating back and forth on a lot of these (e.g. bombardment) and except for AI tech valuation most of us just agree to disagree.

Happy civving!

Great good to see Firaxis have spent so much time making lots of editor changes NOT! I am a fan of CIV3 but not a great fan of modding. When i spend £40 on a game I expect the game company to have down the work for me and produced a playable balanced game. If i had wanted to design CIV3 i could have saved my money and done it myself . The amount of time i've spent playing it would probably have allowed me to do CIV4 as well! So my point is great that everything is editable for those who like doing this but i want a finished version that i can play with default everything and I'm not convinced thats the case.

Originally posted by Captain Pugwash
But I dont buy the notion "that the game has major problems but thats OK cos you can always go to the editor to fix them". Thats thinking like a programmer...better to think like a customer. Not everybody out here is a techie-type. Some like me just wanna play the game and have some fun.

*snip*

Just thought I would give you a view from a regular Joe cos we have heard a lot from the editor fans and not so much from the unwashed masses :lol:

Ah, the editor is in place so all those who don't like an aspect of the game can CHANGE IT to suit THEM. Have you ever tried to develop something that appeals to millions of people who all have different tastes? If so you'd know that most products which try to attempt to appeal to everyone are bland and typically boring (can't add anything "tweakish" because some of the millions won't like it and will complain LOUDLY like what happens here constantly).

The editor is essentially to allow those who don't like the "bland" version of the game to change it to suit themselves, since so many tastes differ, this is essentially the ONLY way to accomplish this.

Don't think that *your* way of how you want the game is the same as everyone else's. Once you realize this *simple* fact you can quit complaining about how all the tweaks are going into the editor and maybe use the editor to do what it's there for, to tweak the game into your own little Civ3 vision of happiness. :)

This is like the 3rd or 4th patch, and still we are forced to tediously click through every other civ every other turn to find out when x resource or y luxury is up for trade again (this is absolutely essential at higher levels).

Until a separate trade management screen is added, could you please add some information to the "traded icons" pop-up. Instead of just saying who x resource is traded to (i.e. "Dyes to France") could it also read "Dyes to France 5 turns remaining" or something like that.

This is the most frustrating part of the game for me. It makes the end-game extraordinarily tedious and monotonous. I've had the game from day one, and I've yet to finish a game due to this end-game boredom!

Since I loaded the last patch, I haven't been able to play any of the maps I've created in the editor. The game gives me a "no compatable format/type" error. Any idea if this patch will fix that, or where I can go to get a fix for this problme? :(

Originally posted by Ed O'War
What about the unit and resource icons no longer being hardcoded? Does this mean that we no longer have to worry about inserting one new unit icon for each new unit to units_32.pcx? I'm not sure if I understand what the ramifications of these two editor changes are. But most of the rest of the changes sound really cool...can't wait to see the patch.

I'm happy about that one too, but I wonder if the last 8 icons still need to be the orginal last 8 for it to work.

Originally posted by Cybernut
This is like the 3rd or 4th patch, and still we are forced to tediously click through every other civ every other turn to find out when x resource or y luxury is up for trade again (this is absolutely essential at higher levels).

Until a separate trade management screen is added, could you please add some information to the "traded icons" pop-up. Instead of just saying who x resource is traded to (i.e. "Dyes to France") could it also read "Dyes to France 5 turns remaining" or something like that.

This is the most frustrating part of the game for me. It makes the end-game extraordinarily tedious and monotonous. I've had the game from day one, and I've yet to finish a game due to this end-game boredom!

Good suggestion Cybernet.

What I do to make that part less tedious is to destroy as many AI civs as possible, you would want to do that anyway.

Originally posted by Park Ranger

So, for modding, this means you could make a wonder that puts a library in every city, and still require a library to be built (either directly or via this custom wonder) before a university can be built. Presumably this sort of mod didn't work before?

"If more than 1 or required..." Hmm, still puzzling this one. Would the research lab be one of these? (needs University, which needs library...)

Just a wild guess that's the best I can come up with from such a bizarrely worded sentence.:(

Happy civving!
"If more than 1 required" I believe this would be like Battlefield medicine that requires 5 cities to have hospitals. 5 hospitals required.

I'm also wondering about the last 8 icons on the units .PCX

But I think I can make an educated guess... These lase 8 icons were picked by code, rather than an icon number in the .bic file, because these icons serve units that have multiple icons (for each era). I assume that the fix was to let us add unlimited new icons. The code that tells the computer to give leaders, workers, and armies one of the last 8 icons is, likely, still active.

By the way, does this mean that all the people out there writing mods will have to re-post all of their .bic files to work with this new patch?

Originally posted by Lab Monkey
By the way, does this mean that all the people out there writing mods will have to re-post all of their .bic files to work with this new patch?

No, most mods will load into the editor and can be saved just fine in the new format.

That is awesome!!!
I really get annoyed when I take a city from the opposition and the city sucks so I try to make a settler but it takes so long that I get bored.
But now I can just burn it to the ground along with all its settler producing citizens.

(vain pops on grawss' forehead and grawss laughs histerically)
:rotfl: :lol: :nuke:

Originally posted by simon.hurst
Great good to see Firaxis have spent so much time making lots of editor changes NOT! I am a fan of CIV3 but not a great fan of modding. When i spend £40 on a game I expect the game company to have down the work for me and produced a playable balanced game. If i had wanted to design CIV3 i could have saved my money and done it myself . The amount of time i've spent playing it would probably have allowed me to do CIV4 as well! So my point is great that everything is editable for those who like doing this but i want a finished version that i can play with default everything and I'm not convinced thats the case.

Hear, Hear! Worth requoting in its entirety.

All the patches to date have been full of editor mods. Firaxis, knock it off, and get the game tuned up. (See discussions of tech trading/buying here, and ongoing dissatisfaction with corruption levels in just about every thread you read).

Love the game, though.

* Fixed building prerequisites to allow buildings to require buildings that are bestowed by other buildings but only if 1 is required. If more than 1 or required, they must actually be built.

Let's see if I understand this correctly...

For example, you have six cites and four of them have barracks. You then build Sun Tzu's, which gives the other two cities barracks. Another building/wonder requires six barracks, you would still actually have to build two barracks because the free ones don't count.

Am I missing something?

My question is, how can you build something that already shows up in your city? How can you build a barracks when there is a free one sitting there?

Top Bottom