Patch v1.21f ReadMe is here!!!!!!!!!

What do these mean:

* Editor: Fixed some barbarian bugs. Barbarians are now forced to be the first civ.

The barbarians are the "first" civ in terms of play order?

* Editor: Setting active player to a barbarian tribe causes placed barbarian camps to use the specified barbarian tribe.

This could be interpreted two ways: 1) you can now specify that all barbarians are the Marcomani or Scythians or whatever. or 2) by setting them as the "active player" you can play the barbarian huts? -- that's a challange!

I wish lethal bombard vs ships was a standard rule and not just an editor option, but other than that I'm thrilled with the changes.

I hate tinkering with the rules in the editor because it probably won't be allowed in MP when it comes out anyway right?

Anyway, all in all a great bunch of fixes/changes. Great job Civ team!!

Huh? No more invisible resources? This doesn't mean that you can see all the strategic resources (oil, uranium etc.) on the map from the very beginning......does it?

:eek:

* Fixed building prerequisites to allow buildings to require buildings that are bestowed by other buildings but only if 1 is required. If more than 1 or required, they must actually be built.

huh??? Could that sentence being more vague and confusing? I am highly intelligent, well educated, but that is like saying a word is a word because it has meaning and this meaning is made up of words which are also made up of words. ?!?!?!?!?

I was hoping to see artillery improved from 1.17f since it is just about worthless now. But if you can kill other units with it, then I suppose it will level things a bit. All in all, sounds pretty good. Don't like the culturally linked turned on automatically though.

The game is improving, but I will do my usual improvements to get me back to where I am right now. No more AI trading BS. that ruins a game in a hurry. Wouldn't be so bad if they would trade with you too, but they don't then you end up getting a butt-whoopin.

great changes! i just have one question:

if i abandon a captured AI city, does the unhappiness from AI whipping and drafting still transfer to one of my own cities?

Originally posted by HomeAir
I was hoping to see artillery improved from 1.17f since it is just about worthless now.

Huh? Arty worthless? Check out the French Artillerty succession game. Massed arty stacks can decimate opponents. Consider this, reducing a defender to 1 hp makes it easier (and safer) to mine for Leaders. The possible loss of an hp when attacker an arty-defended stack can be daunting. Add in the reduction of city-size, etc.

Arty in small quantities doesn't help much, and that's pretty historical. But in large, massed groups. Oh boy - Queens of the Battlefield!

Well, it all sounds pretty good - especially for mod makers. My 3 quibbles are:

1) BIC settings saved in save game file. While this is generally a fantastic move (especially for GOTM purposes) for those of us who think the Optimum City Number is a wholly pathetic concept it means we cant build the Forbidden Palace (in case you didnt know we like to wait until we have built it using normal rules then whack OCN to 1000 so that we don't have the riduiculous corruption. Forbidden Palace can only be built once you have half the OCN number of cities) Having said that I suppose we could use 512 (max cities allowed in game? or is it 256? havent really counted) as our OCN setting... don't know if that would have as significant effect on corruption though. I expect this gripe could be resolved if someone could set me straight on max cities allowed and whether just having OCN at that number has the same effect as 1000

2) Stacked armies bug movement resolved... OMG! I can't believe this! I had literally only just found I could break my armies up using the J command on a similar unit when stacked with armies containing similar units, which I was EXTREMELY happy to find - I HATE the fact that armies are crap because you cant drop units in and out of them as you please - especially as you cant upgrade units in them either (afaik - someone said earlier that this patch fixed that but I re-read the readme thoroughly and couldn't see any statement to that effect). PLEASE put in a non-bug facility to remove units from an army then! This should have been implemented.

3) Related to gripe (1) really. Optimum City Number usage should be a PREFERENCE. If everyone who likes to play effectively without it by whacking the OCN in editor to 1000 was to make a post here as well asking for this you would have a post 1000's of replies long. Making Courthouses, Police Stations and WLTKD more effective is not an answer to our complaint. I could bang on forever about why I and 1000's of us don't think the corruption levels in Civ3 is anywhere near realistic - I'll just say that I personally think you have already lost a lot of potential customers for Civ4 already who arent as wired to the Civ world to find out about ways around this, and would otherwise enjoy what would otherwise be a hugely (nay the most) entertaining strategy game of all time.

My gripes over. I'm going to make one on behalf of my lodger however:
4) Put in some mechanism to allow us to prevent a city from reverting to previous civilisation, and a means of detecting when such is imminent. At least let us save the units we have stationed there. If I have 50 tank divisions in a city of size 4 I really don't think that the populace has the means to overwhelm and destroy them, do you?

I'm curious about these . . .
* Updated All Terrain As Roads unit ability to work with water units.

* Updated water unit movement to take into account the cost of the terrain type.

Why do water units need "all terrain as roads"? Regarding bullet 2, this seems to imply that different types of water tiles will have different movement costs. No?

I would like to still have the multi.sav option, want to see if a map is worth playing and save myself some wasted time.

Don't see the need to make the maps smaller, but looks like there is a remedy. I want bigger maps. Game speed is not a problem.

Originally posted by -proletarian-
Huh? No more invisible resources? This doesn't mean that you can see all the strategic resources (oil, uranium etc.) on the map from the very beginning......does it?

:eek:
No, it means that if you add more then 23 or 24 (I don't remember) resources the icons will show on the map.

Originally posted by planetfall
4. Random seed number

What, the random seed was/is set once and never changed? Why isn't random seed recalculated automatically at the beginning of each turn? At least there is a way to change this, save and reload each turn during combat turns. Painful, painful. Please add as RFE for next patch.
Why recalculate the seed for each turn. The seed is used to calculate the next random number, and the number is still random, even if you takes the time as a new seed. It would just slow down the turn change if a new seed were taken each time random numbers were used, and it would also make the random things less random as the random calculations are made to have a seed and work from that.

Originally posted by ravensfire

Huh? Arty worthless? Check out the French Artillerty succession game. Massed arty stacks can decimate opponents. Consider this, reducing a defender to 1 hp makes it easier (and safer) to mine for Leaders. The possible loss of an hp when attacker an arty-defended stack can be daunting. Add in the reduction of city-size, etc.

Arty in small quantities doesn't help much, and that's pretty historical. But in large, massed groups. Oh boy - Queens of the Battlefield!

And artillery is an excellent remedy against those annoying naval shore bombardments. Just bomb them back to one hitpoint and they will retire like a dog with the tail between the legs.

sounds like the bugfixes are driving the game away from pure enjoyment and catering more and more to its competition aspect by removing "cheats".

i like despot rushing and if they don't put it back, oh well.....
be a long time b4 i upgrade from 1.16f

* Fixed bug in script with duplicated/missing key for science advisor (strong funding message had the same key as average funding).

* Fixed advisor bug where science funding was incorrectly calculated.
Good. I found the constant "we need to increase science spending" message really annoying. It made the science advisor look like a moron... I wonder if the bug originated with one of the programmers playing a little joke on Sid?

Originally posted by Beeblbrox
Well, it all sounds pretty good - especially for mod makers. My 3 quibbles are:

Corruption (I'm paraphrasing)

Beeblbrox, you must have missed the dial-a-corruption level setting.

Editor: Added a corruption slider to difficulty level page. It defaults to 100% for all difficulty levels.

In this patch you can set corruption to 0% if you don't want any corruption or 200% if you really love corruption (I don't think this option will ever be used).

What does Zouave have to say about it a little happier now?:rolleyes: :p Just kidding

This is awsome now there is an extra point of the close build early so you can weed the cities without enough room out:D

Originally posted by planetfall

What, the random seed was/is set once and never changed? Why isn't random seed recalculated automatically at the beginning of each turn? At least there is a way to change this, save and reload each turn during combat turns. Painful, painful. Please add as RFE for next patch.

Most programs only seed there random number generator once (or but a few times) during their running. General practice is to seed the generator from the system clock on startup and then never reseed it again till the program is launched again.

This is particularly true as random number functions are designed to be random with the correct spread based on NOT being reseeded. They use the last number as the seed for the next number.

3. Automatic Worker activity.

Not so cryptic please, in English what was fixed?
I think this is that bug where if you have workers on automate, sometimes your units will attack them. Hopefully, your workers can now irrigate and mine free from the threat of being gunned down by rouge detatchments of your mech-inf (or worse, outdated spearmen, which is inconvenient and embarresing )

4. Random seed number

This just lets you have a different outcome to a battle if you save and then reload

Top Bottom