PBEM Olympus, city of Gods - the story

Hades - Are the people still rebelling?

Minion - No, Sir! :D

Hades - You solved it??? I didn't think you had it in you!

Minion - Errrrr....well, it is solved. Emancipation is no more!

Hades - all right... well done. Now bring me a colourfull soul for me to spoil!!!

Minion - Yes, Sir.

over 5 days with Eclipse :(

When is the next party going to start?

Oh oh ... the world is a less joyful place. Uncle partied too hard and has passed onto the big party in the sky. Those gate crashers will be punished.

Since the dawn of time ... well, maybe just after dawn ... ok ... very early morning ... uncle has looked to the skies and marveled at the God's flying machines. He has prayed, begged and pleaded with the Gods for one of his very own. Well, today, Uncle's wish has been granted. The merry people, after the bender that was Uncle's wake ... woke with the knowledge of building their own.

Also, the Greeks have been itching for battle for the last few years. They have decided that they like to Party with Uncle's clan ... so, someone else will be tasting Greek steel.

Not to worry - so far Greece is invading with 2 (count them!) muskets ... well ... that is all I can see. More are on their way ... so be ready.

As previously mentioned, Uncle partied too hard and passed into the big party in the sky. Well ... he has returned. On the day that The Party People launched their first airship, the sky brightened, the clouds parted and two (count them! two) airships returned. Our airship had found another airship in the clouds.

Bigger News! Uncle was joyriding in this second airship. He lives!

While Dionys is traveling, her ambitious general Trevor Mustakis feels the need for sport, for he is a man of action. Long has Hades fortress, the Nasty Dungeon stood in our borders. Too long, Trevor thinks. We can always use more land. And there is a Princess too, supposedly. Dionys being away, he could take the fort and quietly also save the princess, with the justification of taking more land. Surely that must be acceptable for Dionys.

Knights attack the northern vanguard of the Dungeon guarded by longbows. The first wave falls to the arrow volleys since they've been mostly trained how to retreat, not how to fight. Trevor is angry. Send in the lesser men, well, then you just have to do it yourself. Trevor leads the second charge to the hill, with anger and passion. Such is their fierce charge that none of Trevors knights fall victim to hostile arrows. The vanguard is taken, but how will the Dungeon defend itself?

Dionys has returned to her empire and now has rearmed herself and her bodyguard with modern weaponry. "Are these supposed to be better than the good old bow?" she thinks herself nevertheless.

A Golden Age starts honouring her return from adventures in south. Also strange reforms are being made. The nation is now highly nationalistic, with men flocking in arms, but at the same time pacifist. What is happening here? So it seems the educated are really against this war, but their efforts have doubled due to anti-war passion... Also the government has now elected officials, we are Hindus once more and trade is free. But how is the national industry going to compete, Dionys wonders. Still the treasury is looking really good. "I wonder what else has happened when I was away", Dionys ponders. "For instance where is my second at command Trevor Mustakis and how is the war with Arabs going? I need a lot of refilling... Humph, work, work, always work!!"

Various news from different parts of empire reach Dionys as she rides to see the frontal situation against Arabs. Rumours of Sea Monster killing our exploring party. Kufah has attempted to overthrow it's garrison and join our empire. Well, men everywhere are attracted to me, Dionys smugly thinks and sends her mounted force to exploit the temporary weakness of the garrison. Older horse archer group is totally destroyed in volley of arrows, but the knight units do their job with cold efficiency. Meanwhile, Whorehouse is under siege.

In the city of Damascus, new weapons reach Trevor Mustakis's group. Perhaps it's time to press on before he gets questioned for his high-handed action?

Discovering scientific method has actually damaged the reasearch rate quite significantly, now who would have though that, Dionys wonders. The monks were too religious for new scientific research so they were all banned from research.

Dionys decided that it would be a good idea to take Whorehouse from the Arabs for the pleasure of his men. After all, they have their needs and she knew it.

"The Arabs have fortified this city very strong, for here they keep their most valuable slave girls. Blondes, redheads, eastern, mediterranean, what ever you like. It's all there. The girls are tired with their brutal masters and are waiting for you as liberators! Long have we worked to break down these fortifications. But today, the walls are broken enough, thanks to our pioneer crew with their trebuchets. Now men, the wait is over! First in the city gets the first pick in women!", Dionys speaks to her men before she sends her forces to assault the city. Her rifles do amazingly well this time, breaking the resistance of trained slave masters (CG3 lb) against all odds (10% chance to win ;)).

After a fierce battle the city is takes. Wine is flowing and men are drunk getting all the girls they want and drinking to the memory of their fallen comrades. Dionys smiles at the sight. His men are now happy and this is how it should be. They need to have their time and see that she will lead them to victories and feasts so that they will also follow her during the long and harsh campaigns when times are really rough. The warm memories will keep them strong and motivated. The city is also quite suited for intelligence purposes. It seems that whores are also very good at picking information from men when they are drunk, satisfied and so the most careless. She will need to watch out for that but also it can be used for her purposes.

On the day that The Party People launched their first airship, the sky brightened, the clouds parted and two (count them! two) airships returned. Our airship had found another airship in the clouds.

Bigger News! Uncle was joyriding in this second airship. He lives!

As you know, The Party People have always partied hard. Some would say 'too hard' ... and some might be right.

Uncle has always looked at the skies and dreamed of flying. He was a little pissed that The Party People managed to discover how to make flying machines ... and more pissed that they came and dragged him back to earth with them.

Tossers ... he said. And he meant it.

So, in between huge parties (naturally!), Uncle schemed, he plotted, he performed arcane research tricks. He was planning something big ... a huge fireworks display and a party to end all parties. He has planned this surprise party for years now ... no-one knows about it. Everyone will be surprised.

Well ... that is his hope :D.

Party On! As it turned out, there was only one fireworks rocket that was lit-off ...

Hades Minions go to tell Hades the terrible news: humans have landed on Olympus!

Hades does not seem worried... 'they are only humans...' But his Minions explain to him that they have magic sticks that fire little stones... magic like they've never seen before! And that they have systematically defeated the Orcs, Trolls and even Demons with that discusting magic called 'science'!

Hades says that it is time to use the ultimate weapon and defeat the humans once and for all. 'I will use Zeus Bolt on them!' he says.

"But...but...but... have you learned how to use it?" his Minions ask... he laughs and shouts "I have had enough of humans... they are going to die!!!!""

The war between Hades and Dionys is now getting hotter and hotter. Dionys sees the suffering of her people due to Zeus Bolts and wants payback. The communications between her landing group were cut, as was to be expected. Still, she is a bit nervous of the fate of her brave men. The zeppelin fleet is told to search and destroy all the sea monsters they can find, even if they're under surface. And the navy is getting stronger every turn. Destroyers and battle ships hunt down sea monsters. Her navy also managed to break the blockade, and even more marines landed as reinforcements.

Meanwhile the elite corps approach Olympos. They were under heavy shelling last turn, monsters from air striked against their camp as was expected. But our brave SAM crews were mostly up to the task. The soldiers are a bit nervous, since it's the home of Gods and approaching a God, Hades, is always intimidating for mere mortals. But also, they're very well trained and professionals and have full confidence in the superiority of their weapons.

Minion - Sir... hmmm... cof cof...

Hades - What? Are you here to tell me that all the humans daring to invade the Magic city are now gone....?

Minion - No, Sir.... they live.... and are closer....

Hades - What???? HOw is that possible? I used Zeus most powerfull weapon!!!

Minion - Errrrr....well.... you missed...

Hades - I missed? I did not miss!!! It was just a practice shot... are the humans still nearby?

Minion - Yes, Sir.

Hades - I now know how to use the Bolt. Now I will send them to my previous address!

Minion - they are really close, Sir...

Hades - Listen to me... humans will never enter Olympus. Never! Never! Never! NEVER !!!

Last edited:
More stolen Zeus bolts ravaged the lands, even lands not of the invaders for Hades didn't make the difference between mere mortals. Dionys was saddened by the destruction, and her only hope lay in the invasion force. They should take Olympos from the usurper before Hades would destroy all the lands with the Bolts.

Living older had definitely softened her a bit. She was recalling the bloody visions of her youth, when she wanted to burn the city and afterwards watch all her men killing each other. Then she was more like a raid leader, but now she had become an empire builder. It felt so good ruling over vast lands and a lot of men, why would she want all that destroyed? And anyway the logistical concerns didn't even allow her to lead the invasion in person, more high tech and elite forces were wanted at the frontline. Even Trevor Mustakis, once her best general had to watch all the carnage ashore. They would compare the battles of the old days, when there was still melee and honour to these modern battles fought at sea, air and land at long distances and huge firepower. They both had been overwhelmed by progress.

The attack on Olympos was started by zeppelin bombardment, then heavy arty shelling. Gaia had recalled ancient heroes for this battle, for instance Arminius who had once defeated Roman legions. This time Arminius as a Germanic warrior was given the rare panzer division under his personal command. With other generals leading the marines into the city, the result was heavy urban combat. Marines would advance with panzer support and clear the city of the devils and other beasts in a methodical manner. This was really a match between tech and organization vs. demonic creatures also equipped with heavy weaponry, but this time mankind and order prevailed.

Attachments

• battle0000.JPG
    battle0000.JPG
    462.3 KB · Views: 310
  • Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    Civ4ScreenShot0002.JPG
    461 KB · Views: 296
  • battle.JPG
    battle.JPG
    471.3 KB · Views: 289
Top Bottom