PBEM Olympus, city of Gods - the story

Gregor Blanco and a small band of men storm out of Camp Everywhere in the middle of the night, hoping to take the Orc snooping around their camp by surprise. Their attack is successful as the armored Orc is woken from his sleep, dazed and surprised, as he is pierced by a rain of arrows...

"The troll is walking away!!!!" the lookout yells as the denizens of Camp Nowhere break out in celebration. The party in the Camp begins, with lots of drinking and sexing ;) And the men working on the special project directed by Dionys are happier, and able to work more effectively...

Meanwhile Dionys herself spots another minion of Hades nearby and elects to turn north, to gather what goods she can from the last of the remaining abandoned towns of her men. Of course this last town is also a trap, but Dionys shouldn't have a problem fighting off these weak women with their clubs...

Prologue (may or may not be continued some day)

Gaius began to think that this wasn´t such a bright idea after all. He had wandered for months, just to get away from the hive of scum and villainy that was his hometown, but the lack of easily available food and company took its toll, and even though his physical abilities increased formidably from all the outdoor sport he couldn´t think of anything else but a nice comfy bed and giant steaks. A town named Hiverton was supposed to lie somewhere along the river he was following, but so far he hadn´t seen a sign of civilization since he left his home, if the term civilization was even applicable for that. All he could see was water, trees, smoke, the sky... smoke? Huh, that´s a new one. He did a double-take and assured himself that yes, there indeed was smoke rising to the skies directly ahead. Pictures of barbeques popped into his head, and with newly found vigor he accelerated his pace. However, as he came closer to the source of the smoke his ears picked up some decidedly not barbequesque sounds. The bangs of swords clashing, screams of children slaughtered and gurgles of men dieing gave him the feeling that his much-deserved rest and relaxation won´t come so soon after all.

Now standing clear of trees, his eyes confirmed his worst fears: In what was presumably Hiverton a gruesome battle between undead and humans raged, and the latter seemed to be losing it. Gaius has not been noticed by the ghastly creatures yet, so he still had a chance to just turn around and run for his life. However his sense of honor got the better of him and so he charged into battle, hoping that he could at least save one or two innocent lives before his death. He was never much of a fighter, but he still grabbed a sword from a dead soldier, and not a moment too soon: He barely parried a strike from one of the undead, but began taking steps back as the monster continued its attack. Luckily its movements were slow and predictable so that even he could make short work of it with the few skills he had in sword fighting.

Unfortunately the undead had numbers on their side, and now they came by the dozens for him. He slowly retreated into the city, knowing he was outmatched, and looked for alternative ways to dispose of his pursuers. Glancing above he noticed a rather large bale of hay hanging from a crane about two stories up. Thinking quickly he ran a few steps back, spoke a short prayer to whichever god it may concern and threw his sword up. With more luck than skill he managed to hit the rope holding the bale in place, cutting it through and burying the pack of undead under a ton of hay. His relief was short, as there was still movement in the mass of dry grass and body parts. If he didn´t do something the creatures would sooner or later climb out of it. Gaius needed to destroy them permanently, and he already had an idea how to do it: He ran into a nearby building that looked like a Forge but was greeted with the swing of a a sword that barely missed his head when he entered.

“Consarn it boy! Ah´d almost smitten ya! Ya´ll alright?”, the man holding the weapon asked him after he realized that the intruder wasn´t one of the undead. “I´m fine”, Gaius replied, and continued: “Do you have a piece of wood and some fire I could borrow? There´s a bunch of undead trapped under a lot of hay out there and I would like to properly take care of them before they can escape.”
“Shoot, d'ya think that is really such a good idea? Sure it´ll take care of these hellspawn there, but ah reckon tha fire´ll spread like, well, wildfire.”
“If you´ve got a better suggestion, I´m all yours.”
“Meh, alrigthy then, fortunately there´s a huge water pipe leading ta mah roof in case a fire emergencies, so ah s´ppose ah´ll just cut it open if it looks like tha flames are gonna spread to tha buildings around it.”
The craftsman let Gaius put a pair of his work-gloves on and reached for a burning piece of wood from his chimney which Gaius accepted and ran out with to set fire to the bale of hay. After he made sure that the smith was on the top of his forge to put it out when the undead looked dead enough or the fire got out of hand, he asked if he could borrow one of his swords and for directions on where to look for persons of authority, both of which the smith provided.

Armed with a brand new sword the young man went to find the town hall, killing undead where he found them alone and sneaking past when they were in larger groups. The rare survivors he found were all separated from him by crowds of undead, so he chose to ignore those poor souls and doubled his pace-...

Spoiler Author´s Note :
Basically this describes how Gaius got to Hiverton after he ran away from home and earned the population´s respect by helping save the city from an attack of Hades' undead hordes with his quick thinking and organizing skills. He finds town hall empty save for some undead and a little girl, which he rescues and takes along. Afterwards he finds out that what is left of the police/military/guards/whatever is on the other side of the river going through Hiverton and focusing their efforts on holding the bridges. He is brought before what´s left of the city´s leadership there and it turns out that the little girl he saved is the daughter of the mayor, who was one of the first do die along with his wife and a lot of other high ranking officials which is why the defense was so chaotic. The guy in charge of the armed forces is a clueless nobleman without actual combat experience and highly incompetent. Gaius criticizes his orders and upon being asked if he has any better ideas he offers plenty of those. The other officers agree with his suggestions and are not only able to hold the line but even go on the offense and in the end clear the entire city of undead.

So ... Uncle ... the early days were just beer and skittles? Well, apart from the Trolls and undead.

Ha. Yes, just beer and skittles and dreams about rocks. I recently heard that the other leaders also dreamed of rocks at this time.

Rocks? Are you sure you don't mean rock and roll. We have all read that your early history about mushrooms, drugs, songs and what not.

Oh no ... these were definitely dreams about rocks. The hard ones that you throw at things. Or sleep on after a particularly long party night.

I think I was fortunate in that my advisers were smarter than the other leader's advisers. You see, the rock dreams didn't bother me too much as we worked out what they were and acted on them.

Hades did hear some strange rumours about the presence of Gaia in Krill. He knew that humans made confusions about Gods and probably they were wrong.

Most of Krill humans were descedents of Earthlings and (even though most of Earth history had been lost) some tribes still had memories of Earth stories, myths and history. He did not give credit to the rumours as what probably occured was that the silly humans had made some sort of confusion between Gaia with some other minor Krill God.

The Lord of the Underworld had seen that the humans killed a few Trolls. Even though a bit surprised by how fast the humans were able to kill so many Trolls, he was happy for this would mean that the humans were getting their hopes up. So he decided to revert his order, as if the humans were able to kill Trolls, they no longer had to be refrained.

It was with this mind setting that - in the end of the 1st year of the destruction - Hades gave the order: “Trolls, seek and destroy! Humans are valid targets again!”

You can't kill the Undead

As the Cho-ko-nu takes aim on the 3rd Fort occupied by an Undead Warrior Phoenix arrives from the North and draws back his bow and takes the shot. The shot is good and the last Undead Warrior falls.

Just then a Troll appears and the Cho-ko-nu spots and takes 3 shots before the Troll dispatched, the Cho-ko-nu screams a WarCry that unearths the dead.

Side by side Phoenix and the Cho-ko-nu take on another Troll arriving to late to fortify in the recently liberated Fort. They both take aim and release, before Phoenix can take a second shot he is cut down with a single swing of the Troll's Pike. The Cho-ko-nu witnesses this and readies his Crossbow for a second shot but an Axeman called Adonis arrives and swings his heavy ax and dismembers it with ease.

Meanwhile in the East Generic spots an Evil Spirit and REINS in on it, running it threw with an immortal ease.

At Sinan's tent the population arrives, Ok everyone! If you weren't aware we are dealing with a GRAVE situation, we are under attack by Hades' Undead minions! At this point Sinan is update that almost single handedly a Cho-ko-nu has dispatched most of the invaders and that we have our first casualty, an Archer named Phoenix.

Sinan waves his hands to get everyone's attention and says "let's all pray to Gaia for his soul and for guidance. An angry Townsman yells out. "If we are under attack, why are we in a meeting?! Sinan counts the available units and says "Yes you are right of course but it's never a bad idea to have a plan.

With that Sinan groups the units and gives out battle orders.

Unknown to Sinan, the Cho-ko-nu is actually Richter, Sinan's son:cool:

Trevor Mustakis mounts his new steed, taking his brand new sword in hand. "In this dangerous world of undead things and battles being raged between good and evil, there are crazed scoundrels who would still attempt to burn our new Camp. These scoundrels must be eliminated before they can cause us further damage. We leave at dawn."

As the red dawn sun rises, Trevor and his longbows march out of the camp, into the trees, hoping to surprise the scoundrels with their pikes not in their hands. At first it is a slaughter with arrows killing men from the trees to their surprise. But the response by the scoundrels was quicker than Trevor expected, as the men scattered into the trees in all directions, surprising the longbows as their short-range fighting abilities were sub-par. Trevor charges with his horse, entering the fray, killing many warriors trying to save his men... but the pikes were too many, Trevor not fast enough, as his longbows lay slaughtered in the forest all around him. With the few remaining pikes too much for a wounded Trevor to fight alone on his horse, he retreats back to Camp. "We lost many men, but their assault will not cause us a problem anymore. Tend to my wounds, I will be back to finish the job..."

Meanwhile phoenix and the Cho-ko-nu swing north spotting another approaching Troll and closes in,

Generic spots a Barbarian Explorer and takes a good a good look at him and passes him by

just beyond the hill he can see another one of Hades' Undead, he moves in and Flanks it while swinging north, the Undead wobbles a bit but finds his own target and damages the Chariot

Just west of Sinan's tent Phoenix and the Cho-ko-nu begin their attack, Phoenix takes aim at the Troll and misses, the Troll's reaction time is much quicker than the last, it must be more experienced, the Cho-ko-nu moves closer and sets up for a shot but as Phoenix pulls back his bow the troll charges and kills Phoenix with one swipe of its Pike, seeing this the Cho-ko-nu takes aim and takes the shot as the troll turns and begins an upswing catching Richter on his arm! Sinan screams from amongst the crowed, RICHTER? MY SON?

Richter looks up at his father when he speaks but looks right through him, as Richter approaches him Sinan says "You've come Home? Where is your Mother my Son?

Richter pays little attention because he spots a Troll on the Eastern border, he walks right by Sinan not acknowledging his father's questions. "I asked you a question Boy!
Richter stops and half turns to reply but says nothing. "I asked you if you've come Home?" I have no home, I have no Mother and I am sure as HELL not your SON!

You stand hear spouting orders while your people fight Hades' minions, why aren't you in the fields too? How's that for a question? We lost phoenix the Archer today, did you know Phoenix? No not well, he was an Archer Sinan said. Correction, He was a Great Archer and we are going to name that new monument town after him, Do you understand!? Shouts Richter

The town

is built and a Barracks within it starts to train more Archers

Quest 7

(Hint Richter we rename these towns)

Monado the Archer witness and reports on the fighting in the East

A runner sent by Monado says we are at war with Gilgamesh, we've liberated 2 Workers and killed both of their Guards. We lost a Catapult in that fight, Oh Oh and Sir Emtea Per se the Knight Hit that Troll a Good one but was caught by that's Troll's Pike and was killed instantly!. So our losses so far are 3, Sinan says.

Good job runner, Now tell them I said to take the Thief's Guild

Richter looks at Sinan and says "With what? Your Spearman and your Swordsman?".
No, I have 2 Catapults and a Trebuchet for support! Now would you lose the attitude and tell me why you said that you had no Mother?

Richter sighs, Mother is Hades Harlot! She is an Undead now and asked me if she could kill me so we can be together always. I took my Crossbow from my back and shot her head off.

My Son. Quit calling me that! If anything I am your Bastard, It takes more than impregnating my mother to be my father! Now why don't you go back in your tent and build something useful!

With that Sinan "Joins City" never to be seen again. And that is how Richter becomes the Leader of NeverNight, with just a few words.

Richter turns and heads for the Troll

It is a golden age for the followers of Dionys, following the completion of the giant stone pyramid temple build by a great engineer hoping to win favor by building the final resting place for Dionys when the gods decree that she must leave this world. Dionys herself fights off more of Hades' minions before traveling back to Camp Nowhere to make a declaration. All women other than herself shall be instituted as slaves and be forced to work to help her cause towards mounting Olympus. Dionys and her top military men are in charge as a police state.

"Build an army!" she decrees to her top men. "Remove the scoundrels to our west so that we may live in peace. Our scouts are returning reports of lush land to our southwest in which we may expand further."

Τheophaneia
Posted to Nighthawk

Gaia I pray for your support, the People of NeverNight agree the fight against the evil is far more important than any us individually, Jacob Grimm moved into a Vulnerable position to distract the Troll so the siege on the Thief's Guide could start uninjured. And now Hades' Minion has moved into a Vulnerable position.

Ohh Gaia it hurts so bad! Please take away the pain?

Mallet Butt? Says the Right Guard, You're alive, Oh my Gaia I'll go get the Phalanx, wait right here.

The Right Guard opens the tent flap and realizes what he just said and smiles, ok the task at hand is find someone, wait who was I looking for?

He looks around and sees no one, funny he thinks to himself, last turn there was several units in the area but it is as if they all went on the campaign. that's right, they are all gone, so now what do I do. He sees Sir Awazza Drunkazz charging south and he sees the troll cut into two and fall.

He steps in the direction of the Knight but stops puzzled :confused: if I go all that way the tent will be undefended but I'm not much of a defender with just this tiny Bow.

Sir Awazza Drunkazz dismounts his steed and kicks the top half of the troll down the hill and the other half down the other side of the hill, he turns to see a Missionary praying, his head pointed toward me, he pauses and the Missionary gets back up and says nothing, and again down on his knees to pray some more. I really think you'd do that all night if I stood here and watched you, wouldn't you?

A runner arrives from the siege, Sir Drunkazz, the Rock throwers are tearing down the defenses of "The Thief's Guild", where is Sinan? Where is Richter? Who's in charge?

Sinan the Great Engineer is part of NeverNight now. You mean? Yes, and Richter is on Campaign at The Thief's Guild.

No he's not. He should be, that's a tough fight over there. How do you know that asked the runner. I can see it from here DUH! Oh alright.

Generic Eric still camps in the East healing his wounds and repairing his Chariot. The Undead south of him has healed and now has the upperhand if it decides to attack.

Is it Night yet? Wait who said that?

Hades has heard too many rumours about Gaia... "can it really be my grandmother??? Naaaaaah! She is on Earth, therefore she can not be here!", he thought. It had to be either a human mistake or a fake impostor.

He decided to send Ganesh to find more information about it. He got angry when Ganesh said that he did not know what she looked like! But as he needed him, he decided not punish him (yet) and showed him one of her images:

Attempting to win the praise of Dionys, the leader of Camp Nowhere, Viktor Griph, has ordered his slaves to build a temple specifically for Dionys to stay at when she is in the camp. When she is not there it is to remain empty, and it is believed that her thoughts and prayers bounce around the hall in her absence. It is from this that the person of Dionys started becoming the legend of Dionys. This temple? When it was empty, Viktor called it "the Oracle".

Meanwhile Dionys, the actual human, rode north and joined her compatriots outside of the walls of a scoundrel city. "Are we ready to invade yet?" she asks? Her disorganized and nameless and minor character leader stammers as he says, "y-y-yes Dionys. We have completed bombardment of their defenses. I hope this pleases you."

Dionys nods her head and says "Commence the attack."

<Sniff> What's that smell?
Well it isn't these pigs, they smell good compared to whatever that is

Wait I see, its three strangers dressed in? Umm,

You there, Who are you and where are you from? asked one of the NeverNight Workers.

My name is Larry, this is my brother Darrel and my other brother Darrel. We really don't have anywhere we can call home, we are just travelers and have been for some time.

What do you want? Just as this question is asked Sir Drunkazz rides up on his War Horse and dismounts. Hmmm interesting he says. What brings you to NeverNight?

Larry steps forward and both Drunkazz and his mount are stunned by an overpowering stench, his mount snorts and staggers backward, Awazza raises his gauntlet to shield himself from the smell coming from the trio. What brings you to our Village? asks Sir Drunkazz

We have some valuable information for the right price, said Larry. Yea 1000 gold pieces said Darrel. Well that's not going to happen, anything you know we will find out eventually provided we are interested at all. The other Darrel says we know something you'll be interested in I guarantee, Darrel says ok we will barter with you Great and smart Knight, 600 gold pieces would be a bargain for anyone.

Sir Awazza Drunkazz grabs his War Horses' reign and mounts it and says If you information is valuable as you say but know one will pay your price the law around here is I will make the next offer and that is 10 gold pieces. Larry says no, three of us can't eat long on 10 gold, the answer is no, no information. The bartering continues and is settled at 100 gold.

The Knight listens to the trio's information and agrees the price was acceptable.

The scoundrel city behind its high walls is heavily defended by veteran longbows. Even after months of bombings, the defenders are numerous, and well entrenched behind large chunks of the broken walls. After the last bombing and on one of her scouting runs, Dionys noticed chariots being brought in the back gates of the city, reinforcements surely prepared to help defend the city against her attack. As she arrives back looking at her meager forces, she wonders whether her attack will succeed or end in massive failure. She speaks to her nameless minor character leader in private, informing him of the reinforcements and well-entrenched defenders.

"What should we do, my lady? If you are correct, there is no way we will be able to take the city."

Dionys: "Prepare your men. Tell them they are outnumbered and only the finest shall survive. However the finest shall be under consideration for promotion. And only my truly finest generals will be considered when I decide to take a bedmate."

Beaming with pride and excited at the opportunity, considering his position, the captain rides fast and hard through his army's temporary encampment, organizing his men together and getting them in formation. He begins speaking, while Dionys watches him from her steed in the back of the formation. The speech is passionate, one of the most highly motivational speeches ever heard by this generation. Motivated and ready to ride (or shoot) he yells "Charge!!" and the attack commences.

The trebuchet rains rocks down on the defenders and the longbows rain their arrows down on the entrenched defenders as the horse mounted men ride into the city, followed by a phalanx marching in their defensive position, and some free-riding crazy men with clubs wandering in between, looking for any target they can find. The attack is bloody and awful, and the nameless minor character is quickly pierced by 3 arrows as he leads the charge, falling dead before he could even reach the walls. The defenders are tough, however a few longbow marksmen manage to fire long range bows into tight spaces, killing entrenched defenders. Dionys herself waits back for the weak point, and then charges into battle once her men have pierced the castle walls. She rides fast as lightning and swoops into the city, herself killing 25 horse archers in about 20 minutes of bloody battle. Seeing her men beginning to be overwhelmed, she yells "Retreat!!" and leads the charge back out of the city and behind the walls of her phalanx. Her men retreat, but the city's defenders were heavily weakened and wounded. She looks at the remains of her force and says "Rest up men, for next month we ride again, and this time, the city will be mine."

The remains of Dionys' invasion are scattered and bloody. Weak and without a leader, Dionys rides hard through the attack campground. She yells at her men to "get up pathetic cretins" and any man who does not move quick enough at her word she shoots with her crossbow before continuing to ride. The men, motivated whether by her looks, her words, or fear of her shot, are quickly gathered together into a small band. She looks around and sees her group of men has shrunken considerably, nothing left but some phalanx, bowmen on foot and a few fellow horse riding marksmen. Looking at the city in the distance, she knows the defenders are few and weak, now is the time to strike for good.

She organizes the formation and tells her men to move out. She flanks the city with her small band of horse archers, riding through the back wall which was left undefended due to lack of men to defend it. Meanwhile, the phalanx march in line, shields up, defending the longbows immediately behind them, who stand up to fire at the defenders before ducking back down behind the phalanx. Defenders arrows simply bounce off the phalanx shields, while the attacking bowmen slowly pick off defenders. As the front force marches into the city, the defenders are squeezed, facing an impenatrable phalanx formation moving towards them, with nowhere to run but to the back gates, where Dionys herself and her lightning fast reflexes shoot the men dead before they can even be blinded by her beauty.

This is how the city was taken, and Camp Anywhere was established.

Fire! The Siege Captain commands,
Both boulders are launched hitting the center of the thieves guild and reducing the cities' defense yet again.

Captain shall we advance? No, hold here! Why?!

Richter limps up to the Trebuchet and commends his work and says "I couldn't have done better myself" He looks at Richter and says "Who are you?

I am your King! Now kneel to me before I sit you on this wall banger and send you over the wall! Hail to the King he says and quickly kneels. Richter tells him to rise, and again thanks him for his work and heads for the front lines.

As he limps through the forest position closer to the town, he sees the Longbowman and his Warrior atop the highest building and says "You there Longbowman! Longbowman guard this area, the rest of you please gather here.

NeverNight units gather around Richter curiously.

The Siege Captains says, "Hey I'm in charge here!, there is no need to do this." Richter turns to him and pats the captain's head like a puppy, smiling but quickly changes his expression and tells him to go to his post. The captain having no idea who Richter is looks around the gathered men and says "Who has challenged me?"

Richter's eyes set squarely meeting the captains eyes, turns with lightning reflexes loads and fires his crossbow at the Longbowman and strikes his quiver splintering a few arrows in the process.

As superstitious and easily manipulated as these people are, they turn and focus on Richter. Richter's fast reflexes again loads another bolt and this time is points it at the captain's head and raises his eyebrows. The Captain looking defeated turns and joins the rest of the men.

Spoiler :
In this story Richter is Sinan's bastard son and is the heir but is unknown to the people of NeverNight and Sinan who has "joined the city" can not vouch for him. He is only now meeting the city's people who have for a long time followed Sinan but do not understand where he has gone.

Minion - My evil one, the human populace under your rule are not happy...

Hades - Off course not!!! It's because of all the pain I inflict!!! :devil:

Minion - actually... well, it's more because they want Emancipation...

HAdes -What??? What is that?

Minion - Well, some humans have something they call 'emancipation'... so our humans also want it...

Hades - Humans are miserable because of what another human, somewhere, is doing???? NOT ACCEPTABLE! They have to be miserable because of the pain that I inflict! Do something about it... NOW!!!

Hades - Are the people still rebelling?

Minion - Well, yes Sir..

Hades - Why is it not solved???

Minion - Well, we could hire performers and artists and please the populace...

Hades - NO!!! I'm Hades... you know, Lord of the underground... do something about it!

Minion - Yes, Sir. I'm working on it...

Top Bottom