People are ALLOWED to criticize.

Very good post! People with constructive critisim on online forums will get blamed as whiners by some hardcore fanbois way too fast these days. Civ5 got issues for sure so lets call them out and hope for improvements!

Too bad the SDK isn't out yet then.

But really, how would a poll make it any better? Because more people think something is wrong with a game, that means it really must be "wrong"? What if there were just 100 copies of me; we'd all be more right than just me saying it by myself? That's ridiculous.

It's obviously implied when I say "something is wrong with Civ 5" that I mean "something is wrong for me". It's a waste of time for you point that out, not to mention pedantic.

I might as well point out that when someone says, "No, design choice X is right", they just mean "right for them".

Umm, not sure I follow. If 90% of consumers hate feature 'x', then feature 'x' was probably a bad move. This doesn't take into account cloning, you're right, but as far as I'm aware this isn't currently an issue outside of bacteria and sheep.

The thing is, is that the most venomous 'haters' aren't saying it in a way that sounds anything like "in my opinion this is wrong". They're saying stuff like, "there's so much wrong with this game that modding isn't going to fix it" (I'm paraphrasing). That's not just an opinion, that's stated as if it were fact, and so we defend.

But there's no discussion going on. Because the venomous haters are so entrenched, any "but that feature means that this is more strategic, etc" opinion is wasted. They don't want to discuss, they just seem to want to write some abuse towards Firaxis, full-stop, no discussion. If it wasn't for those guys then the moderate criticism would lead to a nice healthy discussion from both sides and it'd all be lovely and productive and I daresay people would get some cool ideas for mods.

And then everything would be peachy and lovely. :)

Very good post! People with constructive critisim on online forums will get blamed as whiners by some hardcore fanbois way too fast these days. Civ5 got issues for sure so lets call them out and hope for improvements!
"Fanbois"? How can one be a fanboy after only a few days? It's much more apparent that the "fanboys" here are the Civ IV BTS purists ;)

Anyway, I'm with team lemmy. Be critical, but be constructive. Don't be an ass.

Anyway, I'm with team lemmy. Be critical, but be constructive. Don't be an ass.
You are not with team lemmy if you want constructive criticism. He wants to go to extremes ( even if it is because he's being pushed ), militarize the thing and go eye by eye.

I will agree with you if you slot other condition:

- Be a apologist, but be constructive. Don't be a ass.

If there's a really good post, that's a good call to help build a better community, then feel free to link to it in your signature. Give it a good title, though! :)

"The post I wanted everyone on CFC to see!" or somesuch. (though remember to read the forum rules on signatures, first)

Does the author get any royalties for this? :goodjob:

As for the topic, I agree that criticism should be constructive but as I am also a 'creator of artistic works' I accept that any work I release exposes me to untempered, critical judgement. Sure, some of it can be hurtful but as someone pointed out previously if this is the profession I choose, feedback - however painful - is part of the process.

The hardest aspect for any producer of art to manage is the expectation a particular work may generate. It is understandable that a Civ title will have enormous expectations right of the bat before any updates, expansions etc are even considered.

Critical reception is always relative to expectation.

That's the thing. I think a lot of people have been constructive. People are usually not saying "it's :):):):), don't buy it". We're pointing out what we think is wrong with it, what are its shortcomings. And what do we get back? "You don't like change. You're a whiner. Go back and play IV. Bye."

For example, how they could think the current user interface, city screen etc, was a good idea is beyond me. There is basically no info there. If there is anything an imperialist needs, it's information so he can make wise decisions.

It can be small things like not knowing what improvements can be made on a tile without standing on top of it. Or proper info on the strength of an injured unit, or the range of a unit. Or bigger ones like, well, anything related to empire management. The city screen is basically empty.

I too liked the one-unit a tile and hexagon change. I'm a little worried it will just be a terrible headache moving troops in a war, but overall it looks like a good change. But looking at the bigger picture, I can't help thinking they have dumbed down the game, taken out crucial elements, and not really replaced them. It's been said many times already, but it really does feel like a console game. It doesn't quite feel like Civilization.

Some things can probably be saved by good modders, but given the new user interface and some of the things taken out, unless they decide to put them back in, I'm not sure modders can fix it all.

Then there is the slowness of everything. 18+ turns to build a worker. Seriously? The first 50 turns is basically just building a worker or two, some techs, and removing fog. I think it can get boring and repetitive pretty quickly.

Adding city defence was probably done to prevent early rushes, which is probably a good thing overall. But it has also taken away quite a lot from the early play from the game. You don't really have to worry too much about getting wiped out early, and there isn't a push to find neighbours and wipe them out to grab land. Some of the tactics and pro-cons have gone I think.

Then there is the AI. It's never been great. As with just about every game the AI isn't really good, it just cheats in more ways the higher you go in difficulty. It does seem pretty horrible now, though it will surely be improved with patches. I'm actually not terribly sure it can cope with the new one-tile system and tactics involved. It probably requires more from the AI than the stack of doom.

So here you have some more points with criticism, some of which many others have pointed out too.

You are not with team lemmy if you want constructive criticism. He wants to go to extremes ( even if it is because he's being pushed ), militarize the thing and go eye by eye.

He asked people to be more tactful in their outrage. Clearly that's unacceptable for some people. :crazyeye:

Sorry, I couldn't ignore this.

As a personal favour to me, could you please reread my posts, and then repeat your argument with corrections and retractions, or I'll gladly pick out some choice quotes from my own posts in this very thread welcoming valid constructive criticism and stating categorically it's the insulting and horrible remarks directed toward the developers I object to purely thank yoooooooou.

@Cilpot

If it's unaceptavble for some people to be tactful, there is always the report button. Most of the times those persons posts fill in flamebaiting quite good, and, because of that, are punishable by forum rules. If you flame back, you are also breaking the forum rules, btw :p

@lemmy101

I'll do that in the moment you retract your own comments about me in general just because I suggested that people in both sides had to be equally civilized.

Moderator Action: How about we just back off from the temptation to make this thread personal? There's no need to derail a thread about how someone 'used to be bad', if we're accepting that it's better to just be polite :)

So are we now arguing about which side of the argument we're arguing for? :D

I think the whole of these last few pages can be summarised to, "aren't those people who write criticism phrased as direct insults / veiled threats meanies and horrid?".

There are none of those people in this particular thread so I'm not entirely sure how we've managed to argue about it for so long :D

edit: Oh. Point made above but in funky green writing.

Just for the record: people complaining about Civ5 FAR OUTNUMBER the people who actually like the game. Every time I come to this site, all I see are pages and pages of threads filled with people who :):):):):) and moan about this game. The game isn't perfect, but most people would see this site and think Civilization 5 was the greatest gaming failure in history. Having a community site filled with this much negativity is the definition of "whiners and hardcore fanboys."

I can't stand this site. I'm out. I'll see you all when I'm digging for more info about Civilization 6 when it's announced. Chances are you'll be complaining about that one, too.

"Fanbois"? How can one be a fanboy after only a few days? It's much more apparent that the "fanboys" here are the Civ IV BTS purists ;)

On the contrary, you're far more likely to be a "fanboy" if you were defending the game before you even played it. Did you even see the thread before the game released? There were many, many people arguing against just a few people that all the changes were for the best without even having played the game themselves.

For example

Guy 1 - "I don't think empire-wide happiness sounds like a good idea."

Guy 2 - "No way it's totally awesome!"

Nobody had played the game yet, so how could guy 2 defend it?

And how are the fanboys just "Civ 4 purists"? Lots of the changes are unlike ANY previous Civ, whether 1, 2, 3, or 4. I guess we're just "actual Civilization purists" instead of "bastardizing CivRev console players". ;)

Just for the record: people complaining about Civ5 FAR OUTNUMBER the people who actually like the game. Every time I come to this site, all I see are pages and pages of threads filled with people who :):):):):) and moan about this game. The game isn't perfect, but most people would see this site and think Civilization 5 was the greatest gaming failure in history. Having a community site filled with this much negativity is the definition of "whiners and hardcore fanboys."

I can't stand this site. I'm out. I'll see you all when I'm digging for more info about Civilization 6 when it's announced. Chances are you'll be complaining about that one, too.

I'll admit it, I've just developed a bit of a crush on this guy.

For example

Guy 1 - "I don't think empire-wide happiness sounds like a good idea."

Guy 2 - "No way it's totally awesome!"

You're absolutely right, guy 2 in your example is doing the exact opposite of someone who says "Gah, feature x is rubbish I hate it". It's just an opinion, that's fine - and better still if they procede to justify it.

Nobody has a problem with that (well, I can't speak for everyone but that's the impression I get). We were talking specifically about the people who phrase it in a nasty kind of way, wishing all kind of ills upon the devs. Then the argument sort of spiralled and spilled out all over the place and got messy. But that was the original argument - everything else is just opinion and brilliant and that, because that's surely the whole point of a discussion forum. It would all be rather bland and rubbish if we all agreed :D

See, the problem I have with all the haters is this:

How about a bit of tact? This is the single biggest thing I dislike about this forum since Civ 5's announcement. I work as a game developer (or rather worked, I went indie because I was sick of the commercial games industry) and let me tell you something. In my experience, when you work on a game, you read EVERYTHING. Every review, and thousands of forum posts. Firaxis people will read these forums, and surely out of respect for them and the wonderful years of gaming they've brought you, you could try and be a bit more tactful in expressing your disappointment?

I worked on a little ol' game called Driver 3. Yeah, it sucked. It also took 3 years of MASSIVELY HARD graft, where you end up alienating your friends and family due to working so many late nights, sleep deprived and stressed to hell. You're so close to the game you're working on you start to lose the ability to tell whether what you're working on is good or bad. You do your best and the game goes out there... despite better judgement you scour the internet daily, google alerts, refresh, refresh.... looking for some validation from the gamers for all your hard work... to make you know the toll it took was all worthwhile.

I still remember when I read the savage 5.4 IGN review one night on my PC. I was in tears. It cut really deep. I can't imagine what it would feel like to read some of the stuff that's said on this forum.

You make an interesting point, and I understand where you are coming from. However, for everybody that complains about a game, whether just a quick statement or a long essay, there are just as many people that are hardcore dedicated no matter what...

I know critisism is useful, and Firaxis will obviously count on user feedback both positive and negative but jesus. "Greg and Elizabeth have betrayed us all!" "I wish I could go back in time and give the UI designer an abortion" "Petition to have Elizabeth sacked!" To name but a few that spring to mind, but undoubtedly not the worst.

Yes, these are harsh, but are they any different than the people who quickly bash anybody who has something to say about why they dislike a feature?

It makes me ashamed to be a Civ fan.

It's not about being a Civ fan... it is just about people who dislike hearing others opinions. It is the same here as it is in Washington, DC (or any other government center in the world). Though, I have (half) joked in the past that Civilization Forums do seem to be worse than political ones. ;)

This is why we get pissed off with the haters. Sure you don't like it, but others do, and despite the fact that apparently Firaxis made something that doesn't quite fit your tastes it still is, objectively, an EXCELLENT game whether or not it's an excellent game which has gone in a direction you personally don't approve of. How about you show Firaxis, and all the people who put so much hard work and passion into the game, a little respect?

Still, that goes the other way too. When someone puts up a critique (even if on something minor), then they are quickly made into a villian by the elite fanboys who are blinded by the expectation that Firaxis can do no wrong. The fact is, while I do admire and respect Firaxis, they are not perfect and when they make decisions, it may seem great to them, but turns out to not be a great idea once it is already out there. It happens to everybody from Game Developers to Film Makers to Book Authors to Song Writers (and so on).

Anyway, my point is that respect is a two-way street.

Obviously this doesn't apply to every one of the haters, but an upsettingly large proportion. The vile things I've read on this forum should never be read by someone who have hardly seen their girlfriend for the past six months because they've been slaving away doing a ton of (unpaid, almost definitely) overtime trying to make something you'll enjoy. It's not right. It makes us want to fight back hard against all the haters to show our support, and THIS is why the OP gets the reaction he does.

While I hear ya, the truth is that it all comes with the territory and you have to learn to have thick skin whenever you are making a game or any other creative endeavor. You have to learn to ignore the vile flamers and bashers and, at the same time, take criticism. One thing is for sure, you are never going to please anybody.

I guarantee your 'hard earned money' that you've put into this is not a dot compared to what they put into it. Sure you have rights. But where's their right not to be personally attacked and insulted over what are, at the end of the day, rather trivial and objective differences in opinion in game design? The difference between me and them is, they would get into trouble for responding to the hate, even though I bet every ounce of their beings want to respond and defend themselves. But in that situation you just can't, you just have to sit back and take it on the chin, 'don't let it get to you' and hope the next thing you read is positive.

While I understand that developers may have to make a lot of sacrifices, I would say to be careful when comparing that to an individual's "hard earned money". The thing is, Game Developers are creating a product that is intended to improve an individual's morale (happiness, if you will). When an individual pays $50 for something that they expect to make them happy, and it falls short... even by a little... then yeah, they are going to be upset. For some, that may be their one escape in the wicked, evil and cruel world where they are, in the end, just slaves to the grind and stuck in positions that they cannot get out of because everything is stacked against them so they turn to one thing that lets them feel like they are in power... are the top of the food chain and to have it be underwhelming can really put a sting into that person's emotion and soul.

Ahem, anyway, well, that is just an example... I am purley just speculating here.

So if I get a little defensive and annoyed when people make flippant hurtful remarks that go way beyond constructive criticism, or use unnecessarily violent and hate-filled language, this is why. I know how negative reactions to stuff you work on feels, and I've never read anything 1/10th as bad about my stuff than I've read on here about Civ and Firaxis. Yet some of the stuff I've worked on probably deserve such scorn a lot more than Firaxis, one of the best developers that gamers could possibly ask for, ever could.

'nuf said.

Still, it is not good to look at Firaxis (or any other studio, etc) with rose-colored glasses and act like they can do no wrong.

Now, personally, I am liking CIV 5 enough (so far) despite some misgivens. I am still not a super fan of the 1UPT in Civilization, but I have accepted the change and I am dealing with it. Besides that, I am pretty certain that I won't be going back to CIV IV anytime soon. Though, if I broke it down, I am also certain that I could find plenty of things wrong with the game or out of place. As an example, I feel that the pacing (at least in the early game) is a bit off... but I do have to play some more.

Umm, not sure I follow. If 90% of consumers hate feature 'x', then feature 'x' was probably a bad move.

A bad move for them. Not for the 10% of the people who love the "bad" feature.

I'm glad game designers really don't follow your model for game design, or we'd literally only have 1 game.

I just wanted to point something out to the die hard zealots who think Civ 5 is "perfect" and anyone who has an issue with it to "shut up" and "play Civ 4." I will NOT shut up and I will NOT play Civ 4 because you disagree with a point I'm making.

This all started with a thread I posted on why Earth locations are randomized, and that I enjoy playing earth maps that have historically accurate start locations. I was blasted as a whiner and got a slew of reasons as to why I was "stupid."

I've been playing Civ probably longer than several of these people have been alive. I remember Joseph Stalin as an ANSI blob on the screen. When units were flashing 1D squares. I remember getting Civ 2, which up until Civ 4, was the best release of the game. In fact I played it for almost 8 years after its release. Civ 3 was played a handful of times. I found it to be a great disappointment - until Civ 4. Yes, it was full of bugs at the beginning but it was an excellent release to us "micromanaging" strategy gamers that escape from reality to control our own empire.

I'll make this clear - I am hooked on Civ 5. Like every other Civ game, 12 hours can fly by like an instant. It's always that "just one more turn" thing that keeps me hanging on. But if I want to SUGGEST, as a PAYING customer, that things improve, that's my prorogative. For example - the graphics are not as over the top as we would believe. The interface is the same old and in fact, I sometimes feel as though I'm playing Empire: Total War or something. Civilization was an anomoly that other games tried to rip off and couldn't re-create, but realizing that this was just released, bugs will work themselves out and mods will be created.

StarCraft II lived up to all of the hype. Civ 5, I'm sure, will get there. But don't for an instance try and tell us who would like to see improvements that we are "whiners" who should "go play Civ 4" like you're accusing us of being "climate change deniers." It's absolutely counter productive and makes you sound like an 18 year old who's been told "no" to that $20 hand out and the car keys.

If I want to complain, or make suggestions, then I will do so and I could frankly care less who doesn't like me for it.

If you didn't care what people thought of you, there would be no reason for the above post. But...to be polite...everyone else has a right to their opinion just as you do. So...you have a right to speak..others have a right to wish you didn't and so on. My answer. If you don't want to read things you might feel negatively about then...hmm...don't read them?

And for my own opinion, Starcraft II did NOT live up to it's hype. It's basically the same game. If I wanted to play the first Starcraft with updated graphics...I'd travel back in time...or grab my dusty old copy from ages ago(that never got much play to begin with). Starcraft II went the opposite route and changed...basically nothing...so there's no reason at all for me to buy that.

Top Bottom