People that inspired mankind.

gozpel

Couch-potato (fortified)
There are so many people that invented things, wrote books or just plucked ideas out of their heads and made it happen.

Some guys like Copernicus, Da Vinci, Newton figured out our surroundings, which with added talents like Edison, Bell, Einstein and Hawking to expand on their ideas. Da Vinci was also an artist and an visionary.

In literature we Aristotle (which could also be in the group above), Plato, Shakespeare and the list go on and on and on.

We have music Like Bach, Mozart and so on.

I want you to tell me about another great person, it could be in the two categories I already pointed out or another category which is important, like military or leadership.

The ppl I picked are all dead, except Steven Hawkings, so if you have any names of existing people that could be on a list, please add the and post a link so we can learn from them, who they are and what they do.

Should we make some kind of list, without resorting to polls?

============================================================

Best Engineer:

1: Leonardo Da Vinci.

Best Musician:

1: Johann Sebastian Bach

Best painter:

1: Rembrandt

============================================================

I start small here, so you understand what I want. The lines are for you input only, IF you think Copernicus is better than Da Vinci, you make Copernicus number one, and change Da Vinci to 2.

If you think Mozart is better in music-influence than Bach, same procedure. :)

I want no more than 10-20 people on the list. 10 would be great, but I'm sure there so many names out there, so I give it 20.

IF you have a name of a living person, that is greater than the greats on the list, please submit a link below the lines

Next person just pick another Engineer and put him as number 2 after Da Vinci, or put him as number 1 and make Da Vinci number 2. Explain yourself below the lines

If you have a new category, just put it within the lines after the set entries, and we all fill it up and explain to each other, why this guy or gal was the best.

If you get my point, I think this thread will last for ever. :) And giving us all lots of stuff to read up on and to see different things.

At least, give it a try. It's easy to change a number in quote and add your own.

Best charismatic leader

Is it Jesus or Hitler? Indeed, did Hitler really exist?

Also, to make the confusion easier to understand, every set will have 20 people, like 20 Engineers. Number 20 on that list is the only one that can be replaced by a better one, don't take out number 19-18 or what ever. If all lists are at 20 ppl, then you really need a reason to kick someone else out, to take spot 20.

I can see how this progresses, I only added a few obvious line-ups, we have so much more that inspired folks back then and we also have people doing it now to us. Don't forget to share your favourite people with us, so we can learn more.

The list only have 3 categories now, what's the next?

Best charismatic leader

Is it Jesus or Hitler? Indeed, did Hitler really exist?

Come on, Borachio!

You talking leader, put it in after the other entries on the list. Best leader
Don't destroy the idea by "charismatic".

I'm trying to get something fun going on here, without silly stuff in the first post.

Oooooh! Pardon me, I'm sure.

(Not sure I want to play now. *sniff*)

================================================== ==========

Best Engineer:

Best Musician:

Best painter:

1: Rembrandt

Best Comedian:

1: Robin Williams

2: Borachio

================================================ ==========

Don't spoil it mate and don't sook, you are way better than that! :) Look at the list and smile.

No. I was joke-"sooking", honestly. ;)

Best Engineer:
1: Brunel

2: Leonardo Da Vinci.

Best Musician:
1: Beethoven

2: Johann Sebastian Bach

3: Mozart

4: Haydn

Best painter:
1: Picasso

2: Magrit

3: Van Gogh

4: Rembrandt

Best Comedian:

2: Spike Milligan

3: Peter Sellars

=============================================

Best Scientist:
Charles Darwin

Because he had no choice but to accept the uneasy conclusion he came up with. He felt very uncomfortable with his findings. The idea he came up with to explain the immense complexity was immensely simple. It seems so obvious to us, but was unthinkable in his time.

Best Engineer:

Best Musician:

Best painter:

Best Comedian:

2: Spike Milligan

3: Peter Sellars

13: Borachio

Please explain Brunel to us, Borachio and the other too, we need to know why they are there on the list. Links will be good. And thanks for you contribution. :)

Ziggy: qoute the other post and put Darwin where you thinks he belongs. Takes a minute at the most. :) And I agree, he belongs on the list.

But then, Darwin was a scientist and other stuff.
We have no scientists on the list, so create one!

Best Engineer:

Best Musician:

Best painter:

Best Comedian:

1: Lenny Bruce

2: Robin Williams

3: Spike Milligan

4: Peter Sellars

Best Scientist:

1. Charles Darwin

2. Alan Turing

3. Sir Isaac Newton

Is that a young Frank Zappa?

Please, if you're not in a stress situation, could you expand on the list or create another order?

I know the man, but where are we going to put him? Scientist?

You do it, it's our thread so create a science-thread.

Please.

I'm not allowed to moderate the forums, if I wake up tomorrow and have 200 posts to fix, it's not on anymore.

Just use quote, change a couple of numbers by copy&paste, takes like a minute.

Best Engineer:

2: Brunel

Best Musician:

2: Beethoven

5: Paganini

Best painter:

Best Comedian:

20: Adam Sandler

Best Scientist:

1. Steven Hawkings

2. Charles Darwin

3. Alan Turing

4. Sir Isaac Newton

Best leader:

1: Olof Palme

If you have specific people, pls give us a link so we can learn more.

Ok, I'll just use wiki.

Lenny Bruce

This was the moment that an obscure yet rapidly rising young comedian named Lenny Bruce chose to give one of the greatest performances of his career. ... The performance contained in this album is that of a child of the jazz age. Lenny worshipped the gods of Spontaneity, Candor and Free Association. He fancied himself an oral jazzman. His ideal was to walk out there like Charlie Parker, take that mike in his hand like a horn and blow, blow, blow everything that came into his head just as it came into his head with nothing censored, nothing translated, nothing mediated, until he was pure mind, pure head sending out brainwaves like radio waves into the heads of every man and woman seated in that vast hall. Sending, sending, sending, he would finally reach a point of clairvoyance where he was no longer a performer but rather a medium transmitting messages that just came to him from out there — from recall, fantasy, prophecy. A point at which, like the practitioners of automatic writing, his tongue would outrun his mind and he would be saying things he didn't plan to say, things that surprised, delighted him, cracked him up — as if he were a spectator at his own performance.

I also picked him because he inspired people like George Carlin, Bill Hicks and Jon Stewart.

I take it the 3 scientists need no introduction ;)

Best Engineer:

2: Brunel

Best Musician:

2: Beethoven

5: Paganini

Best painter:

Best Comedian:

20: Adam Sandler

Best Scientist:

1. Steven Hawkings

2. Charles Darwin

3. Alan Turing

4. Sir Isaac Newton

Best leader:

1: Olof Palme

Best writer:

1. Shakespeare

2. Mark Twain

3. Dickens

4. V.S. Naipaul
V.S Naipaul

Who's Olof Palme, or Sandler? I've never heard of them.

Still, is this just about the "best" people in their field, or must they actually have inspired mankind? In some, as yet, undefined way.

I'd include A. Einstein in the list of scientists and L. Tolstoy in the list of writers.
Both somewhere in top three.

Top Bottom