Persian Golden Age Immortal Rush

flairin

Prince
I was just now watching a "Lets Play" with Persia and the player kept selling his gpt for a lump sum. His goal was for RA's and hence, an early Science victory. I've never sold GPT for a lump sum.

I was wondering if anyone out there has tried an early unit rush during a Persian 30-40 turn Golden Age. During Golden Ages sometimes you could be getting like 100 GPT or more. Has anyone sold their gpt to other civs for a lump sum and just bought a ton of units? I mean, you will get your gpt back after 30 turns so you wouldn't be too far in the tank once the Golden Age was over. I was thinking if you already had like 10 units, had pre-builds of several other units, and then bought another 15 during the Golden Age you could probably sweep several civs in 30-40 turns with an army of nearly 30!! The Golden Age could be extended longer since you may be getting several Great Generals...

Are unit costs lower during Golden Ages?? Thoughts??

Don't forget that if you've sold your gpt, and bought lots of new units, you'll still need lots of gpt to keep them. The maintenance still has to be paid, or you'll be at a big disadvantage. Units eat up gpt quite quickly...

However, to answer you, yes, I've sold various things, gpt, cities, etc to the AI and bought units to crush them with several times. But, I've not done it with Persia, I don't think.

I've tried that strategy a few times with Persia, it is a good tactic if you have enough gold to maintain the units after the golden age or if you want to disband the units after conquering.

I usually use it when I dont want to be low on gold reserve for a few turns when I purchase units for war, normally I keep a buffer of 500-600 coins in case of an emergency. Call me risk averse or anything :p

I often sell GPT for cash - I frequently use this technique to gain my first worker. You can also sell GPT for cash imediately prior to declaring war on the trading partner, but this is cheeting and I try to avoid it.

If you use the GPT for a large enough army, then you might not actually care if maintenance throws you into negative cash flow. If you can win the game with immortals, then it doesn't matter if you suffer a science penalty for your financial deficit.

Top Bottom