Pirates Scenario Discussion

2. I guess it's getting much easier to play when you get bonuses like "additional attack" and "movement possible after attacking", so those bonuses might get balanced better.
I'm thinking of putting those OP relic abilities in promotion tree only - Bonny Bracer's Pistols relic would be cooler as giving "immune to take-over" to all ships.
3. For convenience, in future updates a mark or a number could be added to a ship icon to show that it has some crew.
Or such unit "charge" could better be shown in that white scroll and unit promotions should get a rank mark shown instead.
4. Is the Hoarder overpowered?..
Maybe, if playing "non-friendly" MP games. (I'm mostly playing "friendly" MP where Swashbuckler seems to be best.)

How do you setup a "friendly" MP game? Or do you just agree with other players to not attack each other?
I check the "Private game" box - playing with RL friends. [pimp]

What do you think about a change of Bonny Bracer's Pistols relic abilities to just give "immune to take-over" to all ships?

Last edited:
What do you think about a change of Bonny Bracer's Pistols relic abilities to just give "immune to take-over" to all ships?
Sounds interesting:thumbsup: But it's only applicable against other human player pirates so they can't capture your ships... So it has little power. Bonny Brace of Pistols as it is is quite fun, but might be nerfed a bit:)
Anyway, I find myself always ending up with Bonny Brace of Pistols, Cursed Lucky Pieces of Eight and North Sea Wind Fishing Floats slotted:), only occasionally switching from North Sea Wind Fishing Floats to Black Spot Branding Iron for killing those Infamous Pirates faster.
I guess Firaxis could tweak game balance a bit.

Sounds interesting:thumbsup: But it's only applicable against other human player pirates so they can't capture your ships... So it has little power. Bonny Brace of Pistols as it is is quite fun, but might be nerfed a bit:)
Anyway, I find myself always ending up with Bonny Brace of Pistols, Cursed Lucky Pieces of Eight and North Sea Wind Fishing Floats slotted:), only occasionally switching from North Sea Wind Fishing Floats to Black Spot Branding Iron for killing those Infamous Pirates faster.
I guess Firaxis could tweak game balance a bit.
Yes, Bonny Brace of Pistols will allways be slotted here. (Unslotting it will actually disable all "move after attack" - even the promoted ones.) Same to Kracannon. That's why I want them nerfed (put into promotion trees).
I think Kracannon would better have Blackbeard's Short Fuse abilities (movement reduction, et c), while the latter would get new ones - additional attack after being hit.

Edit: I second (+1) the North Sea Wind Fishing Fleet is another favourite, hence it has to go too - the usefulness of it benefits quantity, adding snowball effect.

Last edited:
I'm going to mess around in a modded version. ATM looking in the promotion file..
Did some small changes to Bring Her Home: changed the bounce (cooldown) time from 5 to 1 and lowered the reward from 100 gold to 20 gold - should increase survivability (and usefulness) for Privateers (but decrease income).

It's funny how the November update fixed none of the bugs in Pirates Scenario listed in the bug section of this forum, at least judging from the full patch notes. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Anyway, I hope Firaxis fixes more bugs in the next update.

And now a question regarding our favorite "Chainshot":lol: for those who tried: Can the affected unit at least careen or promote?

It's funny how the November update fixed none of the bugs in Pirates Scenario listed in the bug section of this forum, at least judging from the full patch notes. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) Anyway, I hope Firaxis fixes more bugs in the next update.
In fairness it's only been a month (a little less actually) since it was released. More serious gameplay-breaking bugs have sometimes taken months to fix. There were four items in the patch notes, however. The one with the trader boats was one I had already fixed in my own mod though.
  • Infamy points were incorrectly labeled when viewing the HUD Ribbon.
  • Fixed an issue in the Pirates scenario where the trader boats would change to modern boats after a certain amount of turns.
  • Fixed an issue where the Dowsing Rod would always be the last Relic to be discovered.
  • Fixed an issue where the Infamous Pirate Jack Rackham was not appearing.

In fairness it's only been a month (a little less actually) since it was released. More serious gameplay-breaking bugs have sometimes taken months to fix. There were four items in the patch notes, however. The one with the trader boats was one I had already fixed in my own mod though.
  • Infamy points were incorrectly labeled when viewing the HUD Ribbon.
  • Fixed an issue in the Pirates scenario where the trader boats would change to modern boats after a certain amount of turns.
  • Fixed an issue where the Dowsing Rod would always be the last Relic to be discovered.
  • Fixed an issue where the Infamous Pirate Jack Rackham was not appearing.
Yeah, we'll have to wait longer...
There are more patch notes for the Pirates scenario, by the way:
  • [AI] Placed a bigger emphasis on raiding for AI in Pirates scenario.
  • [UI] Fixed text overlaps in Pirates scenario.
As for the trader boat bug, it didn't even notice it )

As for the trader boat bug, it didn't even notice it )
They mentioned Trader ships, but I wonder if they fixed the land trader unit as well. I had to fix both of them. Fwiw, if you take a city and build a settler it shows as a modern vehicle, which was something else I corrected. Another annoying thing is that the city garrison graphics update too quickly so you eventually get modern units attacking and defending. I fixed it so it stays as Musketmen & Field Cannons throughout the game.

They mentioned Trader ships, but I wonder if they fixed the land trader unit as well. I had to fix both of them. Fwiw, if you take a city and build a settler it shows as a modern vehicle, which was something else I corrected. Another annoying thing is that the city garrison graphics update too quickly so you eventually get modern units attacking and defending. I fixed it so it stays as Musketmen & Field Cannons throughout the game.
You mean when you capture a city as a Pirate? But this shouldn't happen! This was the first thing they should've fixed.

I suppose I have to watch the video to figure out how to play this thing. I missed the video in October, haven't had the time. How do you get more crew? Do you get them at ports? Seems like once I captured a ship, I had no crew left to do anything except attack and kill other ships. I got my achievements now, so probably won't play it again.

It's a problem this and black death has. There's no good indication how to play. Red death is fairly easy. You kill and survive.

I suppose I have to watch the video to figure out how to play this thing. I missed the video in October, haven't had the time. How do you get more crew? Do you get them at ports? Seems like once I captured a ship, I had no crew left to do anything except attack and kill other ships. I got my achievements now, so probably won't play it again.

It's a problem this and black death has. There's no good indication how to play. Red death is fairly easy. You kill and survive.

Yes, you get crew at ports (adjacent to colonial cities) by pressing the "Visit a tavern" button in the ship's action interface.

Thankfully, there's a First Look video for the Pirates Multiplayer Scenario:
Also, you should definitely read the quick tutorial (click the question mark next to the "Play pirates" button in the multilplayer menu).
You can also check my post at Pirates Scenario Discussion for how much gold different actions provide (gold is pretty important in this scenario).
It actually took some time for me to learn how to play it) But I rather enjoy the scenario.

Enjoy!

UPDATE: My feedback after playing around 27 games.
I now enjoy playing the scenario as it is. Sure, a quality of life update of adding a mark or a number to a ship icon to show that it has some crew would be welcome, as well as Chain Shot ability nerfing and bug fixes, but otherwise it's a pretty interesting scenario that combines the fight between pirate factions and challenge of gathering the most gold and points.

I like playing 'quick games' by setting the turn timer to a 60-80 sec per turn limit and choosing a small map. This way it's more dynamic and lasts around 1 hour.

Last edited:
It's weird that the Chain Shot ability is still unnerfed... Because when creating a game of Pirates, I ask opponents to avoid picking the Hoarder...

What a complete waste of time and money that could have been invested in improving the core game.

Top Bottom