Place to Compare Notes Among Players About Gameplay, Bugs, or Suggestion & Request Before Asking Leoreth

Anybody know about the Brazil spawn? I was playing a few different games as Portugal and noticed they spawned when i was Solid but didn't another time when I was in single digit stability.

The way it's written in the Condtional Spawn section is that every player with a city in their birth area must be Solid for them not to spawn.

The way it's written in the Condtional Spawn section is that every player with a city in their birth area must be Solid for them not to spawn.
I also encountered the same while playing England: no matter how many reloads Canada still spawned despite:
- me having full control of their spawn area
- being solid (30+ points)
- reloading and bulbing two GPs for golden era and even further stability points
- random seed on reload was up
I can provide the save game if useful

The reason for that is that certain civilizations are considered "critical" when you are playing as a specific civilization. Generally, a civilizations neighbours are considered critical to it, but also civilizations with historical connections. This is to ensure that the civilizations the player civ had most historical interactions with are actually pleasant in the game.

Its main impact is on slots assignment, where these civilizations are basically beating out everyone to have a slot assigned to them, even making some unstable civilizations collapse to accomplish this when all slots are occupied. But I also made the "critical" civilization override the conditions to block its spawn. Canada is considered critical for England, and Brazil is considered critical for Portugal (in part because these relationships are symmetrical and the parent nations should be present when playing the colonial nations), so it was impossible for them to actually prevent their spawn.

I am unsure why I made this decision originally, but on review I don't think it makes much sense - these civs are the most likely to colonise the territory belonging to these colonial civs, so to bar them from preventing their spawn puts into question why there is a rule to prevent spawns in the first place. Since it's not that easy to be Solid anyway, I think it's fine to remove this exception.

Does anyone know what maybe could be an "expected" date for a Polish beeline of Civil Liberties? I just got beat to it by Korea in a monarch 3000 BC start at year 1505...seems early for little 2-city Korea to pull that off

Does anyone know what maybe could be an "expected" date for a Polish beeline of Civil Liberties? I just got beat to it by Korea in a monarch 3000 BC start at year 1505...seems early for little 2-city Korea to pull that off
It depends on the difficulty level and whether the game is on Epic/Marathon (I only play those 2). The short answer is that in the 3000BC most of the "get X tech first" goals for European civs boarder on impossible. I've never won as Poland in the 30000BC start. I'm sure better players than me have had more success, but that's my personal experience. (I always play Monarch--I think.)

Hi all,

So I was playing a recent game on Monarch, epic speed, with a 600AD start. I began as Spain and conquered the Incas and Aztecs. Then ~1600 I switched to France. Shortly, after I again switched to Prussia in 1700. Then around ~1725, Spain collapsed back to its core, losing Morocco, Mexico, the Philippines and Southern Italy (all of its empire). However, for some reason its territory in Peru (former Inca) was "inherited" by France. I was wondering if anybody else has seen something similar happen, and if so, whether this was a known bug or intentional?

It does make a certain amount of sense to me that if 18th century Spain had collapsed, its empire might've fallen to Bourbon France, so I just kept on playing, but I wasn't sure if this was a bug or not and was hoping that somebody might have some insight!

It depends on the difficulty level and whether the game is on Epic/Marathon (I only play those 2). The short answer is that in the 3000BC most of the "get X tech first" goals for European civs boarder on impossible. I've never won as Poland in the 30000BC start. I'm sure better players than me have had more success, but that's my personal experience. (I always play Monarch--I think.)
Do most people play on marathon? I feel like it makes the most sense but I’m just too impatient to do it

Do most people play on marathon? I feel like it makes the most sense but I’m just too impatient to do it
Well, Leoreth said that normal difficulty is the one he balances the game for, so playing on normal should make more sense. But I really prefer marathon cause normal is too rapid for me. On marathon it is feel like you have much more freedom to do stuff and are not so much restricted with time, even if everything costs triple, while on normal you sometime don't have enough turns to move your units on position.

Well, Leoreth said that normal difficulty is the one he balances the game for, so playing on normal should make more sense. But I really prefer marathon cause normal is too rapid for me. On marathon it is feel like you have much more freedom to do stuff and are not so much restricted with time, even if everything costs triple, while on normal you sometime don't have enough turns to move your units on position.
I prefer marathon for its unit mechanics but find that its lacking in other important ways---for instance the increase in tech costs makes the AI extra unwilling to trade techs and civs seem to collapse less. I used to prefer marathon but I've recently settled on epic as my favorite for pre-America civs with the exception of Rome, Greece, and Persia (where my armies just need time to walk).

I prefer Marathon game speed, but only if it is combined with Paragon difficulty to make up for the advantage you get from being able to move your units more.

I have seen this a few times, so sorry if I missed the solution, but I’m near the 20th century and Britain still won’t talk to me as America. Is there a way to just change this in the diplomacy screen on the Platybuilder? I know I saw the fix in the Git changelog, but I’m not familiar with using Github to do pulls…

Is it possible to stop the spawn of New World civs when I am an overlord of European colonial civs? Which stability matters more, the stability of myself or the vassal?

Is it possible to stop the spawn of New World civs when I am an overlord of European colonial civs? Which stability matters more, the stability of myself or the vassal?
Vassal, since the spawn rules are based on the stability of *any* civs that own cities in the conditional civ's birth area. In principle, yes the spawns can be stopped. In practice, while there are direct tools available to you to facilitate your subjects' stability, these are still limited and subject to AI decision-making, e.g. switching from the super-stable civic combo you'd just ensured they would follow. I'm curious who you are playing as and what the situation is.

Vassal, since the spawn rules are based on the stability of *any* civs that own cities in the conditional civ's birth area. In principle, yes the spawns can be stopped. In practice, while there are direct tools available to you to facilitate your subjects' stability, these are still limited and subject to AI decision-making, e.g. switching from the super-stable civic combo you'd just ensured they would follow. I'm curious who you are playing as and what the situation is.
I am Rome controlling Spain, France, Portugal, and Britain as vassals. They always seem to lose their colonies regardless of anyone's stability.

I've managed to avoid the Brazil spawn by being Solid in 1812-1822, but later I was Shaky in 1847 and they broke free. Anyone know what the rule is there? Would being Stable have saved me? I just want my Dutch Brazil game...

I've managed to avoid the Brazil spawn by being Solid in 1812-1822, but later I was Shaky in 1847 and they broke free. Anyone know what the rule is there? Would being Stable have saved me? I just want my Dutch Brazil game...
They wan't spawn if you solid few turns before their birthday, and if you stable after. If you unstable or shaky - their can spawn. Sometime reload (~8 turns or more) can help. If you do something, maybe another civs will spawn (Arabia, Greece etc)

The original spawn and later respawns follow different rules. Depending on the circumstances being shaky is sufficient for a respawn. Respawns don't require the civ having spawned in the first place.

Hi all, necro'ing this thread since I don't think what I'm experiencing is a bug. I'm playing as Italy, and after Portugal asked me to be their master, I was dragged into a war against Spain. Portugal had already lost Lisbon to Spain, so I conquered Lisbon from Spain with the intention of giving it back to Portugal. It wouldn't allow me to do this after I conquered the city, so I first thought I needed to peace Spain and the other countries I was at war with out. I did this, and I still couldn't give Lisbon back to Portugal. I tried waiting around for 10 turns, and that didn't work. I saw on another thread that to give cities back to vassals, you have to do it through the colony screen. I went to the colony screen and was greeted with what you see in the attached screenshot. I can give the city back to Spain, but not Portugal. Is there any legit way to return this city to Portugal? Or do I just have to influence events so that Portugal is the one who marches their units back into Lisbon?

Attachments

• Can't give Lisbon to Portugal.png
    Can't give Lisbon to Portugal.png
    5.1 MB · Views: 45
Top Bottom