Playing wide warmonger for the first time and need help

In my experience, going honor you will have better trained units against AI once you get to the xp sp. Rarely do you see more than level 4 AI units actually. Right side Honor 2nd policy will give you both culture/happiness per city. All you need is to park a unit, probably a scout in each city, it can come even before you have all your monuments up. Finally the finisher is a huge deal on deity when AI spams his units. It's considerably weaker on lower difficulties.

Actually you should read the following guide by consentient, he's a much better warmonger he does compare between the 2 styles somewhere in there. He also gives general idea on what tech to take and why.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=547630

The promotion that's really crucial is logistics because its like having an extra xbow. You save production on something else and you could get range over that.

Do you mean the military tradition policy? That policy is so bad. It makes NO difference at all it is in actuality 33% because every time your unit battles it gains 3 XP 150% of 3 is 4.5 but civ rounds it down so you get 4 XP instead of 3. That makes 0 difference.

Logistics is amazing. But not so much on units with 2 or less movement points. I guess i take it sometimes on XB if i know they will do a lot of fighting (logistics makes your units attack twice and therefore level up twice as fast) because then I can get range easily. But i usually take range right away because I need that range immediately. Logistics is literally OP in single player with frigates and BS's. I once soloed an entire army of ironclads and privateers with ONE Frigate because i had exploration and great lighthouse allowing me to attack twice then run. But logistics should be used for cavalry with charge or naval units and bombers.

Military tradition just helps you get there sooner but you may not always need it.

It is not worth the social policy man. I would rather get ANYTHING else at that point besides aesthetics. I mean srsly? You would just rather have a barracks and armory to level up your guys. By the time military tradition becomes useful you already got autocracy's total war tenet. Barracks armory military academy and maybe Alhambra and or Brandenburg Gate(Brandenburg is just to prevent others who dont have autocracy to have triple promoted units).

Yes, the whole point of my post is you either go all in for honor, or none. You don't go into honor to just pick 1-2 policies. Full Liberty or Full Tradition, followed by full Honor then Autocracy is valid for modern era domination, but strictly slower than simply going XB/CB domination. In fact I did it for the Germany DCL to experience panzer spam.

Yeah, it sounds like tom is starting out with a non honor start. If you start with something else, you would get to military tradition late.

I always dont go honor first. because honor is useless to me when starting off. Tradition and Liberty are just better. Yes you may dominate early with honor(you actually dont the first policy is specifically for barbs and the second is discipline which is ok and the 3rd policy is useless as i explained. And besides military tradition late is better than getting it early as battleships with logistics is better than faster promoted warrior and archers. But if your point is just to show me a cool strategy. Then i respect that and politely decline it. But liberty is better for wide empires.

I think everyone covered the continents trick quite well, just take over everyone in your continent before you meet the other continents. As for Pangaea I have a couple of quirky tips that work pretty well:

If there are any warmongers or just plain powerful civs, just bribe them into attacking a neighbor or even better, a city state. They normally win the war and get a huge diplo hit and everyone hates them. Makes it easier for you to get a coalition to destroy them and you can take their capital then liberate the city state for only a minor diplo hit.

If the warmonger attacks another civ, make sure they wipe out the other civ. That way when u attack the warmonger, you get two capitals and then you can bring back the conquered civ in a minor city. If you do this to one warmonger it's very helpful, if you manage to get a warmonger to take two civs, then it's a downright cake walk. The revived civs will never be significant to bother you later on, and they'll put up with a lot more of your warmongering than the other civs. Also once you get into late game and are gobbling up cities in quick succession, you can gift the lesser cities to your revived buddies and they'll either raze em for you or puppet them, either way the happiness penalty is off your hands.

Speaking of happiness, always get into big coalition wars and (like I keep saying, make em happen if they don't happen naturally) stay at war, even if tbe war is going on somewhere far from you. You don't get any more warmonger penalty for staying at war for longer period. Once the enemy is willing to give you all their treasury (in the late game this can be immense sums, like enough to buy a whole spaceship) or all their cities. When they give you their cities, just sell them off to the highest bidder or gift them to the weakest power. Usually the weakest power is so weak, a couple shiny, new cities will be irrelevant to their influence in the world.

Also if the Huns are in the game, make them ur ally and give them cities you conquer that you don't want. They'll stick with you even through all your warmongering, basically until the end, and they'll burn all the cities you gift them extra quick, making your campaign that much more efficient.

Summary: Trick the AI by instigating warmongers, liberate their conquest but keep capitals, force every war to end with either their whole treasury or their cities, sell/gift all non-essential cities.

It depends, if the Huns are next to you, you should attack them first thing. Otherwise they will start and attack you around turn 40-50 unless you bribe.

A couple of things:

1. Know when to go a hunting. Crossbows is the first really good upgrade. Also look at the civ-specific unique units. With China for instance, the cho-ku-nos give you the double tap crossbows - instantly almost doubles the size of your power.

2. You need friends - have other civs (far away) go to war with the same civ you want to invade (close by) preserve as many relationships as you can for as long as you can.

Pangea maps could be more tricky than other continent maps because everyone is in the same piece of land which allows Ai with open borders attack a lot easier since Ai doesnt usually know what it wants. As long as you defend yourself and dont allow the civilizations to take your towns then things would seem to be working well.

Actually pangea is much easier than continents type for domV. You need to plan a transition into naval tech for continent or switch VC to peaceful and that always add turns. Everyone close by doesn't matter much for domination. You can simply manipulate who attacks who by bribing or asking ai to be in the same war as you. As long as they're fighting, they won't invade your land. Eventually AI hates each other and can't get OB or RA and that really helps. Also one fact is you can safely ignore warmonger penalty with another civ if the civ you plan to attack is also the enemy of the former. That's the reason I generally love to friend the warmonger civs on domV since they are easily bribed into wars and you get massive diplo from being in the same wars and sometimes they will stay loyal until the end when it's their turn to die.

Naval techs could cost more but they do pay off. Fleets with ranged units cause greater damage than land units even.

I agree, pangea is easier for Dom victories as there are less logistics (no pun intended) involved in invading other Civs - you can just plow your way across the vast land mass!! Small Continents/Continents are a bit tougher. Archipelago/tiny islands can go either way - if you focus your Civ on being a maritime power then it can be easy to win a Dom. It helps being somebody like Carthage/England/Ottoman who are all suited to naval combat and travel - GL and exploration also help!

Top Bottom