Poland, my new favourite

WTF? Did we both start Clone Games last night? I started a game as Poland, had Warsaw founded on a river at the coast, and quickly found 8 -count 'em - 8 Incense in my first three city sites - plus wine where I placed Krakow. I raked in Faith from Goddess of Festivals, and cash (eventually) by trading Incense to all and sundry.
Oh, and Bismarck is my nearest neighbor - luckily, on the other side of a 1 - tile wide isthmus where I placed my third city as a fortified cork. Also got 7 pastures in my first city sites, so the Ducal Stables are cranking out gold for me. Lovely Civ, even if Dr Duffy used to say that learning Polish could cause brain damage ... ;)

This is eerie. I played a game the day before yesterday, that was almost this same scenario. I was cashing in on 8 total tiles of incense for the rest of the game. I seemed to be the sole world supplier, so I was able to trade it with everyone. I eventually pursued a dom/culture game, stealing culture wonder till it was just me and France v. Polynesia. And France succumbed to my culture. Poland was quite fun with the winged hussar, and I had crazy amounts of social policies, ending with three branches full, dipped in other, and two 3rd level tenets in autocracy. Does Poland have some sort of bizarre start bias toward incense? Or just a strange coincidence?

Well, if you ever decide to make a living in the design field, I'd suggest developing some taste first.

Best comment ever.

This is eerie. I played a game the day before yesterday, that was almost this same scenario. I was cashing in on 8 total tiles of incense for the rest of the game. I seemed to be the sole world supplier, so I was able to trade it with everyone. I eventually pursued a dom/culture game, stealing culture wonder till it was just me and France v. Polynesia. And France succumbed to my culture. Poland was quite fun with the winged hussar, and I had crazy amounts of social policies, ending with three branches full, dipped in other, and two 3rd level tenets in autocracy. Does Poland have some sort of bizarre start bias toward incense? Or just a strange coincidence?

Incense spawns only on Plains and Desert tiles, and Poland has a bias to spawn in Plains. Plains are also often adjacent Desert tiles. It seems that Poland's spawn bias has a side effect of increasing the odds you will find Incense nearby.

This is eerie. I played a game the day before yesterday, that was almost this same scenario. I was cashing in on 8 total tiles of incense for the rest of the game. I seemed to be the sole world supplier, so I was able to trade it with everyone.
A good candidate for my Mughals' civ idea (see sig).

As the title says, I love their UA. To be able to get one free policy for each era is for a peaceful and cultural bias player like myself so much fun and it's really good too. And they have in my opinion the nicest colorscheme to (I'm a bit of a design freak).

Any other Polish fans out there?

Well, I'm with you in both: FAVORITE Civilization AND COLOR Scheme. And I'm a designer. A fairly succesful one. Taste is a VERY subjective thing.

Thanks for this thread.

:)

Love the UA simply because it can go so many directions. Also the value of their UB can not be overstated, of all the unique resource improvements pastures are one of the most common nearly every city you found will have access to one pasture and in the 1 game i played as poland i seemed to have great luck finding spots to settle with access to 3-5 pastures. Thats a significant production bonus for any city especially since it becomes available so early on.

Modders, I would give you all of the things. Pls.

UA: Female leaders have a permanent -5 diplomatic relation with Urkel. During a golden age, This penalty is lost and replaced with a new one. +200 to diplomatic relations with female leaders, Female leaders will submit to any trade or diplomatic request Urquelle proposes. Any civilization at war with Urquelle will be at war with all female civilizations as well.

I can imagine the sound files with his voice..

"Ya got any cheese..?" (Offering a deal)

"Did I do thaaaaat?" (Upon declaring war)

Plus, his "Golden Ages" could be changed to "TGIF," haha..

Alternatively, he'd make a good Science Advisor. :lol:

What's not to like about seven free Oracles? The plains bias can result in a top production capital. Red and Black looks cool and strong IMO.

And Winged Hussars coming out of Ducal Stables come with interesting tactical options on the battle field (reminds me of the Ger and Keshik of C4).

You can call it bland or you can call it solid.

That was pretty snarky.

I'm a designer and I like Polands color scheme too. Red and dark red go well together.

Yes, but don't you find it unusually sharp? Like, every other Civ blends in with the map and UI so much better, they're significantly less saturated, while some of their combinations aren't the best, they're not so... loud.

Poland, it's like the artist came up with it during a night of jagerbombs and crystal meth, I just find that it clashes too much with everything else. It's in the same "Vivid as f***" category as Egypt, but at least yellow fits with the tan interface and earthy map textures. Entirely subjective of course, my favorite is still Carthage, such a comfortable style without being dull. Possibly on the opposite spectrum as Poland.

To each their own though, right?

You guys are perfectly welcome to being wrong. :mischief:

I don't care for Poland's colors but they don't bug me as much as I expected in the game.

I will definitely be trying Poland out in my next game. First was ShoShone, now it's Morocco, next will be Poland.

Cheers.

The thing with Poland is that there is a secondary effect from the free social policies. That is that you have a shot at every single wonder. I played as them and that is the only thing I used the free social policies for after the initial rush to get through tradition and liberty. I was able to beat everybody else on so many wonders because I didn't have to wait around to get the right social policy and could build right when I got the new tech. But it became too easy and this power just amplifies, because wonders lead to better military, science and production, more great people, more money and you can become a massive diplomatic leader because, between the bonuses for building wonders for them, generating great people for them, giving them the free units you receive from militaristic city-states for influence bumps (25 with freedom), and the endless supply of money to buy them off, I was just unstoppable. It was fun, of course, but I won't play as them again since the lack of challenge made it boring.

Not quite every single wonder. It'd be a hell of a trick to get all three ideology wonders.

A good candidate for my Mughals' civ idea (see sig).

I like that idea of giving a bonus for a monopoly. It should maybe even be in the game as a mechanic, something like give +1 gold per lux tile, if you're the sole world provider. It would give some better reasons to war other than pursuing dom, as well as have a nice reflection in history (Opium wars, ect.)

It's not the language, it's the voice actor. I have spoken polish with many people, none of them sound llike casimir. Sounds like if America was represented by Steve Urkel

Indeed. It seems to me that the voice actor for Casimir is actually not a native Polish speaker (he is speaking with a rather strange accent, similar to accent of Germans who speak Polish, and he is "whizzing" - he also seems to be a rather old person, while Casimir is depicted as a middle-aged guy).

This "Casimir" voice actor has a quite similar accent to that of Alina Levshin in "Generation War" (she plays a Polish woman there):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alina_Levshin

She is German-Ukrainian (she moved from Ukraine to Germany when she was 6 years old).

Also for example Joanna Krupa, who is Polish but moved to the USA when she was 5 years old, has a similar accent to "Casimir".

So I suppose they found a voice actor who is Polish-American and whose ability to speak Polish is rather meagre.

Top Bottom