Political Cartoons

Status
Not open for further replies.

luceafarul said:
George Bush looks like a mix of Idi Amin and Robert Mugabe in that drawing.

luceafarul said:

are you seriously comparing the U.S. to Nazi Germany? :dubious:

After hearing about the base closures. I decided to whip up my own Political Cartoon.

ybbor said:
are you seriously comparing the U.S. to Nazi Germany? :dubious:
OK, I must ask for the patience of other posters, since I will have to explain this cartoon.
This cartoon suggests no such thing, and neither do I.
USA is of course not a Nazi society, but it clearly has fascistoid traits which seems to grow stronger under its current administration.
Relevant here is e.g religious fundamentalism, chauvinism, croonyism and cooperation with big business, imperialism, and the belief that international conflicts should be used with the help of military actions.I see all those abundant in US politics..
There is absolutely no reference to genocide, race supremacy or totalitarianism in that cartoon, but rather a gentle hint that certain actions and arguments defending those are to be condemned.
I might also add that it is a heavy responsibility upon every decent American not to develop the country into a direction which would actually make such a comparison relevant, even it if is a far way to go yet.Because the chosen direction seems to be the wrong one...

luceafarul said:
OK, I must ask for the patience of other posters, since I will have to explain this cartoon.
This cartoon suggests no such thing, and neither do I.
USA is of course not a Nazi society, but it clearly has fascistoid traits which seems to grow stronger under its current administration.
Relevant here is e.g religious fundamentalism, chauvinism, croonyism and cooperation with big business, imperialism, and the belief that international conflicts should be used with the help of military actions.I see all those abundant in US politics..
There is absolutely no reference to genocide, race supremacy or totalitarianism in that cartoon, but rather a gentle hint that certain actions and arguments defending those are to be condemned.
I might also add that it is a heavy responsibility upon every decent American not to develop the country into a direction which would actually make such a comparison relevant, even it if is a far way to go yet.Because the chosen direction seems to be the wrong one...

there are much more tactful ways to imply such a message, maybe a comparison to an imperial england or France. (Note: not that i think those traits are brought to an extreme here, i'd debate them, but this is the P.C. thread, to laugh at politics) [holds self back]

This is a 10+ character-long message

Attachments

• ACLU.jpg
    ACLU.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 471

This is my first post on this thread. You guys have blown my mind, split my sides and challenged my views. Time to repay the favour. I hope to find time to post many more. Here's some from a legendary guy in my book: Herbert Block. I love the aesthetics of the sketches too.

WWII:

Iran and Iraq were vital to both the Allies and the Axis during World War II, because of their location and their oil reserves. As part of the Nazi-Soviet Pact of 1939, Germany and the Soviet Union had agreed on the division of Eastern Europe, and might have contemplated a similar division in the Middle East. Hitler made other plans and on June 22, 1941, Germany invaded the Soviet Union.

During the "war in Europe" one of Herblock's most effective cartoons was this one, based on movie travelogues that ended with a farewell to the visiting country. Here the goodbye is in the picturing of countries that had fallen under Nazi rule.

Increasing the German birthrate was a top Nazi priority, even as Hitler sent more young men off to war. The Nazis instituted programs glorifying motherhood, providing financial incentives for those with large families, even encouraging "Aryan"-looking young women to bear children out of wedlock.

One of the principal problems faced by Roosevelt and Churchill was the enormous toll of shipping sunk by German submarines.

And I couldn't make my first post without these:

With the only superpower on earth enjoying record prosperity, Herb Block offers in this recent work some reminders of unfinished business and non-business.

This cartoon appeared shortly after the Columbine High School massacre in Littleton, Colorado, in which two teenagers shot and killed twelve of their fellow students and a teacher before turning their weapons on themselves. This horrifying event followed other widely reported acts of violence with firearms in U.S. schools. Herb Block comments, "Many joined the gun lobby in seeking causes everywhere except in the easy availability of firearms."

Herblock exposes inadequacies in sentencing by comparing the lengthy prison term meted out to a criminal involved in a drug use charge, with the relatively short term for the prisoner convicted of murder. The War on Drugs in the late 1980s and early 1990s resulted in harsher terms for those involved in drug-related activities. By 1999, prison populations had swelled with those serving long mandatory sentences for non-violent offenses. The long sentences for the use of crack (cooked cocaine) compared to those for use of the more expensive cocaine powder illustrate another inequity. The American Bar Association reported that by far the majority of arrests were for possession rather than dealing, and that the stiffer sentences did not deter actual criminal activity.

[EDIT]And this was my 600th post!

Rambuchan said:
WWII:

Iran and Iraq were vital to both the Allies and the Axis during World War II, because of their location and their oil reserves. As part of the Nazi-Soviet Pact of 1939, Germany and the Soviet Union had agreed on the division of Eastern Europe, and might have contemplated a similar division in the Middle East. Hitler made other plans and on June 22, 1941, Germany invaded the Soviet Union.
Hehehe, love that one. :goodjob:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom