Possible coup in Turkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhtesem insan

Amateur Revolutionary
This is unconfirmed news, but there are some things happening in Turkey. All bridges on bosphorus are closed, there are jets flying low in Ankara, and there are tanks on the street.

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

i was out i don't have info i am at a taxi returning to home

Couldn't find anything about it on the internet. EDIT: nevermind, tweets saying basically the same thing as the OP.

Turkish twitter is full of it

Reuters also mentions the bridges, and reddit has a ton of articles on army rumours of disarming police now in Constantinople, and rumours of clashes.

Whatever this is, it doesn't look light. I doubt it is a terrorist attack (moving f16s make next to no sense unless it is many passenger planes, and then moving tanks makes no sense).

Stay safe muht

prime minister said it is a coup attempt

According to twitter the military is disarming and arresting police in Ankara, and Istanbul is locked down.
Looks like a coup.

Well thats not good. Erdogans an :) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :):) :) :) :) and all but I got the impression the Turkish military had laid down its role as guarantor of the Turkish constitution.

No. No one really was of this view -- at least if you know anything about the deep state in Turkey. They are locked in perpetual fight between kemalism and islamism, with no good option in either polar extreme.

I hope it leads to better things, but TBH i really really doubt it will. I fear it will cause mayhem.

Hey, maybe the Eu can hold talks with the turkish general now :)

Tensions were already so high that this became inevitable. It this is the military trying to put an end to the sultan's role, I hope they made it a priority to "neutralize" him early. If they didn't the coup may fail - and that won't be good for Turkey or for the rest of the world.

Though I was expecting a coup to happen only next year, after the economic situation in Turkey worsened. A move right now doesn't make much sense, it's risky...

it is rumoured that Tayyip escaped

roads are closed i can't go home i'll stay at friends home

It's an elephant inside a snake, clearly...;)

But the impression was that Erdogan had some kind of... understanding... with generals? Starting things up with the Kurds again and whatnot. But clearly that's the kind of thing that lasts as long as the generals see it like that.

Not a good, if traditional, trajectory.:(

military confirmed coup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom