Possible to puppet a razed city?

Mordraer

Chieftain
So I am on a rampage against Zulu for obvious reasons. I took a city and started razing it. After a moment I decided that I should just puppet the city after all. It seems there is no option in doing so after I had initially chosen to Raze the city. I canceled the raze, but now it appears I've annexed the city and I cannot for the life of me find an option to puppet? Is that a correct game mechanic or am I missing something?

When you first take a city you have all 3 options available to you, Raze, Puppet, and Annex. Once you choose Annex you can not, Raze or Puppet the city anymore. If you choose Puppet, you can still Annex, at a later turn , but you loose the option to Raze it anymore. If you choose to Raze the city at the time of capture, you can still choose to Puppet or Annex that city up until the timer runs out. At which point, the city becomes a Ruins tile. The time that you get depends on the city's population size at the point of capture. So a larger city takes longer than a smaller city to reduce to ruins.

If you choose to Raze the city at the time of capture, you can still choose to Puppet or Annex that city up until the timer runs out.

I'm pretty sure once you start razing a city, it is considered "annexed" and you will no longer have the option of puppeting the city, even if you stop razing it.

So to answer your question, Mordraer, it is a game mechanic.

Once you choose Annex you can not, Raze or Puppet the city anymore. If you choose Puppet, you can still Annex, at a later turn , but you loose the option to Raze it anymore. If you choose to Raze the city at the time of capture, you can still choose to Puppet or Annex that city up until the timer runs out.

This is so wrong regarding razing. You can stop and restart razing city at any time after the capture, raze is simply a special case of annex. You can also raze annexed city if it isn't a capital/cs. Also you can't puppet a city if you chose to raze, as it counts as annexing and you can't puppet any city after annexing. The only advantage of razing without first choosing annexing is that razing doesn't increase your tech cost.

Top Bottom