• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Potentially Historic Tuesday

BvBPL

Pour Decision Maker
There's a storm acomin'

Southern New England, where I live, is expecting a blizzard this week. My area is expecting around two feet of snow with more coming later in the week. This on top of a few inches that fell on Saturday.

The news media, and Facebook, is quite insistent that this storm is "potentially historic." That rather odd phrase is being repeated by multiple channels. It is the byword for this storm. I'm uncertain what is "potentially historic" about a blizzard in New England, but that's just me.

Because it appears that New England is a few snowflakes away from turning into a frosty Lord of the Flies, I may miss a bit of what happens in the rest of the world. What else "potentially historic" will happen this week? Please set the bar for being "potentially historic" as being a blizzard in New England in the dead of winter.

Weathermen do tend to go hyperbolic when there's a big storm coming. Still, this could be one of the worst storms in the past 40 years.

Please let the schools be closed, please let the schools be closed, please let the schools be closed...

And may nobody get hurt during the event. But seriously I'm excited, it will be great to go sledding after this.

I'm ready for it.

Which is to say I'm ready to point and laugh about it, this being the proper Canadian reaction to the US bungling up (as usual) a winter storm.

It was my usual grocery day today and I was a bit surprised by the volume of people in the store, until I ran into a friend who asked if I was stocking up for the apocalypse.

I'm hoping business closes around here just so I can take some time away from meetings and catch up on the real work I have to do.

I'm ready for it.

Which is to say I'm ready to point and laugh about it, this being the proper Canadian reaction to the US bungling up (as usual) a winter storm.
Hey, Minnesota knows how to handle a winter storm.
Too bad we have only had one good on this year. We barely have any snow on the ground anymore.

Still doesn't stop the city of St Paul from doing a terrible job plowing/salting the roads though.

The other day I heard a meteorologist say Chicago was experiencing "epically" low temperatures. So I perked up to hear how low. 10 degrees below average, it turns out, is epically low.

The US states that typically bungle their reactions to winter storms are mostly in the South, where they don't stock up on stuff like road salt, trucks, etc. because the storms do not come every season. Usually, the arc of states from the Midwest to New England are pretty good at weathering these kinds of storms with minimal impact on transportation.

Also, just read the tags for the thread. :lol:

Hey, Minnesota knows how to handle a winter storm.
Too bad we have only had one good on this year. We barely have any snow on the ground anymore.

You and Vermont don't count as the US. You're closet Canadians anyway.

Still doesn't stop the city of St Paul from doing a terrible job plowing/salting the roads though.

It's the third certainty of life, along with death and taxes. Cities will do a terrible job of plowing and salting.

The US states that typically bungle their reactions to winter storms are mostly in the South, where they don't stock up on stuff like road salt, trucks, etc. because the storms do not come every season. Usually, the arc of states from the Midwest to New England are pretty good at weathering these kinds of storms with minimal impact on transportation.

New England is usually reasonable at this, but New York closes everything down for a light dusting of snow :p

I remember when we got our first 2+ foot snowstorm in the DC area during Christmas of 2009. Well, rather, it's the first 2+ foot blizzard I can remember. Fun times, what with the 2+ foot blizzard that followed in early February of 2010, and then the other 2+ foot blizzard in late February. Was totally awesome being a senior and getting so many days off the school board decided not to add in any makeup days.

Anyways, I guess "historic" refers to stuff that hasn't happened in decades, though doesn't new England get blasted with big blizzards frequently enough?

I remember when we got our first 2+ foot snowstorm in the DC area during Christmas of 2009. Well, rather, it's the first 2+ foot blizzard I can remember. Fun times, what with the 2+ foot blizzard that followed in early February of 2010, and then the other 2+ foot blizzard in late February. Was totally awesome being a senior and getting so many days off the school board decided not to add in any makeup days.

Anyways, I guess "historic" refers to stuff that hasn't happened in decades, though doesn't new England get blasted with big blizzards frequently enough?

Yeah snowpocalypse/snowmageddon. The 2013-2014 winter was great too. Iirc public schools in Arlington had 13 days off.

I can see a gas station from where I'm sitting, and there's a line of cars out into the street.

I expect the office to be closed tomorrow. I've got a game of Civ V going (Arabia, Pangaea, Emperor), and I have a couple of books from the library if we lose electricity. I did my grocery shopping yesterday, so I just need to pick up a 6-pack of beer on the way home.

I live in a part of southwestern Ontario that usually gets tons of snow. We usually get dumped on, but you drive 1 hour west, and towns on the border (with the U.S.) have no snow at all.. It's WEIRD.

But apparently today we are going to be spared - no snow yet. We'll see what happens.

As for "historic", they are just trying to sensationalise everything. I am going to go take a historic poop right now - wish me luck.

According to my Accuweather minutecast, The Rhode Island/eastern CT area will begin seeing snow in 49 minutes. Best of luck you lucky bastages (it's gonna hit 50s here :( )

It was snowing in Providence at noon today, what seems to be about an hour and twenty minutes before you post, bhsup.

Top Bottom