Pre-WW1 Europe PBEM game

Yop73

Exams suck
I'm starting a PBEM about the scenario: Pre-WWI Europe. It's available in the download section of civ fan.
Players:

Russians - Darius
French - SAS
Germans - Germanos
Austro-Hungarians - Yop
Italians - Academia
British - Rhodry
Ottoman Turks - AI
Independents - AI Barbarians

Some houserules:
- French-British alliance to be remained
- Austro-German alliance to be remained

Since this is a new scenario, I hope there ends up being more enough demand for it to have another PBEM or two, because almost any of the civs in this one would be great to do, and it's hard to decide. I like the German infrastructure, and the challenge in the Turks, and the geographical isolation of Britain, so it's hard to choose. I guess while I like those, I love how unconquerable the massive Russia is, so I'll grit my teeth and take them.

I'm playiong this scenario at Scenario League in Apoyton. I warmly recommend it. Its great fun to play !

Too bad i'm allready playing lots of games, and dont have the time for one more.

Germans - germanos
Austro-Hungarians - Yop
British - open
Ottoman Turks - open
French - open
Italians - academia
Russians - Darius
Indepedants - AI

Ok, 2-3 more unless we want this to be easy...

No no no no no no no no! One more, no one take the turks! God bless AI turks! I have plans...

People, we need someone to play the French. Please join. + Dunno if the playing order is correct. Can someone check it please?
+ I found a map at apolyton. We can use that.

Attachments

• maphistory.gif
    maphistory.gif
    8.1 KB · Views: 503
I suggest you guys look at Exile's Age of War sceanrio.

Doubtful. This one's new and it's one of the best new scenarios I've seen in months. Can't wait to play it against humans.

The order (and the final one, as I will edit it when someone takes the French):

Russians - Darius
French - open
Germans - Germanos
Austro-Hungarians - Yop
Italians - Academia
British - Smaug
Ottoman Turks - Oubai1
Independents - AI Barbarians

C'mon, someone must want the French! They've got a good infrastructure, they have a decent navy in the Mediterranean, they have overseas colonial cities, and they have democratic trade surpluses. Don't think they're going to be hard or something; they aren't even at war yet!

BTW, I'm deep into a single player runthrough, and I can tell you this'll be a loooooong game. Hope you'll all be up to it.

Wait a minute!!
What about the "border line" units!!!! Thery are undefeatable. :mad: Are we going to use those units?
For example, i´m going to play as Italy, and due to this "border line" thing, i can´t invade Switzerland; and i can only enter France trough Toulon. They are also located between France and Italy. and some in the German-Austrian frontier. Come on!! they are allies, i believe that those objects will perjudicate their troops movements.
Please, tell me what you think about these special units.

These are only in areas where military operations would not and should not occur anyway. For instance, there are no border posts between France and Germany because they would likely wage war in that area which does not have posts; from Besancon north. It's just a matter of historical accuracy, since in the real WWI the Germans never considered conquering Switzerland and having a longer front with the French, instead of the direct assault they actually did. Conversely, there are no border posts on the frontiers of Russia, because they could have been attacked in any spot.

And in your case, there is a post line north of Toulon because no one save Hannibal would invade through the Alps. You are confined to the Mediterranean coast because that is realistic.

Also, they would be around Switzerland because Switzerland is obviously not meant to be invaded at all.

The line between Austria-Hungary and Germany makes a bit less sense, but it doesn't matter because under alliance the two civs' units are IZOC towards each other and they can just move units through the posts. Or maybe it was to create a historical accuracy in which the Austro-Hungarian forces would not be participating on the western front. Or perhaps they are in the area in case the two civs cancel their alliance, as this is an anything-goes situation. Their cities are so intertwined that a defined border would have to be in place to keep order, and to prevent infringements.

Regardless, this is all academic (no pun) anyhow, because the only thing you have to know about permanent fortifications is to bypass them :soldier:. Place IZOC units between the posts and send regular troops through under their guarding, attack from the sea, or simply go around the lines. The border posts should be the last things to worry about.

If it will help: I'm not hooked on Germany. :cry:
I am willing to swap them for the French. But only if someone NEW takes the Germans,

Darius:
I understand your point of view, but i don´t share it. I like historical scenarios, but i don´t want to be stuck with their events. I like flexibility, new ways, all the "what if" stuff.
Anyway, it´s a problem of the scenario author, and i respect that.
One more thing, you also gave many historical accuracy arguments; for example my "Hannibal Style" invasion of Switzerland. But don´t you remember that in ZWK it´s possible to invade Switzerland. And if you want to defend historical accuracy, can you explain WHY there isn´t a single road nearby Bern?
To sum up, i strongly disagree with you. But don´t be afraid, i´ll take a shot. Let´s see how this "History":D scenario works.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not too big on these posts either, I was just explaining why they might be there. Personally I don't think they are necessary, it just depends on the author's point of view. This isn't 1940 where you shove Panzers through the Ardennes; the tactics of the pre-WWI era's purist generals was to foolishly sending toops to long, unmoving fronts to have at each other. I think the posts' confinements lead to such a situation. This is just a sacrifice one must make in a historical scenario.

Also, I didn't say a free Switzerland was a matter of historical accuracy, I just meant that the author meant for it not to be invaded, that's all. Besides, like I said you can easily go through them, so I can't imagine what the problem is. You can still apply your what-if's all you want, no sweat.

Top Bottom