Prepare to Die #3: Elizabeth No BS Edition

Gwaja

King
Going on vacation, so I thought I would share the last of the maps I have been wanting to share. I won't have any more maps to share for a while.

Disclaimer:

I've been looking for the ultimate challenging map for myself and for any others to either practice or to teach. And here, I think I have found one. I assure you that there shouldn't be any anomalies from weird map scripts which caused anomalies like ocean clams in the Hannibal game. This map is also NOT doctored or cooked in anyways, except that for the interest of this specific challenge, some AI starting positions have been swapped. Our starting position has NOT been changed, so you can rest assured of legit challenge without BS, despite the title. I am well aware that the very first "Prepare To Die" game, which Lain, @drewisfat, and many others have attempted in the past, were clearly doctored and cooked, but that map was provided as sort of a joke map for just funsies. But this time, it is serious business here.

What is at Stake:

The premise is simple. Like the first "Prepare To Die" game, the concept is "warmonger sandwich on your continent with dangerously capable super techers in another continent." This setup is probably the most difficult type of game to win as many in the past have agreed. I handpicked 3 of the most notorious warmongers to be on our continent, and the other 3 very capable and "dangerous if left alone" super techers on the other continent. Amongst the warmongers, I wanted to avoid ones that value religion high, such as Monty, to reduce shared religion bonus; instead, I opted for ones that don't value or pursue religion highly, with a mix of psychotic warmongering behaviors as well as some difficulty in trades. For our civilization, I picked Elizabeth, who has the 2 highest-regarded traits in Financial and Philosophical, while being challenged with lack of hammer-saving buildings or special units in the early game. Despite the tough opening, she should be one of the best candidates to recover the economy from imminent wars we will most definitely be in, whether offensive or defensive.

Map Settings:

Continents (2 Total with No other land masses)
Standard Speed
No Huts/No Events
Everything else standard settings
6 AI: Handpicked. I will let you find out who they are, since I have spoiled a lot of the details about this map already.

Saves Provided:

WorldBuilder Saves for Immortal and Deity for maximum compatibility between vanilla and differing gameplay mods like BUFFY or BAT. Because of this, barbarian techs must be added in manually at the start of the game using the WorldBuilder.

Starting Position:
1715158950228.png

Attachments

• Prepare To Die #3 Elizabeth Immortal.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    378.2 KB · Views: 15
  • Prepare To Die #3 Elizabeth Deity.CivBeyondSwordWBSave
    380 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
imm t71
Spoiler :

1715193048246.png

1) settle on copper
2) survive until construction
3) ???
4) profit

i reloaded a lot though. tried ha's against alex but he already had walls and too many troops, and you dont even need to rush too early if he just settles all over the jungle

"I wanted to avoid ones that value religion high, such as Monty, to reduce shared religion bonus"

The idea that Monty has a high shared religion bonus is a myth. His religion approach is a LOT more stick than carrot.

His favorite civic is also super late (just like most warmongers except Ragnar, to be fair).

Will play the game eventually but just thinking now about what would be the worst scenario. Having three peaceful AIs on the other continent or having FIN leaders who can also backstab like Willem or HC?

Last edited:
Good plan, getting away from the coast reduces the risk of killing seafood tiles.

"I wanted to avoid ones that value religion high, such as Monty, to reduce shared religion bonus"

The idea that Monty has a high shared religion bonus is a myth. His religion approach is a LOT more stick than carrot.

His favorite civic is also super late (just like most warmongers except Ragnar, to be fair).

Will play the game eventually but just thinking now about what would be the worst scenario. Having three peaceful AIs on the other continent or having FIN leaders who can also backstab like Willem or HC?

Having Monty in the game on our continent means there is very probability of a religion existing on our continent. I wanted to reduce that possibility to almost zero. But yes, I agree about "more stick than carrot."

Now allow me to fix the "peaceful" part to "dangerously-capable" instead. When I said "peaceful" initially, I meant it as in "not as psychotically warmonger loving", I don't want to give the wrong impression that someone like Ghandi would show up. That would be kinda boring. We do need SOME sort of chaos on the other continent as well, though most likely not to the degree that we will be facing on our own.

On your last comment about backstabbing FIN leaders.... I'd say that Willem is the worst of all of them. If he ever is my next door neighbor, I go kill him immediately.

Yeah that's a good point about lack of religion on the player's continent being the biggest challenge. In that case I can make some guesses on who you would put on the other continent to found ALL the religions... But we'll see!

T0
Spoiler :
Thought between SIP and on the 'nanas, but I think it's just too much jungle, hard to chop when you face instant :health:-issues etc. So it's a SIP for me.

Enjoy your vacation ms. gwaja! :)

@jnebbe
Spoiler :
Not a huge fan of your T0 decision, you lose a turn, a forest and 2:health: for one river cottage...

I was also dreaming of settling on copper, but there are cons also. You might even lose the city, even on immortal.

tried a bunch of different approaches but with no success, chariot rush, ha rush, 4-city construction, settling capital next to alex and choking with warriors/chariots. even tried founding Judaism just to see what would happen; my holy city's borders touched 1 of alex's tiles for 1 turn and he immediately started plotting at t44, decided that was enough civ for today :lol:

@jnebbe
Spoiler :
You didn't get the memo? Play it peaceful. :mischief:

Deity T65
Spoiler :
Well, good news is I'm not plotted on, yet. Looks grim though, as Alex got that cow-jungle spot I will be a land target soon. Hard to city gift. Shaka will probably settle soon in a way that will make me a land target. Maybe the copper settle was stupid. At least I can liberate it to Shaka. :hmm:

Hard to see this not end in a disaster.

Civ4ScreenShot0038.JPG

T74
Spoiler :
T73 plot, moves immediately in, no way to get to pleased even. Started gifting :health: immediately when available, but it takes a while to kick in. I think you need to find a way to city gift to either Alex or Shaka, or both.

Civ4ScreenShot0039.JPG

Defence didn't hold :pat: and he also bribed others in.

Civ4ScreenShot0040.JPG

Enjoy your vacation ms. gwaja! :)

Thank you! I am leaving tomorrow. I am all packed and ready to go, but just waiting on my other family members now. Let me know how you've been in DM. ^_^

Spoiler :

I know I have seen the map a little bit when I swapped some AI starting positions, but that really isn't helping me all that much. Both coppers are positioned dangerously close to Shaka and Alex, and each time I attempted, they freakin' settled right on top of them. Trying to do the same seemed to help speed up their plotting on me, and couple of times Alex gave me 2 turns before declaring on me. Those two stupid twin mountain peaks not helping at all, because you are trying not to ruin the fish, but then you also want to grab horses without getting too close in Alex's face. Meanwhile, I see no ivory either, so either I have to pray iron shows up and somehow survive until Construction at the least. With the way these guys are expanding and cranking out metal units already, I am not optimistic about Horse Archer rush either. It looks like invasion is unavoidable unless I gift these psychos cities built with my precious food and hammers. Oh and all that while making sure I don't get boxed in. It's like.... expand too fast towards them, they attack you. Stay smaller, you get boxed in and only delay the inevitable.

@sampsa RE: T74

Spoiler :
Ouch. I don't think you could have settled any better than that. Even then, we are still in danger of being boxed in, and the psychos only have US to pick on. Triple DoW is rough.... I did get double DoW though and thought that was bad. This is gonna be painful.

Top Bottom