PreSLNES I: Masters of Ethereal

Ok. I'm checking my upkeep. You didn't subtract the cost of disbanded raiders apparently.
My upkeep cost should only be 44+36+32+20+X = 132+X gold, where X is the orcish conscripts upkeep cost, which is somewhere less than 10 I suppose (don't know what discount they may have), so 132+X instead of 164. Plus 30 mana.
I guess the cost X = 2 since I suppose you simply didn't subtract the raiders cost; so that would be 134 gold + 30 mana instead of 164+30.

Ok. I'm checking my upkeep. You didn't subtract the cost of disbanded raiders apparently.
My upkeep cost should only be 44+36+32+20+X = 132+X gold, where X is the orcish conscripts upkeep cost, which is somewhere less than 10 I suppose (don't know what discount they may have), so 132+X instead of 164. Plus 30 mana.
I guess the cost X = 2 since I suppose you simply didn't subtract the raiders cost; so that would be 134 gold + 30 mana instead of 164+30.

I see - I accidentally added another warrior bard in gold.

The conscripts cost nothing for you.

Corrected.

Hadrid Mygenor /SKILORD
Race: High Man
Hometown: Senda
Skills: Clever, driven Schemer. Very sneaky, smooth talker.
Inventory: Dagger, Nice Clothing, Small amount gold from his wealthy family who were all killed in the siege of Senda
Physical Description: Short, Blonde, Green Eyes, Sharp Features, Wiry
Background: Hadrid Mygenor is driven by his hatred of gnollfolk and his desire to find a new place in the world after the fall of Sedna.

Welcome, SKILORD. Can't wait to read some stories. You can start out in Stryddinas, one of Gwydion's cities (controlled by LDiCesare). You can read over his culture post and everything here. Lots of stuff there. That is what life is like in Gwydion's lands. But of course you can leave and go somewhere else.

Typically, under the Wizards section of the rules - you can catch links to different Culture posts. These are helpful when you are traveling around, to get a sense of what each realm is like. Sometimes there is history located within those posts, as well. I often use information found in these Culture posts within my update, so some of it should be revealed to you already without having to look at every single one. It is interesting reading, nonetheless.

Also, I'm wondering if everyone could link me to their trade goods posts, if they have posted one. I want to add those to the rules.

Sorry Terrance. Didn't even see that. Getting to it.

Everyone, try to get diplo posted over this weekend - once the weekend is over, I'll be swamped packing.

Hadrid Mygenor /SKILORD
Race: High Man
Hometown: Senda
Skills: Clever, driven Schemer. Very sneaky, smooth talker.
Inventory: Dagger, Nice Clothing, Small amount gold from his wealthy family who were all killed in the siege of Senda
Physical Description: Short, Blonde, Green Eyes, Sharp Features, Wiry
Background: Hadrid Mygenor is driven by his hatred of gnollfolk and his desire to find a new place in the world after the fall of Sedna.

great! the first single hero entering the game is a devoted enemy of me..
..and oh no! its an fifteen (max sixteen) year old human boy!
i am soooo scared.. keep coming ;)

Work in Progress

Ilmorn the Twisted / Luckymoose
Race: Beastman - Kenku
Citadel: Valas Mundorune
Government: Absolute Monarchy
Spellbook:
Spoiler Famine :

Famine
Curse
0-100km
Large Burst
Refined
Sustainable
330 mana to cast, 165 to sustain
Description: Causing a rapid decay of edible items in a set location, from withering crops to souring apples; total destruction of sustenance.

Mana (per turn / crystals): 100
Gold (per turn / coffers): 200
Castles:
Cities: Validoon
Units: Kenku Scouts,

Spoiler Bark Snakes :

Size: 10
Quality: Trained
Armor: Leather
Noncombatant
Magic: Skilled 8/8
Cost: 14 gold / 8 mana

Meter long brown snakes of high intelligence, they speak only to their master Ilmorn and are used as spying vessels. They are capable with illusionary magic to disguise themselves as sticks or limbs of trees as they are created out of said materials by Ilmorn and return to their origin upon death.

Spoiler Spears of the Starved :

Size: 300
Quality: Conscript
Armor: Shield
Combatant
Cost: 18 gold

These scrawny human spearmen are at the mercy of their masters whim. Sustenance taken from them at his will has given them little choice but to do his bidding; starvation is just around the bend if they refuse. They wear only loin cloths, wield spears and shields and on their heads wear black feathered helms.

Spoiler The Scarred Sorceresses :

Size: 1
Quality: Elite
Armor: Leather
Combatant
Magic: Expert
Cost: 80 gold / 60 Mana

Young human females with magical potential are taken from their families by the great wizard Ilmorn. Punished for their arcane nature they are abused through childhood and scarred from the neverending torment. Broken of their freewill and corrupted absolutely, these select few serve as messengers of destruction. Casting spells that ravage the lands and peoples that oppose Ilmorn they are deeply feared by the peoples of his kingdom. Beauty ruined by corruption and pain, returning the favor tenfold on the enemies of their master.

Background:
Spoiler :
Ilmorn Cometh

A hooded figure approached the lands of the Burning Tower, Aiolia. A chilling wind blew across the land, through the forests and over the jagged ridges of the mountainous barrier to this kingdom. A great flame burns eternally in the citadel rising from the mountains. The Orc wizard and his imp underlings reside there, for now. The black cloak covered the gliding figure completely, leaving not a print in the ground where it passed. A fresh flurry of snowflakes began to fall, unable to land on the figure or perhaps unwilling to touch that which comes. A guard of orcs rode out, on the backs of wyvern, the all seeing wizard in his burning tower was not so easily fooled by intruders. The foul beasts, brandishing weapons of all sorts, snarled at the intruder who continued on his way towards them. The commanding orc let out a mighty roar.

“Who intrudes in the lands of our master?” The figure stopped in his tracks, face and body hidden by his large cloak the Orcs tried to get a good glimpse of his appearance. Stepping down from their wyvern a few of the Orcs made their way over to the mysterious being. “Reveal your face by command of the fire mage!”

A sharper chill swept the group as the wind picked up unnaturally. A scaled hand of three fingers rose out of the cloak, slowly raising the index finger towards a limb broken from its tree. The limb shook violently as the Orcs looked on and began to be dragged towards the figure slowly. Upon reaching his him it sprang forth from the ground and into his hand, exploding away the small branches and bark to reveal a relatively smooth and straight staff.

“Enough of your tricks sorcerer! You are not dealing with petty magic in these lands. Begone before your weak magic brings about your doom.” The Orc commander snarled again, his minions laughing and cheering him on. “Leave the lands of the Burning Tow--” His words stopped, the staff of the hooded figure was pointed directly at him now. He fell off his wyvern, holding his gut until eventually releasing his sick across the chilled ground. “What foul magic is this!” He coughed and spit during his words.

“Take me to him.” A crackled voice beneath the hood spoke out. The orcs quickly stepped back as the hood flew backwards revealing the long beak and infinitely black eyes of the wizard before them.

“The master...he...slumbers.” The group attempted to speak simultaneously. The birdlike wizard made a curious noise in joy.

“Give me your beast, orc.” Ilmorn stepped forward to the riderless wyvern of the orc commander. “You won't mind will you?” He squawked a single laugh as he mounted the beast and rode off to the citadel. As he passed the lands below, the towns and farms, forests and mountainsides, they all turned gray and dull. The orcs all fell sick behind him, vomiting uncontrollably.

The wyvern took Ilmorn to the citadel, high above the land below he glided down from his wyvern mount and into an open balcony. Within the fires of the towers master burned, but on a platform in the center lay a sleeping wizard. Ilmorn approached him carefully.

“A weak soul produces weak magic.” Placing his hands over the comatose wizard he chanted a few words in an ancient language. “I want you to see this orc.” His eyes opened, but he could not move, Ilmorn had given him brief consciousness but not much else. “I am sorry you cannot move. We both know a wizard is never to be trusted, not even in death.” The orc wizard looked around calmly, no doubt inspecting his situation, but noting his helplessness. Ilmorn lifted him upwards, grabbing a dagger from underneath his robes and marching him over to the balcony. Holding him out for all to see, high atop the burning tower, Ilmorn empowered his voice to reach the lands below clearly.

“All Orc kin are banished from the lands of Ilmorn. Your old master is witnessing his final moments in this realm; pay close attention, you have a new master now!” With a slice of the blade across the neck of the weak wizard it was over. Dropped from the heights of the citadel his reign was fast ending. The Great Famine approached.

You know, I went with Hadrid because when I was reading the rules and updates the Gnolls seemed like by far the most interesting race. I was going to go with a Gnoll for a while, but I couldn't find or conceive of any characters I could eke more than a couple stories out of.

If you can't join 'em, beat 'em I suppose ;)

But seriously, I wouldn't get too worried about it, the combination of the limitations of the character game mechanic and also the fact that at present Hadrid is broke, completely untrained, and as you mention also like 15, I don't think he's going to be a major threat to you. But I mean, he does hate gnolls with all of his impotent rage, it's nothing personal.

Man I'm stoked to get a character perspective!

@Lucky: That looks awesome. Just please include your upkeep - so just half the costs and include the upkeep in your listing. Other than that I see nothing wrong (granted, I am cooking right now and might be missing something).

As for background - you can make up some story about that Wizard's citadel. I recommend one in which you came and killed him. :D

Ilmorn Cometh

A hooded figure approached the lands of the Burning Tower, Aiolia. A chilling wind blew across the land, through the forests and over the jagged ridges of the mountainous barrier to this kingdom. A great flame burns eternally in the citadel rising from the mountains. The Orc wizard and his imp underlings reside there, for now. The black cloak covered the gliding figure completely, leaving not a print in the ground where it passed. A fresh flurry of snowflakes began to fall, unable to land on the figure or perhaps unwilling to touch that which comes. A guard of orcs rode out, on the backs of wyvern, the all seeing wizard in his burning tower was not so easily fooled by intruders. The foul beasts, brandishing weapons of all sorts, snarled at the intruder who continued on his way towards them. The commanding orc let out a mighty roar.

“Who intrudes in the lands of our master?” The figure stopped in his tracks, face and body hidden by his large cloak the Orcs tried to get a good glimpse of his appearance. Stepping down from their wyvern a few of the Orcs made their way over to the mysterious being. “Reveal your face by command of the fire mage!”

A sharper chill swept the group as the wind picked up unnaturally. A scaled hand of three fingers rose out of the cloak, slowly raising the index finger towards a limb broken from its tree. The limb shook violently as the Orcs looked on and began to be dragged towards the figure slowly. Upon reaching his him it sprang forth from the ground and into his hand, exploding away the small branches and bark to reveal a relatively smooth and straight staff.

“Enough of your tricks sorcerer! You are not dealing with petty magic in these lands. Begone before your weak magic brings about your doom.” The Orc commander snarled again, his minions laughing and cheering him on. “Leave the lands of the Burning Tow--” His words stopped, the staff of the hooded figure was pointed directly at him now. He fell off his wyvern, holding his gut until eventually releasing his sick across the chilled ground. “What foul magic is this!” He coughed and spit during his words.

“Take me to him.” A crackled voice beneath the hood spoke out. The orcs quickly stepped back as the hood flew backwards revealing the long beak and infinitely black eyes of the wizard before them.

“The master...he...slumbers.” The group attempted to speak simultaneously. The birdlike wizard made a curious noise in joy.

“Give me your beast, orc.” Ilmorn stepped forward to the riderless wyvern of the orc commander. “You won't mind will you?” He squawked a single laugh as he mounted the beast and rode off to the citadel. As he passed the lands below, the towns and farms, forests and mountainsides, they all turned gray and dull. The orcs all fell sick behind him, vomiting uncontrollably.

The wyvern took Ilmorn to the citadel, high above the land below he glided down from his wyvern mount and into an open balcony. Within the fires of the towers master burned, but on a platform in the center lay a sleeping wizard. Ilmorn approached him carefully.

“A weak soul produces weak magic.” Placing his hands over the comatose wizard he chanted a few words in an ancient language. “I want you to see this orc.” His eyes opened, but he could not move, Ilmorn had given him brief consciousness but not much else. “I am sorry you cannot move. We both know a wizard is never to be trusted, not even in death.” The orc wizard looked around calmly, no doubt inspecting his situation, but noting his helplessness. Ilmorn lifted him upwards, grabbing a dagger from underneath his robes and marching him over to the balcony. Holding him out for all to see, high atop the burning tower, Ilmorn empowered his voice to reach the lands below clearly.

“All Orc kin are banished from the lands of Ilmorn. Your old master is witnessing his final moments in this realm; pay close attention, you have a new master now!” With a slice of the blade across the neck of the weak wizard it was over. Dropped from the heights of the citadel his reign was fast ending. The Great Famine approached.

Awesome background.

-

Ok folks. Here are some preliminary outlines for non-player 'NPC' heroes. None of this will be cemented or implemented until after Update 6.

Thanks to nutra for brainstorming with me in #NES.

-

All 'heroes' will NOT be units. This way your single-man units who are basically heroes at this point will not be undermined. We perhaps should rather call heroes Legends or something - or Legendary Heroes. Again: they are NOT UNITS. Never. They will rather provide an effect on a certain aspect of your realm.

I want to have 3 categories of heroes: Military, Magic, and Domestic. Underneath these three main categories there will be Hero Types branching off. I'm even keeping the types broad so that they may be expanded upon depending on circumstance. For example:

Military
Seasoned General (would improve morale/organization of troops - perhaps upping their quality)
Striker (would focus on the attacks of your troops)
Defender (would focus on the defense of your troops)

Magic
Warmage (would focus on battle magics / magics of units)
Artificer (would focus on creation of magical items / infusing)
Ardent / Controller (would focus on improving your spells)
----- Sorcerer (improve damage spells)
----- Cleric (improve healing spells)
----- Bard (improve enchantment spells)
----- Shaman (improve curse spells)
----- Warden (improve dispel spells)
----- Conjurer (improve summon spells)

Domestic
Brilliant Merchant (would focus on economy/trade)
Loyal Steward (would focus on loyalty/your Wizard's control over realms)
Beloved Lord (would focus on the infrastructure of your realm)
Inspired Pioneer (would focus on exploration)

-

For units with 1 man, i.e. Warrior-bard of Kazae - if you had a Defender Legend with you, it would still improve your unit. The military heroes would not be solely for large companies of troops.

These are just some rough notes and ideas.

-

Receiving a Legend/Hero
We have a few options.

I could do a 'raffle'. I will have a list of heroes. Everyone will list their 3 preferred heroes among this grouping. Those who have the same #1 will then pick a number - the closest to correspond to the number I labeled secretly onto that hero will receive the hero.

This will promote interracial hero-Wizard groupings and Wizards selecting heroes based on their skill set, rather than their race. Heroes will basically be well-known figures traveling from far away to seek out glory (you'll have to pay them, of course). Though I am also thinking heroes can come from within your realm, in which case you could always change the race of a hero and make up a new story about that hero. That can be another option for 'receiving' or 'selecting' a hero.

Sorry - I'm tired. Anyway. Some rough stuff here. Think it over.

If I understand, heroes would be characters with some background that provide bonuses for a pay.
I don't like the military divisions as you describe them. I propose a slight change, giving an example of a real general for each:

Seasoned General (would improve morale/organization of troops - perhaps upping their quality) - this one I am ok with (example: McClellan - created an awesome army, built up its moreal, but was unable to use it)

Striker and Defender (would focus on the attacks and defense of your troops respectively) - these don't make much sense to me. Attack and defense of a troop are something that I don't understand except as game mechanics. A general good at dealing in respectively attacks or defensive positions I could understand, but then many open field (antiquity/medieval) battles weren't one army attacking and one defending but both attacking each other.

I'd rather have generals for field and siege.
Field generals are able to appraise tactical situations and seize opportunities at the exact right moment, thus giving an overall bonus in open-field battles.
Example for field general: Davout. Was his victory at Auerstadt due to a better attack? Considering he got about the same proportion of losses as his enemy, I'm not sure.
Siege general provide bonuses to attack or defend fortresses. I'll remind everyone that castles and sieges were very important in medieval times.
Example for siege general: Vauban (or maybe Michelozzo in defense for the walls of Dubrovnic).

Top Bottom