Prince, (Noble/Prince players) just win!

OK - I'll patch tonight.

I think we should drop down to 10 turns now - we are already 40 turns into the game, so we're at the stage where SG's often drop to 10 turns each (20, 15, 15, 10). (40, 10, 10).

I'll post later tonight.

Ganoman - some do, some don't. I'm not overly fussed, I've played the turns. I'm going to write them up and post them on here in the morning.

Pre-turn: No changes. Animal Husbandry in 1 turn.

T1- Animal Husbandry to Iron working.
T2- :sleep:
T3- Cottage the floodplains around Rome.
IBT: Judaism FIDL
T4- :sleep:
T5- Begin second settler in Rome, it looks like it will be 12 turns, the same time as Iron Working.
T6- Rejig the tiles to give us Iron Working a couple of turns sooner, so we know where we'll be sending the next settler.
T7- Antium founded. My idea for this city is simple, to farm the floodplains for food, and mine the hills to make it into a big production city. It has copper in the fat cross, but no food resource.

T8- :sleep:
T9- :sleep:
T10- This is the situation in our empire at the end of my turnset.

Final thoughts - we should found our next city within reach of iron, and get some pretorians quickly. We are dangerously low on millitary units right now, even more important with the two backstabbing phycopath neighbours that we have. If it turns out we already have iron, or we can get it in the floodplains city site above Rome - then I would suggest founding there. We have the potential for some extremely high commerce cities to give us a big tech lead over our neigbours.

My idea for Antium is to be our heroic epic city, and ultimately the ironworks town.

Let me know what you all think.

Here's the save.View attachment 123760

I didnt grab any Iron, but settled south to block off Genghis...

There isnt anything into the settler yet, I wanted to max out happiness in Rome. As it turns out we hit Health first, we need to hook up the Rice... Why hasnt that happened when we put a farm there?

I fought off a barb warrior allready and we have some new neighbours due North of us, more barbs... but in a city this time... So we need defense hard-ish. Which is why we should maybe put up a barracks in Rome before the settler.... Remember to whip the settler tho...

Spoiler Autolog :
Turn 53 (1880 BC)

Turn 54 (1840 BC)
Research begun: Archery
Research begun: Horseback Riding
Rome begins: Settler

Turn 55 (1800 BC)
Antium begins: Granary
Antium begins: Worker
Antium grows: 2
Antium finishes: Warrior

Turn 56 (1760 BC)

Turn 57 (1720 BC)

Turn 58 (1680 BC)
Warrior defeats (0.80/2): Barbarian Warrior

Turn 59 (1640 BC)
Rome finishes: Settler

Turn 60 (1600 BC)
Rome begins: Granary
Rome begins: Barracks

Turn 61 (1560 BC)

Turn 62 (1520 BC)

Turn 63 (1480 BC)
Cumae founded
Cumae begins: Worker

Turn 64 (1440 BC)
Antium begins: Granary
Antium begins: Barracks

Turn 65 (1400 BC)
Rome finishes: Granary
Antium finishes: Worker

Turn 66 (1360 BC)

Turn 67 (1320 BC)

Turn 68 (1280 BC)

Turn 69 (1240 BC)
Rome grows: 4

Turn 70 (1200 BC)

Our empire with 2 or 3 suggested city sites.... I suggest settling the town NE of Rome first to hook up Iron.
Then try to get in the city due SE of Antium.
We need culture in Cumae pretty badly. Suggest researching Mysticism next to be able to build a Obilisk. Then head for writing.
After writing we need to start aiming for a religion & possibly a war with good old Gengis... I really like that site with 2 gems in its radious, but right now its to far away and would allready be culturaly pressed.

For the near future...
Culture for Cumae (after the worker, we then have 3 workers which should be enough for a while)
Grab an axe (or 2) and take out that barb city before it becomes to much of an hassle.
Grab a unit or 2 and head out east and west, I would like very much to know what the land out there looks like. Allthough there is probably not to much of it left....

The Save

Wow, fast turn around on those turns. Good to see we have iron that can't be taken away. I agree barbs need to be removed. Make sure we have enough units to get the job done and we can get some nicely upgraded units as a result:)
I didn't think there was much E/W, I kept seeing shoreline. I could, of course, be mistaken.:blush:
I have to check the save for more comments.

Order:
Lawman-up
JeeJeep-on deck
TomPW? - If you want to drop back to original order, I was kind of expecting we would do that, in which case you're "in the hold"

ganoman21 said:
Wow, fast turn around on those turns. Good to see we have iron that can't be taken away. I agree barbs need to be removed. Make sure we have enough units to get the job done and we can get some nicely upgraded units as a result:)
One axe should do the trick, tho a second can probably not hurt... It is probably still warriors only ...

ganoman21 said:
I didn't think there was much E/W, I kept seeing shoreline. I could, of course, be mistaken.:blush:
I have to check the save for more comments.
I am hoping there is a nice spot left for a city due East, as well as one due West

For east I was thinking maybe grab them horses and cow? 1S of my 'Scout sign' but if there are more resources we might change that.
Due West I am sure we are missing some land... (see Tom's last screeny, no water there) ... there could be something like a 5 by 3 or 4 tile area there covered in black fog that could be land. Possibly way more? Probably not to much more, or we would have had another neighbour...

What about my 'city plan' ? Any comments?

Please take note of Gengis... We are quite weak in Military and the Cumea vs Turfan situation aint helping either (close borders). If we dont get our military up soon, I would expect Gengis to DoW well before this returns to me.

Please take note of Gengis... We are quite weak in Military and the Cumea vs Turfan situation aint helping either (close borders). If we dont get our military up soon, I would expect Gengis to DoW well before this returns to me

I don't think AIs usually declare that early, so we should be safe for a turnset or two.

I think the city plan looks good. The east city will of course depend on what's there (when scouted). I think a city SW of Rome would be an excellent choice too, but definitely lets hook up iron and get the SE city first.
Still haven't looked at the save yet, maybe today at work :)

BTW, did anyone else think the line of beavers up north looked funny? Like a beaver invasion army :)

Update:
Yea, i really think its coast to the East. As for the north city, I would think it would be better 1 tile SE of where its marked because those tundra tiles are bad. I think the SE city will be founded right where it says to scout. I think it's a penninsula.

I am worried that our two neighbors happen to be good friends (and they are not even the same religion). Should the opportunity arise where we can switch to buddhism, it would be wise to save our backs. As for technology, I would like to see writing soon for libraries. Construction would be ideal if we are planning on taking cities.
Any thoughts for Techs?

Right now - Lawman - I hope you connect that rice to the capital. We need health!!!!11

Techs. Well I suggested picking up Mysticism for an obilisk or 2 (our 2 southern cities) just to pop their borders. The both dont have actual uses for a library or anything... So an obilisk will do just a nicely...

What up then? Uhm Head for CoL and Alpha, in referse order probably.
We can then trade ourselves to the bottom half techs (religion techs) we are currently missing.

Oh I dont remember if we have it.. Sailing for the fishing nets will probably be nice to have somewhere down the road as well as the next one for some boats...

If we can get Mysticsm, and start chopping a forest close to Rome, it might be worth a shot at Stonehenge to pop the borders. Then again, if we don't expand much more until calender it would be better to wait for Libraries to pop the borders. We've probably left it too late for any realistic shot at that wonder anyway, but what with the need to get a lot of borders popped perhaps it is worth consideration at least.

Rome is heavily floodplained though, and chopping forests would increase the health issues there - so we'll have to be conservative with the chops at least until the rice is hooked up, as well as a couple more health resources.

Tom

To make matters worse, Tom, the chopping is so nerfed that it is nearly pointless for wonders. 20 shields plus decreasing yields with distance...won't make much of a dent. As for the obelisk vs. Library, we could do either since the insence is the only resource we would need Calendar for, so it would be possible to stall, but why waste shields? Those cities are definitely going to have $$ (floodplains, mine & coast) so that goes to science. Antium has 1 forest it can chop to help the library along. Cumae will have cows, so +1 health from that makes up for deforestation.
The +3 culture for Cumae may help flip Turfan too.
Just my opinion.

About 5-8 Praets would destroy the Mongolian Civilization (you will want to do this before he gets culture in his cities b/c then you have the 20% modifier).

Agreed on the praetorian status. If we get that settler to the NE and start cranking out praetorians, it really doesnt matter what happens to the SE spot since it will be ours. That might be 20-30 turns from now though. I am sure there will be a +20% modifier by the time we can get 5-8 praetorians. I still think that with combat 1&2 they will crush the small cities.

I agree that we should take on Genghis while our advantage is still here (Praets) and maybe even 5-8 will do the Genghis trick. But we have to have 2 or 3 extra preats to cover our backyard. What with the Barb city allready there... Bound to be archers and Axes soon...

A 20% bonus on power 3 archers vs 8 Praets ... Yeah thats going to be though.... :lol:

If we run into some Axemen on defence behind 20% that less funny. Power 5 + 50% + 20% ... Wrong side of the odds...
So we may want to bring an horsearcher or 2 just for these cases... For 1 thing they dont have the 50% vs Axe and may flee the battle. Alltho believe it or not (I sure didnt) them horses are 10 hammers more expensive then our praets....

About the Cumea/culture/Turfan situation... Lib will take to long I think. I just wanted to secure the border with the Horses and grab the cows with the Obilisk. Then make a Barracks in Cumea and Praets...

While we are at it... Should we march all the way south? Or do we want to leave us a trading partner?

Our new town (north) IMHO should start out just building some plain old Warriors. Just 2 to 4 or so, they can serve very good cheap homeland defenders for eg. Rome and Antium after we take on the Mongolians.

I sure hope the Lawman is getting some of this before he plays... This is a good discussion, I hope we keep it up...

Good Points, but remember there could be a mountain city, or city with walls. Archers get +defense for cities and +defense for fortification. A lot of archers with approximately 6 power can wear down an invasion force, then easily retake a city with axemen. not that that should stop us :)
Horses...Eh, I think so far there are no axemen. We could build one for scouting purposes too.
As far as conquering this entire continent - wasn't that the orginal goal of our game? :king:

I see your point about obelisks. They are 1/3 the cost and that matters if we are about to go to war. The horses will be great for hammers.

namliaM said:
I agree that we should take on Genghis while our advantage is still here (Praets) and maybe even 5-8 will do the Genghis trick. But we have to have 2 or 3 extra preats to cover our backyard. What with the Barb city allready there... Bound to be archers and Axes soon...

While we are at it... Should we march all the way south? Or do we want to leave us a trading partner?

send one axe/praet to sit in the woods outside of the barb city, it will do nothing but build one unit at a time and throw it againist your fortified unit. it will never present more of a problem than that if you sit a unit in some woods near it, preferably within its cultural radius.

You will never be able to trade with Genghis after you attack him, and even if you could he will likely fall behind you really quickly... so there would not be anything to even get from him. Finish him, fill your continent while building courthouses. After CoL go straight to Optics and make contact with everybody.

I might build one or two chariots/horse archers, but not to fight cities with,a City Raider Praet will still be your best bet even againist axes. I would use the mounted units to pillage their horses and metal. Don't forget to stick like 2-3 spearmen in the stack with your Praets, in case Genghis has a source of horses and starts sending Keshiks.

Top Bottom