Prince Philip, and DMX, died today

I was about to say that you all need to enjoy more 90s Rap, but a good part was apparently the early 2000s.

His best song, IMHO.

Thank you for posting that. I didn't recollect hearing any of his rap.
I listen to CDs in my car and really hate buying a Best of ....
and then having them produce another brilliancy afterwards.
On this basis I waited until David Bowie died before buying.

To be honest, DMZ's rap is not my style, I prefer Cardi B's;
but that probably reflects my age, sex and cultural style.

Yeah, Prince Philip was super funny :D.

(yeah, not intentional, I know)

I doubt that many of the people, the political correct people claim he offended,
ever took his comments as more than good natured light heated banter.

Kind of...but the unraveling took a good 30 years to finish playing out after they got in.

Could they have realistically changed course at any point? Probably not.

They sold the modern version of the old empire... the Commonwealth
The British Commonwealth of Nations was renamed in 1949 into the Commonwealth of Nations. The mutual prosperity for the members, being free and equal nations.

I'm not asking anyone to shed tears over Prince Philip - just have a bit of respect - not only for him, but for the elderly in general who have been generally seen as expendable and not worth the effort of being treated with respect or compassion during the pandemic.

Given how many people in the UK have died without sufficient government effort to avoid those deaths, the level of official state mourning for one rich old racist is probably if anything a bit disrespectful to victims of the pandemic.

Even here they interrupted the football when it happened, and gave him a 41 gun salute, which just seems over the top. The sooner we abolish ties to that institution the better.

Not funny, Birdjaguar. :huh: How would you and your fellow American members here like it if I were to post mocking drivel about a recently-deceased politically significant individual in your country who was generally regarded as a bit of a curmudgeon but not a generally bad person, who had a job to do and did it reasonably well for about 70 years?

And before anyone says Prince Philip was politically insignificant in Canada, it's not the person himself so much as the role he played (that would have been filled no matter who the Queen married). It's a bonus that he was able to be so supportive of her for all these decades.

It's also a constitutional thing.

And of course there are monarchists here who hope the Queen is being adequately supported by her family, as we'd like her to stick around as long as possible.

This dutifully owed tribute and respect to a deeply unimpressive figure, foist on us by an out of date constitution, is actually pretty illustrative of the deep philosophical problems with monarchy. The guy only gets all that fawning because of his position, which is something he only has because of who his family is. Watching him get that praise and deference from even progressive political/media type figures, from literally the Australian Republican Movement who could have just stayed quiet... it just drives home that being a ruling aristocrat is automatically worthy of reverence and attention even if you're only famous for constantly saying racist things.

The whole episode also shows how insidious all the propaganda around Queen Elizabeth is. Like who cares that she had "support" in her position, she shouldn't have the position she has in the first place. The Queen isn't "one of the good ones", she's at the heart of all the problems with the institution, giving consent and approval.

Last edited:
I've never followed anything about Prince Phillip. I take it he has a history then of vehement racism? That part was completely left out of all coverage, naturally.

I mean his uncle was the last governor of India, and he married Elizabeth the year India won its independence, and well before many other places did.

I dunno that you can be that closely aligned to an extractive colonial empire, which was still pillaging a bunch of places during your formative years, and not be a massive racist. But yes he also said plenty of gross things over the years.

Google says he was 'gaffe prone', which is a great euphemism.

I do have to say this one made me laugh:
1995: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?" Asked of a Scottish driving instructor.

Google says he was 'gaffe prone', which is a great euphemism.

I do have to say this one made me laugh:
1995: "How do you keep the natives off the booze long enough to pass the test?" Asked of a Scottish driving instructor.

His gafffes don't seem to have the viciousness of the new right.

@Arwon since Australia keeps electing reactionary government's and at a casual level are more racist than Americans sans the royal family you could elect an Aussie Trump.

They didn't.

I've never followed anything about Prince Phillip. I take it he has a history then of vehement racism? That part was completely left out of all coverage, naturally.
Depends on the news source. Some left it in.

Most coverage here has focused on his role as a support to the Queen and how his situation was similar to that of Prince Albert when Queen Victoria ruled.

Unison on Prince Phil:

Quick grammatical tip, apropos of nothing - correct usage is "one fewer bigot" and not "one less bigot".
Then when someone pointed out that he did something in the war they said:

Oswald Mosley fought on the Western Front.
Can we perhaps dispense with the idea that no one that fought in the armed forces could possibly have repugnant personal views?​

Unison on Prince Phil:

Quick grammatical tip, apropos of nothing - correct usage is "one fewer bigot" and not "one less bigot".

upload_2021-4-13_16-39-1.png

Seen on google news just now:

Did not he have her killed?

Seen on google news just now:

Did not he have her killed?
That's one of the unproven conspiracy theories. And then sometimes a traffic accident is just a traffic accident, caused by a combination of stupidly combining alcohol and speed.

I've never followed anything about Prince Phillip.
Same, mostly the Queen has the spotlight. Then again, were both Yanks across the pond.

I literally did not know who prince Phillip was or that the queen had a living husband until his death.

But DMX gave me courage at many a middle school dance. RIP you wild star of a human.

I don't know what was more disturbing, his death or the fact that he was 50.

Top Bottom