Problems with attaining the Greek Fire achievement

Hi, I've been having difficulty with this achievement. I've performed the required actions over and over again but the achievement won't tick. I took a look at my debug.log file, expecting to find a counter which I guess would look something like;

[81296.265] DBG: Steam Stat: ESTEAMSTAT_DROMONGREEKSHIPS =

....or something to that effect, but there's nothing in the steam stat counter section in my debug.log file. Is this usual? All I have is the actual achievement line;

[81296.265] DBG: 223 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_XP1_33 (Greek Fire) = Locked

Like I said I've done it over and over, even tried using the FeiLing_GK_GreekFire-Theodora.Civ5Save file and that didn't do it either, what am I missing?

Thanks all

You used the save file from the Achievements thread and still couldn't get it to activate? Do you other achievements work? If they do, then it sounds like that achievement must be broken. I got it so long ago but I don't remember any issues with it at the time.

Do all 10 kills have to be in the same game? (I would assume so) I just played a marathon duel game; just me and Alex. King difficulty, on a small islands map. Boy, that was tedious at first. Alex only built a few ships. I think I sank 2. It was weird because he built the Great Lighthouse and then didn't use it. I finally got tired of playing and put him out of his misery.

Think I'll try it again with almost the same settings, but maybe epic pace and emperor.

Epic is a much better pace than marathon on small maps. I'm up to immortal now and still haven't got the achievement; Alex just doesn't seem to build ships until the Renaissance (one trireme to explore and that's it), and even then he doesn't build many. In this game he mostly spammed wonders. It was pretty cool winning a domination victory on immortal.

I now have my first legitimate win at deity level. Still didn't get the achievement. I probably sank about 6 or 7 Greek triremes and one galleass. Alex declared war on me. It's amazing how many units he had around turn 20. I fought off his initial assault, pushed back and captured Corinth. Then took Athens. "Just one more turn..." and I killed the rest of his navy and captured whatever his last city was. (I think it was Sparta.)

My policies were Tradition opener, full Honor (right side first), and next would have been either continue in Tradition or open Exploration but I finished this one soon after finishing Honor. It was quicker than my emperor or immortal games because we settled closer, and Alex started the war a dozen turns before I would have. His huge number of units just meant quicker XP for mine. Once some of my dromons got range promotions and a couple more had logistics, it was pretty much over.

I now have my first legitimate win at deity level. Still didn't get the achievement. I probably sank about 6 or 7 Greek triremes and one galleass. Alex declared war on me. It's amazing how many units he had around turn 20. I fought off his initial assault, pushed back and captured Corinth. Then took Athens. "Just one more turn..." and I killed the rest of his navy and captured whatever his last city was. (I think it was Sparta.)

Total congrats on breaking through that ceiling!!

I just won another deity game w/o getting the achievement. (the deity part is getting easier :) ) I think I need to drop back to emperor, and play on a larger map (tiny or small instead of duel) and pick Alex for all the AI's. Even tho' that gets confusing (Alexander pops up and says "Alexander is becoming a nuisance...", and I don't know which Alex I'm talking to and to which he's referring)

I finally got the GF achievement. :banana: My second attempt playing on a tiny archipelago map against 3 Alexanders at emperor level. (first time, I got distracted building wonders after the first war, when I should have been fighting a second war) I never saw the achievement popup, But I thought to myself "I've killed an awful lot of Greek ships", and I checked the achievement status and there it was.

So that's how to get it w/o hotseat mode: play at a moderately high difficulty against multiple Greek opponents. Build lots of dromons and only enough culture and gold buildings so you don't fall too far behind there. I don't know that science matters, other than it's nice to get to the medieval era in time to unlock Exploration by the time you finish Tradition, Liberty, or Honor (I went Honor.) I only settled 2 cities, and I did build the Great Lighthouse and most of the national wonders. Other than that, I mostly build cargo ships because they kept getting plundered, but that told me where there was a Greek ship I could go kill so it was a good thing.

One of the first things I built was a shrine, and I took the God-King pantheon and that was enough to found the first religion this time. I wanted the fishing boats pantheon as my bonus belief but it was taken already.

I am currently trying this. I realize this post is many years ago now...but I see one of the repliers posted about this so I want to know the answer, before I spend many more hours on efforts.

My achievements debug file shows:

[1330799.843] DBG: 223 (L): ACHIEVEMENT_XP1_33 (Greek Fire) = Locked

Is this normal or what? I'm over 60% on my Steam Civ 5 achievements, but am wondering if this will be an issue, even if I ever get this pesky achievement.

Last had a Warlord game....managed to sink maybe 5 and came close on a few others that disappeared...but the Greeks stopped making Triremes. So I gave up. Plan on trying Prince and other ideas. But want to know if wasting time here.

Top Bottom