Question about CS UU gifts

I don't like either donating your CS gifted units or scrapping them for cash. Suicide them. You can get a lot more aggressive with the AI if you don't mind losing some units, and it makes taking turtles possible. You don't want the horse? Attack that crossbow next to the city. He'll kill your horse, you set up your siege.

^^That's a good approach if you're going to war.

But you're not planning on going to war, then those units are costing maintenance.

Shouldn't getting excess units influence you into going to war? I mean, if you had a CV in mind, but you roll a map with 4 militaristics, why not adjust? You can still get a CV.

As I understood it, the requirements for a CS to gift a unique unit are:

1.) The CS is allowed to build the specific unit (highlight over the "militaristic" text to see which UU it can spawn).
2.) The CS has access to the technology that unlocks that unit. I don't think it matters which techs the player has.
3.) The CS does not have access to the tech that obsoletes that unit. Again, I don't think it matters which techs the player has.
4.) The CS has access to the requisite strategic resource (if applicable).

As I understand it, CSs have their own tech tree, and they unlock techs based on either the most advanced civ(s) that they've met, the civ that they are allied with, or some average tech level of the civ(s) they've met. I could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen CSs gift me units that I don't have the tech for, and I'm also pretty sure that I've seen CSs gift me a unit that is already obsolete.

As I understood it, the requirements for a CS to gift a unique unit are:

1.) The CS is allowed to build the specific unit (highlight over the "militaristic" text to see which UU it can spawn).
2.) The CS has access to the technology that unlocks that unit. I don't think it matters which techs the player has.
3.) The CS does not have access to the tech that obsoletes that unit. Again, I don't think it matters which techs the player has.
4.) The CS has access to the requisite strategic resource (if applicable).

As I understand it, CSs have their own tech tree, and they unlock techs based on either the most advanced civ(s) that they've met, the civ that they are allied with, or some average tech level of the civ(s) they've met. I could be wrong though.

I'm pretty sure that I've seen CSs gift me units that I don't have the tech for, and I'm also pretty sure that I've seen CSs gift me a unit that is already obsolete.

Sorry, but everything you said relating to gifted units is wrong. The units gifted are based on your tech progression, not on the CS techs progression. Neither do they require a strategic resource of the appropiate type, nor do you need to have one to get a unit with a strat res requirement.

Specific resources (coal, aluminium, etc) are bound to their tech tree and can only be granted if they reach that tech, but gifted units are not affected by this.

The correct requirements to get a UU gift from a CS are:
1) Be allied (not friends) with an appropiate militaristic CS.
2) Have the appropiate tech that unlocks the UU/the unit the UU replaces researched.
3) Don't have the tech researched that obsoletes the UU in question.
4) Wait until they gift you a unit.

Everything else is not consider for CS unit gifting. Likewise, CS never gift naval units.

Two-way street on the insta-healing. If the unit is CS gift trash and you happen to get it to 10xp, insta-heal it and press on. Free 50 hp of fodder. More often than not, my CS gifts come with 15xp right out of the starting gate ( not sure why yet--is it because I have a barracks, or he does?). They can be promotion-saved and you can defer the decision whether to use it after the very first combat.

Top Bottom