Question/help required for trade routes?

SaitenMar

Chieftain
Hello,

First of all I apologise if this as already been asked, but having had a quick look on this forum and on the web I couldn't find a direct answer to my issue. You see I have a civilization on a continent with four cities connected by roads. Now only one of these cities is detailed as being part of my trade route (it as an harbour if that affects anything) and even as the trade route symbol just below the city's name. Yet the other three for some reason are not part of the route despite being connected to the capital by road.
There is no other civilization interfering so I can't figure it out. Maybe that's how it is and I can only have one city connected through a trade route. Obviously the concern is I'm not getting gold from these cities that I should be.

Anyone know of this and could enlighten a less knowledgeable man like myself.
Much appreciated. :D

Hi, welcome to the forums. I can think of a few reasons why your trade routes are not working.

1) you are playing a save game from before the patch (things get glitchy)
2) check the entire road, there must be something amiss, sometimes barbarians and other civs can pillage your roads (which is barely visible, you'll notice your roads are just brownish on strategic view)
3)you just discovered a new glitch!, you can be a sport and write about it to Firaxis on the bug reports either here or in the 2k forums
4)based on what you described I can only think it's one of those 3, there should be (to my knowledge) no reason why you wouldn't get a trade route.

The harbor improvement forms a trade route by sea, so that's why that city shows one. As for the other three OrsonM has summed up the possibilities pretty well. My money would be on a missing connection somewhere - depending on terrain and improvements, some tiles are difficult to tell whether you have a road or not. If you hover your cursor over the tile, you'll get a list of the improvements.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is it possible that a tile improvement affects a trade route? I have one or two on the path of the road, other then that it looks fine. It was connected as a trade route before, just suddenly no longer registered as one.

Will continue to investigate.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is it possible that a tile improvement affects a trade route? I have one or two on the path of the road, other then that it looks fine. It was connected as a trade route before, just suddenly no longer registered as one.

Will continue to investigate.

Tile improvements should not interfere with the road, at least I can't think of a case where that's happened. I find that some improvements, like some of the plantations, make it harder to see the road (or see that you're missing a segment).

If it previously registered as a route, then somehow the road's gotten broken. Have any of the AIs founded cities whose new borders cross over your roads? I am pretty sure that can deactivate trade routes.

My guess is you have a partially finished road. Mouse over each tile on the road's path and see if it says there is definitely a road. If not that, I have no idea. Maybe a screenshot would help?

Trade routes reconnected! Thanks for the help.

The problem was a mine that the road went through, it had been pillaged at one point and even though I had repaired it, the mine was still detailed as being pillaged. Easy to miss as there was no smoke whatsoever. But all is well in my civilization.

Again, thanks.

Top Bottom