Question on vassalage

Proze

Chieftain
So basically I am quite a new player for VP and this is my first time trying Domination victory. I found out that it is pretty easy to vassalage other civ once I conquered their capitals. As far as what I have known, after vassalage other civ, I can get part of their production every turn. However, I would like to ask what are the Pros and Cons for vassalage? Are there any situation that I better not vassalage but just sign a peace treaty or eliminate the entire civ instead?

There are very few downsides

Conquer whatever cities of theirs have good resources/wonders/positioning and leave the rest so that you can vampire some science/culture/money from them

I would never just sign a peace treaty. The civ will oppose you forever until you conquer or vassal them. There are situations where conquering is better though, and it basically boils down to how badly you want their last city. If their last city is their capital with enough luxury resources to give you a monopoly and/or some world wonders, it is probably worth it to conquer. Also, depending where you are at in the game, they may be hiding all of their great works in their last city.

Besides that, there are moderate vassal costs, and other civs will dislike you for having multiple vassals. However, they will dislike you much more for conquering civs, which will give you a massive warmonger penalty. Warmonger penalties actually harm you directly by giving other civs a combat bonus against you when they're defending their territory.

downsides that I'm aware of:
other civs get a negative diplomatic modifier if you have multiple vassals
vassals can still work against you. they can vote against you in the world congress, take city state allies, etc. can also eventually rebel

Thank you guys. It seems that it is better to vassalage other civ in most of the time.

downsides that I'm aware of:
other civs get a negative diplomatic modifier if you have multiple vassals
vassals can still work against you. they can vote against you in the world congress, take city state allies, etc. can also eventually rebel

Oh man I found out the hard way, I vassalized Venice early in the game, and the little fudger was buying my allied city-states and voting against me in World Congress. Should have conquered.

Most of the time it depend on how you treat them.

Numerous way to positively affect relation :
  • Sharing religion IF they didn't found themselves (or else destroy their religion prior),
  • Sending trade routes to them,
  • Defending their lands if they are attacked
Numerous way to negatively affect relation :
  • Stealing territory with a Great General after vassalizing them,
  • Setting any sort of money tax,
  • Failing to defend them during war,
  • Spying on them

Oh man I found out the hard way, I vassalized Venice early in the game, and the little fudger was buying my allied city-states and voting against me in World Congress. Should have conquered.
Man I just vassalized Siam and now I am afraid that it will vote against me in world congress later on. Guess I should send some trade route to it

In the current meta there's not much downside to vassaling.
I think it would be better if the more vassals you have the more they would dislike you, and if one of them declares war for independence then they all declare war on you.

Last edited:
Top Bottom