Question regarding the UN vote

elprofesor

Pluri-editing poster
Just asking (I'm sorry if this has been asked before, I couldn't find an answer because of the interference of civ3, civ4 threads):

Are you always the first civ trying to buy CS votes before the UN vote? That is, after your last turn, will all other civs have a last opportunity to bribe CS votes out of you before the vote?

I had a game where Hiawatha bought twice a CS right before the vote, denying me the win with no possibility for me to react. He built the UN, so it may explain this.

PS: I don't mind at all this penalty, since AIs seem to have a hard time understanding the "diplo" (read: economic) victory, but would like to know nevertheless.

If you have a big rival in Diploma Victory, you can (at the last turn) try buy some of his/her allied CSs, then DoW on him/her. This will prevent he/she "re-buy" the CSs, and, you win!

I reckon it might depend on who builds the UN.

In my game last night, I built the UN (thanks to a saved GE) and when the clock ticked down to "1" I spent all my remaining money on buying a few more CS's. Clicked Next Turn and won!!

I reckon the leading AI didn't get the oppurtunity to claim back any CS's as he had 52,000:c5gold: in the bank. :eek:

@illserveu: I reckon I hadn't thought of that, I'll take it into account next time. Still, it feels sliiiiiightly cheesy, and doesn't really answer my question (although since I don't play MP, it doesn't make a great difference).

@TM Moot: the problem is, we don't know if he didn't have a chance or if it was just bad programming. In my case, I'm sure I couldn't do a thing because the events were:
-Turn (T-1): I have all the CS, I click "NEXT TURN";
-Hiawatha's turn: he buys a CS;
-Turn T: the "UN vote" button appears. Before the vote, I buy the lost CS. Then I vote for myself. The CS vote went to Hiawatha;

To prove if the UN builder is the one who has the last word about CS alliances, the "UN vote" turn should start with the player losing the vote (the button appears at the beginning of your turn, not at the end, right?), then buying enough CS, and finally voting, to see who the CS vote. . If it's you, then you are the last one to buy CS. Or maybe the bribing of CS done by other civs after your (T-1) turn is irrelevant. If neither is true, then the AIs always have the advantage.
Maybe it's a SP specific mechanic, since you always know the result of the vote during your turn (and not after every civ plays its turn). I actually remember this only vaguely, given how small the seen difference is, so I might be wrong.

Obviously, all this would be easier to test in a MP game.

Tip: turn off diplo victory until they fix it.

Its not broken? It looks broken to me...the biggest warmonger can win easily, and most of the times he does win.

I always defend ciV in these forums, and I largely like where the game and series are going. I even excuse the AI somewhat, because I see them making real progress (ie: naval warfare is a bit better now, diplomacy is getting the bugs worked out).

But Diplomatic Victory is really irritating to me as it stands. First thing, is it should be called Economic Victory. The second thing, is that it is a "backup" victory. If your initial plan fails, you can always rush to Globalization, Build the UN, buy up enough votes to win, and ta da. Of course this is single player. I imagine multiplayer is even worse.

For now, I just turn Diplo off. It makes the games better, in my opinion. I would like to see some re-balancing to this victory condition, and I hope they consider it soon.

As I said on other thread, one easy and quick fix is CSs votes weight less than the civs votes.

Example, one CS vote = 0,25 civ vote.

That way, what you have done to the others civs will be more relevant than the money you got to bribe CSs.

As I said on other thread, one easy and quick fix is CSs votes weight less than the civs votes.

Example, one CS vote = 0,25 civ vote.

That way, what you have done to the others civs will be more relevant than the money you got to bribe CSs.

But another civ will only vote for you if you brought him back from the dead.

The problem with the UN, is that because of the AI coding (win or nothing), they will never concede to be 2nd place. The only way to fix this is with a Vassal system akin to IV, I think. Then in the case of a lost war (instead of giving away all their cities), or in the case of simply becoming backwards (score of 224 when average is 790, or whatever metric) you could levy your diplomatic skills to secure another future vote.

Tip: turn off diplo victory until they fix it.

Its not broken? It looks broken to me...the biggest warmonger can win easily, and most of the times he does win.

Agree 100%...

Top Bottom