Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

vorlon_mi:

Yes

Just confirming something I read in one of the strategy forums:
If my civ is experiencing a golden age (GA), is it true I can change civics with no anarchy?

As mentioned, this is true. You can also do this at any time if you have the Spiritual trait (but there is the 5-turn timer between switches).

Love the Mandela quote btw :)

Just confirming something I read in one of the strategy forums:
If my civ is experiencing a golden age (GA), is it true I can change civics with no anarchy?
If you're playing BTS it's true. If you're playing Vanilla it's false. I think it's false as well for Warlords.

If you're playing BTS it's true. If you're playing Vanilla it's false. I think it's false as well for Warlords.

I am playing BTS, but it's good to know the differences.

I am playing BTS, but it's good to know the differences.

Apologies for the no-content post, but as I haven't posted in a Civ iv forum for a while, some players may not be aware of the list of differences I posted a few years back - see signature.

And in this specific case, warlords is like vanilla as was thought.

Sorry for such a noob question, but do you always chop down a forest before building a mine?
If you mean does it have to be chopped to build a mine, the answer is yes.

If you mean should you first spend 3 turns chopping and then 4 turns building a mine instead of 7 turns building a mine and getting the forest chopped at the end, the answer is still yes, almost all the time. You get the hammers from the chop earlier, which means you probably complete the build earlier and get the benefits from that build earlier.

The exceptions are if you have Mathematics coming in in 4-6 turns (wait with the chop for 50% extra hammers), or if you want the hammers to go into something you cannot build until 4-6 turns from now. For example a wonder that you don't have the tech for yet, but resource boost on the chop hammers. Sometimes you also want to delay the chop for other micro reasons. If you for example are chopping many forests into cheap early units, you want to time them so that you don't get too much overflow, which would be turned into gold instead of hammers.

You can time the chop to any turn between 3-7 turns from starting chopping/mining. For example, you can do 2 turns of chopping, then 2 turns of building mine, then again one turn of chopping to finish the chop, then 2 more turns of building mine to finish the mine.

If you mean does it have to be chopped to build a mine, the answer is yes.

If you mean should you first spend 3 turns chopping and then 4 turns building a mine instead of 7 turns building a mine and getting the forest chopped at the end, the answer is still yes, almost all the time. You get the hammers from the chop earlier, which means you probably complete the build earlier and get the benefits from that build earlier.

The exceptions are if you have Mathematics coming in in 4-6 turns (wait with the chop for 50% extra hammers), or if you want the hammers to go into something you cannot build until 4-6 turns from now. For example a wonder that you don't have the tech for yet, but resource boost on the chop hammers. Sometimes you also want to delay the chop for other micro reasons. If you for example are chopping many forests into cheap early units, you want to time them so that you don't get too much overflow, which would be turned into gold instead of hammers.

You can time the chop to any turn between 3-7 turns from starting chopping/mining. For example, you can do 2 turns of chopping, then 2 turns of building mine, then again one turn of chopping to finish the chop, then 2 more turns of building mine to finish the mine.

All of this is so technical for me and is real intimidating! One of the options were "chop down forest and get +20 productivity" the other option was just only to build a mine.

Now I'm trying to see if i can do this most efficiently by chopping down the forest manually first, THEN build a mine. That way i'll get the hammers and also the mine.

Or should i just build the mine...will i still get the +20 productivity automatically?

All of this is so technical for me and is real intimidating! One of the options were "chop down forest and get +20 productivity" the other option was just only to build a mine.

Now I'm trying to see if i can do this most efficiently by chopping down the forest manually first, THEN build a mine. That way i'll get the hammers and also the mine.

Or should i just build the mine...will i still get the +20 productivity automatically?
Yes, you still do get the 20 hammers if you just build the mine (30 hammers with Mathematics). BUT, you get the hammers 4 turns later than if you chop the forest first and then build a mine (assuming normal speed). My point was that getting hammers earlier is better, therefore, chop first, then build mine.

There is also the rare case where you're working the square prior and you want to keep getting the hammers until the mine is built. Rare, but it has happened for me a few times.

I just had the delightful experience of founding Islam while semi-isolated (I got a low-odds Prophet, saw Islam wasn't founded already, and grabbed it for the culture/happiness/shrine money).

I seldom found religions so I was surprised at what happened next. I got three free Missionaries, which I think I knew would happen (I've gotten a free Missionary from founding Confucionism a few times), but I also saw Islam spread naturally to 14 cities (including several of my neighbour's cities) in the next 2 turns. Is this normal behaviour? I'm playing the LoR mod, but I don't recall anything in the mod that said religions would spread naturally this fast.

I've never played LoR but I have founded Islam now and then in regular BTS. You only get 1 free missionary in regular BTS, so LoR must have some changes in the religion stuff. Perhaps the rate of spread has been changed along with the number of missionaries.

As a matter of fact LoR has made some changes to make later religions spread faster.

If you want to know how much money a Great Merchant will give in each city, how can you know?

I think that there is a way to know (without having to go to the actual cities), but can't find that info anywhere!

Can anybody help?

If you want to know how much money a Great Merchant will give in each city, how can you know?

I think that there is a way to know (without having to go to the actual cities), but can't find that info anywhere!

Can anybody help?

If the great Merchant is on the same continent you can. Hold down shift, click the "Go To" unit action button, click the city in question, and mouse over the "Conduct Trade Mission" button. It will tell you how much the mission would make.

Thanks! :goodjob:

I was actually trying to see how much it would give in another continent but now I realize that I have to actually go there...

Hello and question about combat bonuses.

When I target enemy Knight with my Pikeman (who has +100% vs Mounted bonus), the ability affects the enemy Knight, reducing his total str.
However, when I target enemy Pikeman with my Knight , his ability increases Pikemen str, rather than reducing mine.

Whats up with that?

Thank you!

Top Bottom