Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

TY guys, U R very helpfull
I recommend installing BUG/BULL using the SP (Custom Asset) option. You can install it both ways actually, but the custom asset option allows opening of saves with or without a mod (the mod is not loaded). This allows you to play some of the forum games over in the Strategy & Tips forum...lots of stuff going on there.

Blue Marble is another nice little mod that improves the terrain and water graphics. You can find a link where the BUG stuff is located. This mod also does not need to be loaded. Once installed it's just "there". You can change the color of the ui as well.

BAT is BUG/BULL plus some enhanced graphics in a standalone mod.

BUFFY is also BUG/BULL but includes the HOF mod for use with some of the forum competitive features like Game of the Month and Hall of Fame. (see my sig)

You can install it all.

I don't understand why the most recommended mods are bug and bull. They are both into the bat which IMHO makes bat exactly the best option for anyone who want to mod their game. Who wouldn't love the better graphics?

I don't like BAT graphics. Also, I wouldn't recommend BUG or BULL, but BUFFY. :) I also don't see them as mods.

True they are mods but really needed and essential so... in that case maybe they are already not considered as mods. I can't imagine playin without Bat. I just think that it deserves more love but fair enough... maybe not everyone likes it. If I didn't watch Lain I would surely forget how the vanilla graphics looks without the bat! but even now after all this time when i watch some video I still hear myself snorting ''deim, that green really looks bad and ugly'' :D

Who wouldn't love the better graphics?
Not all of the graphics are better though, I especially take umbridge with replacing most civ flags with the official flags of modern nation states. You try telling which unit belongs to which civ when a French, Russian and Dutch unit are on tiles bordering each other! There's a good reason the Civ developers went with more abstract symbols instead.

I don't like the BAT graphics either. Makes it much harder to see rivers, and the game becomes a bit more sluggish. But most importantly, it's frustrating to load saves that are using some mod or another when I load a save from the forum. That is why I prefer BUG+BULL in custom assets, like lymond mentioned above. That keeps everything clean and it's very easy to load the saves from other people without needing to change my setup or load any mods. In the case of BAT for example, I don't even have that installed, so I can't load those saves even if I wanted.

I don't understand why the most recommended mods are bug and bull. They are both into the bat which IMHO makes bat exactly the best option for anyone who want to mod their game. Who wouldn't love the better graphics?

I don't like BAT graphics. Also, I wouldn't recommend BUG or BULL, but BUFFY. :) I also don't see them as mods.

I'd recommend BUFFY, the Mod for the almost official (S)GOTM and Hall of Fame games.

Another question, I tried BUG and it works fine (that's what I wanted). I also installed BAT 4.1 for 3.19 (wanted to see that "better graphics"), but it doesnt look different from "vanilla". I installed it "as a mod", and I have it in list of mods, but nothing happens when I load it - looks same. I have 3.19 BTS, also win 10, am I missing something?

Another question, I tried BUG and it works fine (that's what I wanted). I also installed BAT 4.1 for 3.19 (wanted to see that "better graphics"), but it doesnt look different from "vanilla". I installed it "as a mod", and I have it in list of mods, but nothing happens when I load it - looks same. I have 3.19 BTS, also win 10, am I missing something?
I can't reproduce the install as I have it installed, but do recall well that there is an install option for BAT that is simply invalid. I think that is the one you chose. It installs BAT under My Documents/blah blah/Mods, which has never been a valid option and don't know why it exists.

Simply use the other option. Mods should go only in the Mod folder in the main BTS folder (C:/blah blah). If you have the Steam version of BTS, note that there are two BTS folders and the lower level BTS folder is the "main" folder for BTS.

I can't reproduce the install as I have it installed, but do recall well that there is an install option for BAT that is simply invalid. I think that is the one you chose. It installs BAT under My Documents/blah blah/Mods, which has never been a valid option and don't know why it exists.

Simply use the other option. Mods should go only in the Mod folder in the main BTS folder (C:/blah blah). If you have the Steam version of BTS, note that there are two BTS folders and the lower level BTS folder is the "main" folder for BTS.
It is in main folder of BTS/MODS, and its not a steam version of BTS. BAT is installed correctly (I think), I see it in the game, it just simply doesnt "apply" to the game....

It is in main folder of BTS/MODS, and its not a steam version of BTS. BAT is installed correctly (I think), I see it in the game, it just simply doesnt "apply" to the game....
A few questions but I’ll start with one for now:

Did you actually load the mod? The game will relaunch when a mod is loaded. Once it does you should see the name of the mod in the top right corner of the main menu screen

Also, an easy way to load a stand-alone mod that I use is a shortcut:

1) in main bts folder > right click the bts exe and select create shortcut

2) right click the new shortcut and select Properties

3) click in the Target field and hit the END key so the cursor advances to the end of the text

4) hit space button once

5). Add the following:

mod=BAT 4.1

(Note: Basically the text after the = matches the exact name of the mod’s folder...so double check to be sure as I’m going from memory at the moment)

Feel free to name the shortcut aptly as well

Now just run the shortcut to run BAT.

A few questions but I’ll start with one for now:

Did you actually load the mod? The game will relaunch when a mod is loaded. Once it does you should see the name of the mod in the top right corner of the main menu screen
Yes, I did.. game restarts, and i see that "bat 4.1.XML, engine, etc... loading, in right top corner i see "Bat Mod 4.1". Do i maybe start game wrongly? I go to single player - custom game... Do I need to do something else?

Also, an easy way to load a stand-alone mod that I use is a shortcut:

1) in main bts folder > right click the bts exe and select create shortcut

2) right click the new shortcut and select Properties

3) click in the Target field and hit the END key so the cursor advances to the end of the text

4) hit space button once

5). Add the following:

mod=BAT 4.1

(Note: Basically the text after the = matches the exact name of the mod’s folder...so double check to be sure as I’m going from memory at the moment)

Feel free to name the shortcut aptly as well

Now just run the shortcut to run BAT.
I have already shortcut for BAT mod on my desktop, made by installation... same happens

I have already shortcut for BAT mod on my desktop, made by installation... same happens
Okay...seems like it should be there. Maybe it's a question of what you are expecting to see. Can you post an in game screenshot?

Basically, you should see the same BUG/BULL stuff (i think you've used that before). The graphic changes will be somewhat subtle. The terrain is better since Blue Marble is used, and the units and cities have some flavor to them. But it's not like the game will look like Civ 6 or something...ha

Okay...seems like it should be there. Maybe it's a question of what you are expecting to see. Can you post an in game screenshot?

Basically, you should see the same BUG/BULL stuff (i think you've used that before). The graphic changes will be somewhat subtle. The terrain is better since Blue Marble is used, and the units and cities have some flavor to them. But it's not like the game will look like Civ 6 or something...ha
well.. looks exactly the same like vanilla, first thing i should notice are flags? right? here.. flags are same old, terrain looks same....

well.. looks exactly the same like vanilla, first thing i should notice are flags? right? here.. flags are same old, terrain looks same....
Honestly, I don't really pay attention to the flags and I'm so far removed from playing vanilla that I can't tell the difference in that regard. I always use BAT, BUFFY or BUG/BULL and I have Blue Marble installed separately as well.

Do you have the great general and great person bars like BUG?

The terrain should be different but maybe not as perceptible if one's not played the game long. The water should be quite different ...from an ugly light bluish color to a richer blue.

I'd have to see a screenshot to really ascertain if it is truly not there. But if you say that you see BAT in the main menu screen, then it should indeed be loaded. There's nothing you have to do otherwise from that point. Just run as you game normally would

Top Bottom