Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Honestly, I don't really pay attention to the flags and I'm so far removed from playing vanilla that I can't tell the difference in that regard. I always use BAT, BUFFY or BUG/BULL and I have Blue Marble installed separately as well.

Do you have the great general and great person bars like BUG?

The terrain should be different but maybe not as perceptible if one's not played the game long. The water should be quite different ...from an ugly light bluish color to a richer blue.

I'd have to see a screenshot to really ascertain if it is truly not there. But if you say that you see BAT in the main menu screen, then it should indeed be loaded. There's nothing you have to do otherwise from that point. Just run as you game normally would
I sent u 2 screenshots (1 post above).. I mean.. not that I will die without BAT, I just curious, do I do anything wrong? BUG works perfectly

I sent u 2 screenshots (1 post above).. I mean.. not that I will die without BAT, I just curious, do I do anything wrong? BUG works perfectly
one more screenshot please, but settle the city in place...thanks.... terrain seems to look fine I think'

edit: sorry ..settle 2 east please to reveal some water

Does not seem that the mod is running indeed.

Okay, first thing is ..just to be clear....please provide me the FULL exact path in which the mod was installed.

Also, where do you get this version of IV?

Also, under main menu check that "About this Build" shows 3.19 final release. I assume it does but does not hurt to check.

Does not seem that the mod is running indeed.

Okay, first thing is ..just to be clear....please provide me the FULL exact path in which the mod was installed.

Also, where do you get this version of IV?

Also, under main menu check that "About this Build" shows 3.19 final release. I assume it does but does not hurt to check.
https://gyazo.com/68b75b4acb50fe9ffd9642de26ab928e
https://gyazo.com/dc2d2529f6f7b0b21b3c2f489f4ede5e
And, dont bother, if its too complicated, not a big deal...as I said, Im just curious

Also if I unload a "BAT mod", and try to load a savegame from "BAT mod", game recognizes that savegame like "BAT mod 4.1" and requires me to restart Civ IV (and load a BAT mod), but still looks like vanilla...

And, dont bother, if its too complicated, not a big deal...as I said, Im just curious

Well, that stuff looks ok. What operating system are you running? that directory looks old to me.

Anyway, this could be indicative of some other problem that could affect things later, which is why I've been pursuing. it's possible that something else has changed that is causing a conflict. This is a bit bizarre.

Also if I unload a "BAT mod", and try to load a savegame from "BAT mod", game recognizes that savegame like "BAT mod 4.1" and requires me to restart Civ IV (and load a BAT mod), but still looks like vanilla...
Well, the mod is loaded, that is clear from your screenshots. So saves generated would be under that mod, but it escapes me at the moment why the mod features are not present.

Just curious...check your My Docs/blah blah/BTS/Mods folder and let me know if there is anything in there

Last edited:
Well, the mod is loaded, that is clear from your screenshots. So saves generated would be under that mod, but it escapes at the moment why the mod features are not present.

Just curious...check your My Docs/blah blah/BTS/Mods folder and let me know if there is anything in there
This is only thing i found in "my documents folder" (could be some old files from previous attempts, I tried to install it differently, before i asked on civfanatics forum I also installed and reinstalled civ 4 few times)

https://gyazo.com/a76058ac8d4e95e433dcc71eb7e8ecbd
https://gyazo.com/7db9b62bdf8d0623ac64c60e29113ee0
https://gyazo.com/9e67452796698803c3286590e8d46120

BTW, I have win 10 x64, that folder I use is on C: drive (SSD) , I deliberately install it there to run faster (Game works perfectly, even BUG works OK)

@Jazzer32 Also, on a sidenote, I would point you to the Blue Marble mod directly. The link on CFC is dead so I'll provide you a google drive link to my copy:

Blue Marble

Simply unzip and run BM as administrator.

BM installs as an overlay into Custom Assets as well as changing some normal assets as well I believe. It is non-invasive and does not conflict. It does not need to be loaded. Once installed it will just be there unless you delete your Custom Assets folder.

There are two options at installation. Tab 1 installs BM. I like the darker high res option myself.

Tab 2 is a separate and quick install of custom fonts and UI color. Do this after option one, but you can do it any time you want afterwards to change colors. You can create custom colors as well.

Anyway, this is in lieu of BAT not working for now. At least get some terrain upgrade. Pretty sure the regular BM install supercedes BATs version as well but does not matter really.

@Jazzer32 Aha!...delete the BAT folder there completely and try again. There should be nothing there. May have been you attempted the other BAT install option (which really should not exist at all). If that does not work, you may need to uninstall BAT first and reinstall (but don't use the "user folder" option I think it is called..forget now).

I think it will work though. My guess is that folder in My Docs is confusing the game, but honestly never seen this before

(and yes...SSD is great!)

edit: I recommend running game in Compatibility Mode for Win 7. It's ideal. I assume you know how to do it..maybe you already did it. Not related to this problem really but it prevents other issues.

Last edited:
@Jazzer32 Aha!...delete the BAT folder there completely and try again. There should be nothing there. May have been you attempted the other BAT install option (which really should not exist at all). If that does not work, you may need to uninstall BAT first and reinstall (but don't use the "user folder" option I think it is called..forget now).

I think it will work though. My guess is that folder in My Docs is confusing the game, but honestly never seen this before

(and yes...SSD is great!)
Ah, what can i say... THANK YOU.... finally... that was the problem, just deleted that folder, and my eyes got hurt by these bright colors :)

https://gyazo.com/7e1ef16fa34696bd0c2fedb04a5575c9

:banana: now that's more like it! And the flags too.

Nice thing too with BAT is that some optional BULL features are now active automatically that would have to be recompiled to activate otherwise. Like heal on sentry.

Install BM too as it will work when you don't run BAT. And changing UI color is nice.

(I had added a comment about Win 7 above as well)

Last edited:
If you squint at the right angle, you can see the river (this is why I don't like BAT, sorry).

I never had a problem with rivers. I guess the vanilla rivers are a little more prominent but then you have the ugly blue of that water. Anyway, the terrain stuff is from Blue Marble, and I think you can install BAT with it turned off, if I recall.

Yes, you can install BAT without the BM graphics if you like. Or, if you can't, just delete "BM_v4.50_HI.FPK" from the mod assets directory.

And thanks for helping out Jazzer32 @lymond

I actually like the blueness in the original oceans and such too. It's great that mods such as BAT exist. But it's not for everyone, and I happen to prefer the original game's look better.

True, it isn't for everyone. I can understand. There are a couple of mods that I don't like, too.

I always assumed BM tanked performance, which matters the most to me and my toaster comps.
Can I get BM working with Buffy but not affect HoF eligibility?
If so plz explain to me with small words ;)

Top Bottom