Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

toller pretzl said:
I see the AI sailing on the ocean in caravels, when they have not yet discovered Astronomy. How do they do it ? I know from the F4 screen that they don't have Astronomy. And the Civilopedia tells me that it's Astronomy that enables :traderoute: on the ocean. :confused:

Caravels and galleons always have the ability to cross ocean squares.

Astronomy allows you to make trade connections and trade routes across ocean. The trade routes don't affect and aren't affected by how your units can move. Trade routes are set up automatically and out of your control. Trade connections across oceans also means you can trade resources to civs across the ocean.

toller pretzl said:
I see the AI sailing on the ocean in caravels, when they have not yet discovered Astronomy. How do they do it ? I know from the F4 screen that they don't have Astronomy. And the Civilopedia tells me that it's Astronomy that enables :traderoute: on the ocean. :confused:
The magic of astronomy is galleons, which allow you to transport settlers across the ocean etc. Before astronomy, it's impossible to settle land across the ocean since caravels can only transport a limited variety of units (which doesn't include settlers).

What techs triggers the next era?

Is there anyway to tell if your submarine's stealth has been compromised? Do you (and the AI) see subs with destroyers during peacetime?

quick question for everyone. ive read some of this huge thread, and found some info that pertains to my question, but wanted to just ask it to make sure i have it right.
my issue is that once i have a city for a while, it gets "too crowded" and then my food supply drops to nothing. it happens on all my cities. in this thread i did see some info that seemed to say that this is normal and that the only way to offset this, is to build more buildings that up happiness. is that really the only thing i can do? i was trying to build more houses around the city, thinking that it would give people more room and less crowded but it didnt do anything. this is my first time playing a Civ game btw. thanks...

"Too crowded" simply means that as the city grows it becomes harder to keep it happy. You simply get one point of it for each point of population in the city. It has to be compensated for with happiness resources, religion, buildings, military police or whatever. There's no way to effect it itself short of deliberately shrinking your own cities which will do you more harm than good. Cottages are nothing to do with crowdedness or happiness, they are related to commerce.

The reason your food supply dropped to zero was you had some excess unhappy people who refused to work and produce anything, but were still consuming food. There is no real point in growing a city if the extra people will be unhappy as they won't produce anything.

thanks...

any certain buildings you recommend for cities that im having this issue in?

Happiness can be improved by building, among other things, temples, coliseums, and theatres. Some of these depend on culture rate (eg. theatre +1 :) for every 10% :culture:), and by connecting resources (eg. theatre +1 :) if you have dye).

_alphaBeta_ said:
Is there anyway to tell if your submarine's stealth has been compromised? Do you (and the AI) see subs with destroyers during peacetime?
You should be able the ship that compromised your sub, since they both have the same visability.

I'm curious about damage in this game. I've read that damaged units are not able to attack as well. Is it the damage the unit can do that is reduced in damaged units? Or is the chance of doing damage on the "attack rolls"? Or is it both? On other threads I've seen screenshots of combat logs where 2 units duke it out, but as they get damaged, the damage they do to their opponent is still the same. I was wondering if their chance of hitting went down as they got damaged in the exchange? Or if a unit attacks as the strength level it had going into the fight all throughout the fight. Then once that fight is over, the damaged ones have the reduced ability should they get in another battle?

Over Ocean Trade Routes

Do both civs need optics (or astromony) to establish the over ocean trade routes? Or just my civ?

Or will the trade routes be established if the AI has it?

In Civ3 the enter key was enabled so I could use it rather than the mouse in the Research screen etc. Is this possible in Civ 4?

Over Ocean Trade Routes

Do both civs need optics (or astromony) to establish the over ocean trade routes? Or just my civ?

Or will the trade routes be established if the AI has it?

Careful you don't confuse diplomatic trades and trade routes as they are very different. You can make diplomatic trades (e.g. for resources) with another civ if either of you has astronomy (not optics). Either civ can initiate the deal as long as one of you has the tech.

The trade routes in your cities won't be formed unless you have astronomy. Trade routes are basically one directional, and just because another civ has a trade route with you doesn't mean you have a trade route with them. If another civ has astronomy and you don't, their cities may have trade routes with yours, but yours won't have any with theirs, so you get no commerce benefit.

Question regarding the +1 health from wheat, pigs, etc.

My empire has 1 wheat, and it is connected to every city in my empire. The wheat is within the fat cross of a city

#1: Will every city that has a granary benefit from the +1 health or is the bonus just related to the the city that possesses it in the fat cross?

#2: For similar resources within my cultural boundaries, but outside of any city's fat cross, will I get the +1 health bonus if I improve that tile (and connect it to my empire) and build the appropriate city building?

1)Each of your cities that is connected to your trade network will get +1 health from the wheat once it is improved and connected to your trade network. Each city that has a granary will get an additional +1 health from the wheat.

2)As long as the wheat is connected, improved and within your cultural borders it will give the health bonus, even if it is not within the fat cross of a city.

Hello for the jillionth time. :)

What does cottage spamming accomplish? Is it just an economy boost to your empire?

Thanks again!

Dave

Well, cottage-spamming provides extra commerce, which means a better economy, ie. more gold. But since commerce also determines research (depending on what percentage of commerce is spent on :science:), lots of worked cottages also improves research time.

Cottages can also be set up for enemies to pillage, delaying their advance toward your cities.

Will the AI pillage improvements that are not in the fat cross of the city?

Lets say you have 4 tiles between the edge of the city and your cultural border. Can you develop those tiles in the hope that the AI will waste time pillaging them to give you time to mount an offensive?

Sometimes they will, yes.

Occasionall your culture pushes the borders of another civ, taking away some of their pre-developed city tiles. When at war, that civ will often pillage those tiles they originally improved. This even happens when your nearest city is getting no benefit at all from those tiles.

scienide09 said:
Well, cottage-spamming provides extra commerce, which means a better economy, ie. more gold. But since commerce also determines research (depending on what percentage of commerce is spent on :science:), lots of worked cottages also improves research time.

Cottages can also be set up for enemies to pillage, delaying their advance toward your cities.

Thank you for the very quick help. I like having a tech lead, so methinks it is time to start a new game and start building some cottages. :)

Dave

Top Bottom