Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Hello guys, although I am not a beginner about playing Civilization 4, I was long absent from the game and yesterday I just started a new game. Feels good to be back BUT there is one thing that annoys me as hell and I would like to ask if anyone has a solution for this. I've tried to search in this forum but didn't found anything and I think this problem is too "small" to create a new thread for this so here I go:

I was playing a game with a few different victory conditions (destroy all other civilizations, build spaceship, be voted for the UN). After some military campaigns I've destroyed all the other enemy civilizations and won the game. Despite the fact that I am just in the year 1450 AD (marathon game), I would like to keep constructing my empire. Civilization 4 allows you to keep playing a won game but on the bottom of my screen there is now this annoying message in white letters saying "CSDanger won the game in the category conquering!!!!"

So far so good but: How the hell do I shut down this annoying message because it does not vanish by itself (played a few more rounds to be sure)? Is there any way to shut it down? It annoys me very much, so if anyone knows a solution to this, I would be happy to read about it. It ruins any fun I would like to have in continuing playing my recent game. Thanks for any helpout!

@CSDanger: strictly speaking, you can't get rid of this message. But if you are ready for a little bit of modding, there is a little trick that you can use.

Locate the text file Sid Meier's Civilization 4\Assets\XML\Text\CIV4GameText_Misc1.xml (or similar path). Note that this is a vanilla file, not a BtS one (BtS still reads this file).

Make a backup copy of the file before editing it with a simple text editor (TextWrangler if you're on a Mac). Near the top of the file, locate this:
Code:
	<TEXT>
		<Tag>TXT_KEY_GAME_WON</Tag>
		<English>%s1 has won a %s2 Victory!!!</English>
		<French>%s1 a remporté la victoire (%s2) !!!</French>
		<German>%s1 hat den Sieg in der Kategorie %s2 erzielt!!!</German>
		<Italian>%s1 ha ottenuto una vittoria %s2!!!</Italian>
		<Spanish>¡%s1 ha conseguido una victoria %s2!</Spanish>
	</TEXT>
Empty the language in which you're playing by just leaving a single space between the tags instead of the text. The "text" will still appear in-game but - as a single space - it shouldn't bother you so much!... :D

Hello isenchine thank you very much for the help, I will give it a try! :)

I have another question about this matter, so maybe this way around might also "fix" this problem:

What if I start a new game but turn all the victory conditions off, so there is actually no real way to win this game? And if I would do so then what if I get to the year 2020 AD when Civilization 4 normally sais the game is finally over? Would a text message still appear, besides the fact that I have turned all the victory conditions off? And would my game still get into the highscores, although there was no victory condition to achieve? It never happened to me like this before because I always play marathon games and normally I achieve victory already before the very last year (mostly by conquering all the other civilizations). :ninja:

CSDanger:

I can't answer most of your question but the game ending in 2020 is the Time victory. If you turn that off, you can continue to play for many more years, centuries, or millennia, if that appeals to you and you have the patience. I suspect that if you turn off all victories, including Time, then your game won't make it into the high scores, since it will never end except by you quitting.

Hey s.bernbaum and thank you for your response!

Yeah, I was thinking this already too. I would give it a try but that would take a huge amount of hours to finally find out. :) And I am still continuing my recent game, which I already have won.

Unfortunately the tip from isenchine didn't worked, although I've deleted the text and kept one open space between these brackets like this: > < but the text was still in the game (yes I've saved and all). But anyway, I've played today for an hour now again and somehow the text doesn't bother me anymore and luckily the text does not appear on your screen when you have opened a city menu. So I am already fine with it (time heals all the wounds) and enjoying Civ 4 again, while wondering why I haven't restarted playing it earlier. But thanks again to both of you! :goodjob:

Well it might be that I didn't get the right text - I didn't test it.

But first, you have to exit the game and reload it to see the change. If it still doesn't work, you need to make sure that the old file is not cached in the memory of your computer. Clear the cache in the My Documents folder or hold the Shift Key while loading the game.

It it still doesn't work, maybe you're playing a mod that has copied this entry into its text files... :confused:

Hmmm, cached memory could do the trick, maybe later I will give it a try. Thanks again! :)

Edit: I've tried to look and found the text file but there is no data inside. I think this may be the right one but if this would be a cache ordner, shouldn't the date be the actual one? Because it still shows october 2015 (not sure about the month but the year is the right one). So I am afraid that I might do a wrong move if I try to delete this one. :undecide:

And no isenchine, there is no mod installed. ;) I play the "Ultimate Edition" of Civilization 4, you know the package with Civilization 4 and both of its addons Warlords and Beyond the Sword. And my current game is played with the main game, not with the addons. No mods and no fanpatches. Everything clean as it has been given to the people from Firaxis. :D

The "My Documents" area (or similar) is not where the game is installed and all files there are deletable. When you launch the game, it will just re-create there whatever ini file and empty folders it wants.

I see, thanks again!

By the way, here are two more questions which I was always wondering about:

How to lower (or raise? I'm not sure what is right) the cheap rate (I hope I've translated it right) as well as to raise the lifespan of the people in my empire? When I look at the statistics I am always on the lowest place, no matter how good I play and no matter what I build etc. while at all the other statistics I am mostly number 1. :confused:

Is "cheap rate" the bottom one on the screen? Imports/exports?
"Lifespan" is how much excess :health: you have. Improve it by getting more :health: resources/buildings, and decrease :yuck: (e.g. by building recycling centres, trading away oil, or by whipping away population). Being number 1 in this isn't important.

Linky to demographics strategy article.

Hey pob,

no, it is the one between "population" and "lifespan". I guess, following the link you have given, it must be approval rate. They have called it "Billigungsrate" in my German mother tongue, which is kind of weird if it is really a statistic about happy and unhappy faces in your empire. But well, at least the German translation is not as weird as it was in Civilization 2, which I've played before going to Civilization 4. :D

Anyway, thank you very much for explaining the lifespan as well as giving the helpful link! :)

But well, at least the German translation is not as weird as it was in Civilization 2, which I've played before going to Civilization 4. :D

Civ2 had weirder stuff than translating "(military) power" with "Elektrizität"? :eek:

Civ2 had weirder stuff than translating "(military) power" with "Elektrizität"? :eek:

Yes, you are right! In Civilization 2 I always loved if another Civilization was threatening me with violence if I don't give them a technology, because then you always were allowed to tell them: "Folgen? Ist doch Wurst!" :goodjob:

I play on Immortal, and just today, after several years of playing Civ4, I discovered (by loosing a game) Chariots receive 100% strength bonus vs. Axemen only when they are attacking them, not in defense.

Is it the same with all other mounted units, tanks...?

Honestly Axemen are ridiculously overpowered, Chariots or no. Imo they should only have a 25% bonus vs. Melee and Spearmen should cost 30 hammers instead of 35. That way maybe someone somewhere might actually use Swordsmen against anything other than barb cities with two Archers in them.

What's the formula for civic upkeep? The tool tips only say no upkeep, low, medium or high upkeep. Is there a set formula so I can predict costs? Do civics thay have the same upkeep cost (eg vassalage and police state) cost the same?

Regards

I have had Civ Gold Edition forever and really have never played it other than in short stints. I just decided to give it a try again. Question: is there any way to run the game in 1920x1080 resolution without the graphics appearing stretched out?

System:
Win7 64
Radeon HD 7850 (amd driver 13.251.0.0) *I don't have latest driver they conflict with another game I play
23" Dell IPS monitor

Currently running it at screen resolution 1360x1024, its OK but I now it can be better.

Top Bottom