Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

I play at Regent so this may not translate :lol: I have often built a city on foreign lands, built a harbour that connects to a road (to a capitol) and gifted that to an AI. it does work. Sometimes I have only found a single, coastal tile to build on but it works.

In the game I'm playing at the moment (Aztecs, Emperor, Small Pangaea), after a longish campaign (I DoW'd) to liberate the southeastern coastline from Shaka's grasp, I finally captured Bapedi, and the SoZ. I've now had it fully under my control for 35T or so, and still haven't had a single ACav out of it.
Spoiler :
Having captured Bapedi, it took me 4 or 5T to stabilise the town, which had Pop5, all resisting, none of whom were quelled by my victorious troops during the first IBT. Since I was still at war and intending to move on Zimbabwe shortly, I didn't want to risk losing my Armies and units in the immediate vicinity to garrison-duty (or a flip). I also wanted to found a farm between Bapedi and Zimbabwe for some Cultural insulation and to grab some Wines for trade purposes (actually my primary aim of the war), before making peace with Shaka to give my citizens some WW-recovery time.

As you might expect, Bapedi back-flipped just as my troops reached Zimbabwe's walls. I immediately recaptured it, but since it was now down to Pop3, my Wine-farm was up and running, and I now had more single-units available (moving up from the southeastern conquests), I garrisoned enough strength to quell the resistance in 1T, then enslaved the population down to the last citizen and added a Settler for an instant majority (it's now back up to Pop6).

While I was waiting for Bapedi to stabilise, I was also involved in a pair of wars on my western border (now also temporarily ended). I had DoW'd the Sumerians at about the same time as the Zulus, and then the Incas had attacked me out of the blue (going through the Hittites' and the Sumerians' lands to get to me), so WW was becoming a real problem (I'm running a Republic, with only one Lux on my turf).

Having bought the Hittites and Byzzies into MAs vs. the Incas, I did an MA-PT deal with Shaka (extorted Engineering as well) in the hope that he would then break it by signing peace with one or both of them, giving me a cassus belli and WH. But he didn't co-operate: instead he let the deal run for the full 20T and then asked to renew just the PT. Because I wasn't quite ready to DoW him again at that point, I agreed (but he won't be so lucky in 3T time, when the second PT expires...).

Initially, my other wars distracted me from the fact that I hadn't got any ACavs out of Bapedi. When I noticed, my first thought was that it was because the town was resisting; when quelling the resistance didn't make any difference, I thought maybe it was because the town still had a Zulu majority. But changing that didn't make any difference either. And I'm still a couple of techs away from learning Metallurgy, so the SoZ isn't obsolete (for me, anyway).

When I realised that I wasn't getting any free ACavs at all, I went full-bore for Chivalry. I've had that for about 15T, ran 0% SCI% to upgrade all my Horses, and have also been building Knights in all my cities (I stole SunTzu from Gil). So the lack of ACavs hasn't made (much of) a difference to my gameplan, but still, if I'd already had some in hand (and more on the way) 20T back, I would have felt much better about moving against the Zulus then, instead of waiting.
I already knew that in C3C, a captured GWonder gives no Culture-points to the capturing-civ -- but it would appear that any 'free-unit' benefit also only applies to the civ which builds the Wonder. Can anyone confirm that, or am I missing something?

Can anyone confirm that, or am I missing something?

SoZ needs ivory to produce AC. It is that simple.

..., I garrisoned enough strength to quell the resistance in 1T, then enslaved the population down to the last citizen and added a Settler for an instant majority

Unless your government is facist having a majority is of no importance. Only the absolute amounts of citizens counts. Also the WLTKD helps against flips.

SoZ needs ivory to produce AC. It is that simple.
Aha! I did know that Ivory was needed to build the SoZ, I did not know that it was needed to produce ACavs as well. I did wonder -- briefly -- if that was the problem, but the Civiliopedia entry for ACavs does not list Ivory as a required resource (I checked), nor is this information noted in any obvious places in CFC.

That's why I was so puzzled, because I was 99% certain that I'd got a couple of ACavs from a captured Indian SoZ in a game last year -- but I must have got the Indian's Ivory at the same time. The Zulu Ivory is near Ulundi(?), to the north of Zimbabwe, so it should soon be mine -- and then the Summies, Byzzies (they built the GLib), Hittites, and Incas better watch out...

The problem will be that SoZ will be obsolete soon if tech progresses fast. If you can build 10 real Cavalry in 5 turns, than the earlier 1 AC in 5 turns will make little difference. Not having ivory when needed might have robbed you of the better part of (potential) ACs.

But he still prevented the Zulus from coming at him with Ancient Cavalry protected by Impis, so good job to him. :thumbsup:

But he still prevented the Zulus from coming at him with Ancient Cavalry protected by Impis, so good job to him. :thumbsup:
Yes Takhisis is correct. Now the Zulu won't bring any Ancient Cavalry having 5 hit points as veteran. Good.

I am always surprised by how surprised I am at new instances of people playing Civ on munchkin mode. :rotfl:
BTW may I know what's munchkin mode. Thanks.

A munchkin is someone who takes Min-Maxing to the extreme. Be careful, because the term is often used derogatorily and some people are really touchy.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Conducting warfare is not usually a problem in my games: besides, I had Iron and Horses, and the Zulus did/do not.

My initial major problem in this game was that I (think I) rolled a 3-bn year world (random-everything except Size and Diff, haven't checked the settings in CAII). The Zulus' territory was shielded behind a massive range of Mountains and Hills, preventing me from founding towns in that direction until I'd amassed sufficient forces for power-projection beyond the highlands.

Shaka is on the way to history's dustheap now, though -- Zimbabwe has just fallen, and Ulundi (and its Ivory) should also be mine in 1-2T. I am still 4 techs from MilTrad, which can take me as long or short a time as I choose (even without doing much trading, I have a fair amount of gold banked for deficit-research, and my Zululand farms will be coming online soon). Some ACavs will not make much of a diffierence to the game outcome at this point, but will still be right handy for protecting those farms from incoming Zulu Maces and LBMs, while I take out their few remaining cities with my Mace-Army (hopefully soon to be pluralised!).

That way, I'll be able to send the bulk of my Knights against the Summies (who built the GWall, but have no Horses, or Gunpowder -- that war is due to start in 1-2T as well), and then the Byzzies (who have the GLib but no Iron or Horses). Taking the GLib will I hope bring me up to speed on tech (albeit cancelling the SoZ), and should allow me to upgrade/build Cavs. Taking the Hitties should then not be too difficult. And once they're gone, fighting the Incas will be almost anticlimatic (their territory sucks -- also full of Mountains -- and I think my erstwhile allies carried on fighting them for a long time after I'd made peace).

It won't be an elegant or opimised game in the slightest, but right now I'm just aiming at winning at Emp, not getting into the HoF.

Wish me luck...

A munchkin is someone who takes Min-Maxing to the extreme. Be careful, because the term is often used derogatorily and some people are really touchy.
OK Thanks a lot Takhisis.

After not playing for too long I had apparently lost my touch and got into sticky situation

Map: Standard Pangea 80%, 3 AI: Persia, Celts, Zulu (on an island), Monarch, Year 1480.
Persia and Celts have MPP and RoP but only Persia is at war with me.

Me (Portugal) and my enemy (Persia) are in early industrial (have rifles and cavs but no infantry and artillery) Persia RoP raped me with a stack of 12 something rifles and 20 immortals and longbows with additional rifles roaming at my core. I have 2 AC armies and 1 cav army for which I had used all my gold and some knights to rush in the military academy, also have a few cannons and replaceable parts is 7 turns away.

What to do? Hope that my 16 cavs , 16 MDI and the armies will break that stack or hope for defensive battle by moving rifles (I have only 6 or so) via rail to the city they will probably attack (and hope for the best), That city have my FP and only Saltpeter source.

After not playing for too long I had apparently lost my touch and got into sticky situation

Map: Standard Pangea 80%, 3 AI: Persia, Celts, Zulu (on an island), Monarch, Year 1480.
Persia and Celts have MPP and RoP but only Persia is at war with me.

Me (Portugal) and my enemy (Persia) are in early industrial (have rifles and cavs but no infantry and artillery) Persia RoP raped me with a stack of 12 something rifles and 20 immortals and longbows with additional rifles roaming at my core. I have 2 AC armies and 1 cav army for which I had used all my gold and some knights to rush in the military academy, also have a few cannons and replaceable parts is 7 turns away.

What to do? Hope that my 16 cavs , 16 MDI and the armies will break that stack or hope for defensive battle by moving rifles (I have only 6 or so) via rail to the city they will probably attack (and hope for the best), That city have my FP and only Saltpeter source.
A savegame would be really helpful here.

First and most important thing to remember: the AI is dumb. It will move its units to attack the weakest target it can see (on the whole map), even if it can't get there this turn. So heavily fortifying one city will just encourage it to move/attack something softer -- unprotected Workers, lone/ weakened units, un(der)defended cities. When you've been caught on the hop, and especially when your unit-numbers are (too) low, you can actually use that to your advantage, with the 'bait-city' tactic. But you do NOT want their units all attacking a single target, in those numbers, because you can't rely on winning defensive battles to hold your cities -- all that will achieve is attrition of your units without inflicting significant losses on the Persians.

You need to take the fight to them: within your own borders -- and especially if your rail-network is complete -- you have the advantage of mobility, so use it. You also have one other major advantage -- from your description, the Persian do not appear to have Cavs or Knights! If they did, then you would also have a stack of those on your turf already -- which suggests that they don't have Horses. If that's the case, then you want to keep it that way, e.g by signing Embargos with the Zulus and/or Celts. Even better would be bringing them in as allies, and disrupting the Persians' international relations/ trade -- so can you get an MPP with Brennus as well? If so, do it (whatever it costs) -- the presence of Persian troops already inside your borders and attacking your troops/ cities/ infrastructure will instantly bring the Celts into the war on your side, breaking their MPP (and any other deals). And once you've blunted the Persian invasion (they've probably thrown all their free units at you), you'll be able to take the war back across their borders (if you so choose) without fear of a Celtic reprisal. Signing an MPP with Shaka is not necessary, since he can't help you fight the Persians, but if you can get him to sign an MA vs Xerxes, again to break any trade deals they have running, that might be helpful.

Regarding immediate defence: If you have rails, and especially if your unit-numbers are limited, yes, move the majority (possibly all) of your units to those cities which the Persian stack(s) can reach in 1T (i.e. within 1 tile for foot-units) -- you can safely empty the garrisons of any cities that aren't in immediate danger of attack. Doing so may actually encourage the Persians to (split their stacks and) move towards the un(der)defended cities, instead of attacking the defended ones, so you may be able to harass those smaller stack(s) and chisel them down bit by bit, using fast units to minimise losses, as you build up your own forces.

Rifles, Immortals and LBMs are all A=4, M=1 units, so don't have a high win-probability vs. fortified D=6 Rifles, especially those on defensive-bonus tiles (Hills, across Rivers), and/or in cities (Pop7+), and/or backed up by bombard-units. So your cities are probably mostly safe, for the moment -- but your resource-tiles aren't. So you can (and should) ping away at those foot-units with your Cannons, and harass them with your faster Armies and Cavs, to encourage them to leave. Damaged units will usually fortify in place if they can't hide under a healthy defender. Redlined units will usually run directly for the nearest friendly/neutral territory to heal. For the most part, you should let them go -- you'll have another chance to kill them in a couple of turns' time, when they return to the fray -- by which time you'll have built more units yourself.

You can maybe use your ACav-Armies to knock off redlined low-D units, but resist the temptation to chase them all the way to the border. And especially while your unit numbers are still low, do NOT use M=1 attack-units to chase lone redlined units without a very good reason. Even if your guy wins that fight, he will be left exposed, and (if there's a healthy enemy attacker within striking distance) will almost certainly get attacked and killed on the following interturn.

Which brings me to the next thing: unit numbers. You have Nationalism, which means that you can Draft, and you can Mobilise. These are both 'emergency response' measures, but if your strength is really that low vs the Persians, then I would argue that this is an emergency. Yes, drafting will cause unhappiness (1 citizen per draftee, for 20T), but losing your cities/units will cause much more. So draft at least one cRifle in each city (assuming you're running a Republic?) -- and possibly a second Rifle per city next turn -- and move them to/ fortify them in the most endangered cities. Use Luxes+Markets, and the LUX-slider (50% if necessary!) to keep your citizens happy.

Mobilisation will double shield-output in all (uncorrupted) cities, but Mobilised shields can only be used for building mil-units (A/D >1) and mil-improvements (Walls, Barracks, Harbours, etc.), so use that to churn out vCavs from high-SPT Barracks-cities, rRifles from non-Barracks cities (regular units defending cities/ stacks can fight more battles per turn than attackers, so -- if they survive the onslaught -- tend to get promoted to vet/ elite quicker), and Maces+Cannon from smaller/corrupt cities. Try to juggle tile-usage amongst those cities to give efficient shield-numbers if possible, allowing you to build fast with minimal wastage (e.g. to build Cavs+Rifles in 4, 3 or 2T, aim for 20, 27 or 40 SPT).

Once you get RepParts, upgrading those Rifles to Infs is cheap (30g per unit, 15g if you have Leo's): Infs can attack D=1-2 units just as well as Cavs, and defend much better against A=4 units, which should (also) get you some promotions. (Yes, Infs are slow and can't retreat, but while they're still on your own rails, that's less important). Upgrading Cannon is expensive (120g/60g per unit), but you can also disband them into Arty-builds for 10s per disbanded-Cannon.

However, the increased unit-numbers are going to eat into your budget, so depending on the health of your economy, you may need to slow down/stop your research for a couple of turns. While RepParts is a fantastic tech, this war may be decided before you get it, unless you can significantly drop the turns-to-complete, e.g. by
  • Running a deficit
  • Signing Lux-import deals with the Celts/Zulus to boost your Market-happiness, allowing you to sell unneeded Temples/ Cathedrals/ Colosseums (gives you immediate gold and saves maintenance-GPT => more gold for lux/science)
  • Switching Clowns/Taxmen to Geeks in corrupt '1-shield' cities (for more beakers per turn)
  • Building Science-multiplier buildings in high-commerce cities (won't be possible if you Mobilise)
And if you haven't already, try to raise your free-unit upkeep, e.g. get all your core- and semi-core cities to at least Pop7 (e.g. if you still have native Workers and Pop6 towns, joining 1 Worker to each town will both reduce your unit-count and increase your unit-allowance) or start building '1-shield' farms in the corrupt corners of your continent.

Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, it worked.

AC armies removed all enemy Cavs and the main stack was baited long enough to whittle it down with cannons and cav army. Strangely any injured rifle took another unit with it to it's long trek home :) . When they attacked a core city they had only half the amount of units and it held. Drafted rifles were in handy at that and mobilization also. Lost 2 cities, gained 2 cities in summary of that war and I swear I won't be caught unprepared again.

First and most important thing to remember: the AI is dumb.

This is something every player of Civ3 should learn early. :) :(

In general your posting is great advise, but some things need clarification.

Mobilisation will double shield-output in all (uncorrupted) cities, but Mobilised shields can only be used for building mil-units (A/D >1) and mil-improvements (Walls, Barracks, Harbours, etc.),

That is not how it works. The production bonus is 1 shield per tile if the tile is already producing at least 1 shield. It is like a golden age for shields only. The bonus only applies to units with attack value. So bombers, armies, artillery and any building will get no bonus whatsoever. You can however exploit this by using attack units to get the bonus and than switch to the real target in the last turn of production.

Also it is possible to use the last turns before a peace treaty to use battleships as prebuilds for commerce harbours or factories. The mobilisation time itself is great opportunity to build up a navy from the scratch. Coastal cities often lack production while having more options to use it for improvements like commerce harbours. Delaying to spend scare shield into a navy till the last moment can be convenient.

but you can also disband them into Arty-builds for 10s per disbanded-Cannon.

Disbanding units for units is usually not the best way to go. Disbanding units into courthouses, aqueducts, markets, libraries and hospitals is an excellent choice to get underdeveloped cities up to specs. Freshly conquered cities may need this.

And the second thing every civ player should learn is that the AI is a cheating bastard.

And the second thing every civ player should learn is that the AI is a cheating bastard.
May I know how is AI a cheating bastard.

The so-called 'difficulty levels' are never achieved through the AI getting smarter. They're achieved by that |@#!"·ing scum of a cheat being given perks and you being given, say, more and more unhappy citizens.

Top Bottom