Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Oni Ryuu... there are other sites where you can Upload your MOD but as far as I know, no one can directly Upload their MOD here at Civfanatics. I would like this changed, although I do understand that if allowed, it would require a Great Deal of Storage space.

... If you can pay for it, you can get much more space for storage on many sites such as Dropbox. I believe Dropbox allows 1 GB Free, so that is enough to cover your MOD anyway but would not allow you the space to Upload much more.
Currently, My MOD is being sponsored by civforum.de in Germany. They were Kind to do this for me when the "Storm Over Civilization" site closed. My MOD is only 357 MB unzipped and I would like the ability to Upload it here zipped, which would be much smaller but if I was allowed to do this others would probably state it unfair and create a problem. I would like it if it could be "Grandfathered in" as it was Uploaded here several times from the beginning and it is not a large MOD by today standards.

In any case, there are many ways to Upload your MOD on other Storage Sites then place the Links here.
I am certain that things will continue to be adjusted and improved here as Civfanatics continues. Good Luck with your MOD and creative endeavors :)

Two Quick Questions:

1. For those of you that have been playing Teturkan's Test of time mod do the Iroquois have the ability to build ships? been playing this mod for years and first time I am playing as the Iroquois.

2. Is there a Teturkan test of time mod for Civ 5? or something close to it?

Oni Ryuu... there are other sites where you can Upload your MOD but as far as I know, no one can directly Upload their MOD here at Civfanatics. I would like this changed, although I do understand that if allowed, it would require a Great Deal of Storage space.

... If you can pay for it, you can get much more space for storage on many sites such as Dropbox. I believe Dropbox allows 1 GB Free, so that is enough to cover your MOD anyway but would not allow you the space to Upload much more.
Currently, My MOD is being sponsored by civforum.de in Germany. They were Kind to do this for me when the "Storm Over Civilization" site closed. My MOD is only 357 MB unzipped and I would like the ability to Upload it here zipped, which would be much smaller but if I was allowed to do this others would probably state it unfair and create a problem. I would like it if it could be "Grandfathered in" as it was Uploaded here several times from the beginning and it is not a large MOD by today standards.

In any case, there are many ways to Upload your MOD on other Storage Sites then place the Links here.
I am certain that things will continue to be adjusted and improved here as Civfanatics continues. Good Luck with your MOD and creative endeavors :)

It is possible to upload directly to CFC, if the size is within the limitations. To start the process, click on the Downloads link at the top, and then click the Add Resource button in the upper-right (below the search bar).

Back in the day, the limit was 10 MB. IIRC, that increased to 20 MB sometime last year. Playing around with things, it seems it may now be 25 MB - I could upload a 24 MB file, but not a 47 MB file. It could be somewhere in between too though, as I wasn't able to find the limit stated anywhere on XenForo. So perhaps 30 MB or 40 MB - but at least 25.

That's still pretty small as a lot of the more intricate mods go, though it's sufficient for a lot of components of mods such as units, terrain/city graphics, etc. So if you need more, an external site is required. I do highly recommend uploading to at least two external sites (another example would be Mega), as that way if the primary one ever goes down like AtomicGamer did last year, your mod is still accessible.

Thanks Quintillus.

My test upload was a WWIV mod “Phoenix from Nuclear Ash’s”. I’ll revisit this when my full history mod is complete. I still have a number of units to be made. Existing designers don’t seem interested so I may need to do them myself. I’m imagining that’s not going to be easy or quick.

I’ll keep in mind Vuldacon’s recommendation of Dropbox and yours for Mega.

Do you think it’s reasonable to upload my game with placeholders in the hope that a unit designer will like the game enough to make the units retroactively? My thinking is that I wouldn’t download an unfinished game no matter how much it assured me that it’s playable.

Are you using a NoCD patch (which is not itself named 'civilization3.exe' or 'conquests.exe') to run whichever version of Civ3 you're playing?
Yes ... it's called "Civilization 3 No CD.exe" Vanilla, version 1.29f.

My under-educated guess is that the official NoCD patch(es) somehow renders the activity of the actual game executables invisible to CAII, but I've no idea how to fix that.
That's what I was afraid of, and was working on that assumption.

Or rather play Civ3 on a WinXP machine (if you still have one available).
I don't. My oldest machine is my laptop, which has Windows 7. Both my home desktop & work desktop have Windows 10.

Three questions that have come up:

1) I've never built a fortress, because I'm unclear: what do they actually do? The Civilopedia doesn't explain it well, IMO.

2) What happens when you disband a unit? I cannot find this anywhere.

3) Are courthouses really worth it? It seems like they are more of a drain once built. I haven't been building them near the capital, only in more remote cities, but even in a democracy the thing seems to reduce my gold intake per turn rather than increase it, which it seems it should do. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

@WeirdoJoker Regarding CAII, here are some relevant posts from myself and @tjs282 here, here, and here.
1) I've never built a fortress, because I'm unclear: what do they actually do?
  1. Units stationed on fortresses get a 50% defensive bonus if attacked.
  2. They also have a ZoC and fire at passing enemy units.
2) What happens when you disband a unit?
You receive 1/4 the cost of the unit in shields, rounded down.
3) Are courthouses really worth it?
I'll leave that one up to better players than me to debate the benefits like @justanick or @tjs282 :lol:

Courts can be useful. You would want to look at the point in time your are in the game and the gross shields in that town. It is not very useful in a town that is so corrupt that you cannot gain more than 1 shield. Is the town still growing and has 50% corruptions and will that corruption get worse from adding a lot more towns. Will that town be able to build the CH quick enough to pay you back by constructing something or making units? Your form of government will have an impact as well.

In most things civ, it depends. In the main, structures are on a case by case basis, especially after the core towns. Shields are not the only factor as beakers may be your goal, rather than shields. If you have libs, it may pay. If it needs 1 beaker at the cost of the maint, it is not a good value. If it adds more beakers than its maint, it is a value.

@WeirdoJoker Regarding CAII, here are some relevant posts from myself and @tjs282 here, here, and here.
The CAII thread is here. Given that many Civ3 players will now have been forced to apply NoCD patches, you are unlikely to be the only person facing this problem, so I would strongly recommend reporting it in that thread. Ainwood is definitely still active: he posted a new version of CA II -- compatible with Win10 -- a couple of days ago.
You receive 1/4 the cost of the unit in shields, rounded down.
Should add -- you only get those shields if you disband inside one of your cities, so long as that city is not building a Wonder at the time. This is actually a good way of getting Courthouses up quickly in outlying cities: build Cavs in the core, disband them on the fringes (4 disbanded Cavs = 4 x 20s = 1 Courthouse)
I'll leave that one up to better players than me to debate the benefits like @justanick or @tjs282 :lol:
Fixed that for you -- Justanick's definitely the man to ask about this ;) He would certainly recommend building CHs everywhere, at least in Conquests, where (if I understood him right) the more decorrupting buildings you have, the less corruption there is over your entire empire. Under Vanilla, the corruption model's different, and the max. corruption in outer-fringe towns is 95% rather than 90%, so max-corrupt fringe towns in Vanilla may not benefit from CHs so much/at all.

My rule of thumb is to start building CHs (and later Police Stations) in towns that have wastage >30% (usually somewhere in the first ring, on a Small/Standard map). Towns that are >50% corrupt will build a CH (if possible) before they do anything else. Once my core and semi-core are doing OK, I'll gradually work outwards from there, stopping once the most recently-built outer CH doesn't give me any noticeable improvement in shield/trade output from that town (and any other CH-builds in progress a similar distance from the capital will also be switched to something else).

Like vmxa says, though -- if the CH doesn't improve a town's income sufficiently to at least cover its own maintenance-cost (1 GPT), it will certainly be a net drain on your total income. And a town can only produce gold (from trade) if your slider-settings are actually producing some %TAX-income: if SCI% + LUX% = 100%, none of your towns will produce any gold, and even at SCI% + LUX% = 80-90% (i.e. TAX=10-20%), your smaller (fringe) towns may not produce any gold either, due to rounding.

Last edited:
The CAII thread is here.
That's the d/l page the thread is here. Looks like it's not integrated with the thread.
-- compatible with Win10 -- a couple of days ago.
I tried it a couple weeks ago, the day ainwood uploaded it, and it wouldn't install and gave me an error (don't remember what the error was though). The older version still works fine on my Win10 system anyways.
Should add -- you only get those shields if you disband inside one of your cities, so long as that city is not building a Wonder at the time.
:mischief: Whoops forgot to mention that. I've been playing too much CiVI where you can disband a unit anywhere on the map and get gold back. Quite handy if you have a unit about to be red-lined. :lol:

3) Are courthouses really worth it?

Very much so. Aqueducts and courthouses are the 2 buildings that i actually consider to rush with gold. They help to get the production of your cities to levels that allows them to build the remaining essentials by regular means. Usually you have your investment into Courthouses back within say 20 turns. For this to be true you do need those cities to be not very small, they better actually be cities(size 7+), also at very low corruption the effect is less pronounced.

Small anti corruption buildings(CH and police station) have the effect of reducing distance corruption by 50%. As a democarcy you already get a 25% discount on that corruption type, so this effect from courthouses will be 25% smaller aswell. Another effect is that rank corruption is reduced, which is very pronounced when corruption is in the range 50% to slightly below 90%. Also maximum corruption is reduced by 10% each, so CH will reduce maximum corruption from 90% to 80%, CH and PS will reduce it to 70%. Maximum corruption is an upper limit that cannot be exceeded, it implies that production cannot fall below 1.

Fixed that for you -- Justanick's definitely the man to ask about this ;) He would certainly recommend building CHs everywhere, at least in Conquests, where (if I understood him right) the more decorrupting buildings you have, the less corruption there is over your entire empire.

If you mean to imply that corruption in city A depends on a courthouse in city B, than you are wrong. Small anti corruption buildings only effect their own city.

Corruption in capital is zero, a courthouse cannot change that. Also unless you intend to adopt communism courthouse in cities very close to the capital with less than 15% corruption may not or not soon enough pay off. Hospitals, railraids etc. may influence that so that at least on smaller maps all cities except the capital should have a courthouse in the long run.

In communism all cities but the capital should have a courthouse, that includes that the cities with FP and secret police need a courthouse and better also a police station. City size and 30+% corruption is very good simple indicator that a Courthouse will pay off reasonable soon.

Very much so. Aqueducts and courthouses are the 2 buildings that i actually consider to rush with gold. They help to get the production of your cities to levels that allows them to build the remaining essentials by regular means. Usually you have your investment into Courthouses back within say 20 turns. For this to be true you do need those cities to be not very small, they better actually be cities(size 7+), also at very low corruption the effect is less pronounced.

Small anti corruption buildings(CH and police station) have the effect of reducing distance corruption by 50%. As a democarcy you already get a 25% discount on that corruption type, so this effect from courthouses will be 25% smaller aswell. Another effect is that rank corruption is reduced, which is very pronounced when corruption is in the range 50% to slightly below 90%. Also maximum corruption is reduced by 10% each, so CH will reduce maximum corruption from 90% to 80%, CH and PS will reduce it to 70%. Maximum corruption is an upper limit that cannot be exceeded, it implies that production cannot fall below 1.

If you mean to imply that corruption in city A depends on a courthouse in city B, than you are wrong. Small anti corruption buildings only effect their own city.
Thanks Justanick, for proving my point -- that I don't always know what I'm talking about! :lol:
Corruption in capital is zero, a courthouse cannot change that. Also unless you intend to adopt communism courthouse in cities very close to the capital with less than 15% corruption may not or not soon enough pay off. Hospitals, railraids etc. may influence that so that at least on smaller maps all cities except the capital should have a courthouse in the long run.

In communism all cities but the capital should have a courthouse, that includes that the cities with FP and secret police need a courthouse and better also a police station. City size and 30+% corruption is very good simple indicator that a Courthouse will pay off reasonable soon.
WeirdoJoker's playing Vanilla 1.29 though -- and that corruption model was still applicable to PtW 1.27 as well. So how much difference does that make to where and whether CHs are worth it...? (He certainly won't be able to build the SPHQ...)

I'll be uploading my completed mod probably this weekend. Can I upload it to Civfanatics database or do I need to upload to an external file host? In any case, is it acceptable that I include several mirror download sites just in case?
Thanks

EDIT: Ok my tired eyes read the previous posts. Will try Dropbox and maybe Saberkat too.

Last edited:
if you build a city on a luxury resource does it destroy resource? What happens?

Top Bottom