Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

What matters is activity. You might have only a handful of civs (e.g. EFZI where you start with 5 and then they're whittled down as the story progresses) but if there's a ton of resources and trade routes, plus unit movement and production, then the game still takes a lot between each turn and the next.

That's why scenarios like TAM have options like ‘no barbarians’ or ‘no wolves’.

I haven't had much playing time in quite a while, but I'm wondering ... is there a way to determine the likelihood of getting a SGL in any particular circumstance? I've had games without them, and I had one game where I ended up getting seven. More likely, playing a Scientific civ, I'll get at least one or two (at least, IME).

If you play a scientific civ, then the chance is 5%, else 3%. This only applies when you are the first civ to research a tech.
Thanks. I knew the second part, just not the probabilities. Not a huge change, but almost twice as likely for a Scientific civ than a non-science civ. (My favorites are Sci civs.)

I wouldn't do anything to jeopardise my wonderful 2001(?) XP computer, especially now I have bought dozens of cheap XP compatible games on GoG to last me until the grave! I've only got 2GB RAM and will just have to stick with it.

EDIT: a young computer, just 2004. Also, I don't do anything to do with money or my identity on it. I use other devices for that sort of thing.
I think if you look at the GoG descriptions of those games, you'll see that most of them are Win10 compatible. That seems to be typical.
I'm also still on a desktop that was custom built in 2008, and I just recently upgraded to Win10. I didn't see much of a difference, game-play wise.

One thing that grates on me, as it does many people, is that Win10 requires you to have a Microsoft account. If you don't have one to begin with, it forces you to get one during the Win10 install. Just an FYI for those that don't know.

As far as staying offline with XP when I was still using it over the past almost four years, I was never worried. The antivirus program still updated normally, so I was never worried.

One thing that grates on me, as it does many people, is that Win10 requires you to have a Microsoft account. If you don't have one to begin with, it forces you to get one during the Win10 install.
That is technically not true. I am writing from a Desktop with Windows 10 Professional without such an account and i also have a Laptop with preinstalled Windows 10 Home without such an account. But it is true that Microsoft very much pushes User towards such an account. :(

Has anyone tried allowing cities on mountains? Wondering if it's worth trying...

The Mesoamerican Conquest allows this (which I always forget when I play it, but never mind!), so it can work, and the AI can cope with it.

But in order for such a town to be able to grow to any useful size, espcially on a randomly generated map, you might also need to consider making additional changes to compensate, e.g. increasing raw food-values of Hills (which tend to be more frequent near Mountains), and/or making additional terrain-types irrigable

(The Mesoamerica Conquest increases Jungle food-output to 2F)

You could do with either some sort of terrace graphics or with turning mountainland into pasture. There's already the ‘mine the sheep’ graphics that could be of use.

Playing Byzantines, I crushed the Aztecs. One of the former Aztec cities has some Aztec citizens and some Byzantine. If I create a Settler from that town, will the settler be Aztec or Byzantine? I need to build a town in Incan territory (I need to steal their rubber) and would rather have a Byzantine citizen there than a conquered Aztec one. But if it doesn't make a difference, I won't need to worry about it.

If the number of Byzantine citizens is > 1, it will be Byzantine. Not sure, what will happen, if there is exactly 1 Byzantine citizen. The settler could still be Byzantine, or there could be a roll of the dice?! Only if the population is 100% Aztec, the settler will for sure be Aztec.
(But the real interesting question to explore is: what will happen, if the Aztecs captured a Dutch city earlier, and you now take that city from the Aztecs with a mixed population of Dutch and Aztecs?

Perhaps tRiCkY's article "Save the Mongols" provides some answers to this topic?!

If the number of Byzantine citizens is > 1, it will be Byzantine. Not sure, what will happen, if there is exactly 1 Byzantine citizen. The settler could still be Byzantine, or there could be a roll of the dice?! Only if the population is 100% Aztec, the settler will for sure be Aztec.
(But the real interesting question to explore is: what will happen, if the Aztecs captured a Dutch city earlier, and you now take that city from the Aztecs with a mixed population of Dutch and Aztecs?

Perhaps tRiCkY's article "Save the Mongols" provides some answers to this topic?!
In my experience, yes, the city -- for example, Rotterdam -- would have a mixture of Dutch and Aztec citizens. Depending on how long ago the city changed hands. As I recall, if your (Byzantine) culture is greater than the Aztecs, over some number of turns the foreign citizens will convert to your nationality. If the Aztecs only defeated the Dutch 10 turns ago, one would definitely see Dutch citizens. If Rotterdam has been owned by the Aztecs for 50 turns or more, then the citizens should be all Aztec.

As I recall, if your (Byzantine) culture is greater than the Aztecs, over some number of turns the foreign citizens will convert to your nationality. If the Aztecs only defeated the Dutch 10 turns ago, one would definitely see Dutch citizens. If Rotterdam has been owned by the Aztecs for 50 turns or more, then the citizens should be all Aztec.
This is in contradiction to my understanding of assimilation. Assimilation depends solely on your type of government. As a republic each turn each foreign citizen in your cities has a chance of 2% to convert. Same is true for monarchy an fascism. For communism and democracy the chance is 4%, for feudalism 3% and for despotism and anarchy it is 1%.

@justanick , I stand corrected. The culture comparison doesn't matter.

I would expect the Aztecs to be running Monarchy or Republic, until they learn Fascism. All of those have a 2% assimilation chance per turn. Using Lanzelot's hypothetical scenario, if the Aztecs conquered a Dutch city (size 6, say) 10 turns ago, they might have assimilated 1 pop point to be Aztec. If the Aztecs conquered that same city 50 turns ago, they might have assimilated 2 or 3 pop points.

I have deals with the Inca where I'm currently getting 104 GPT (1 turn left), 24 GPT (14 turns left) and Wines (19 turns left). These were for tech, so I'm not providing anything to them per turn. If I were to hypothetically* DoW on them now, would it spoil my trade rep?

* I need rubber, so I have to go after someone, but I'll probably go after someone closer to home.

I have deals with the Inca where I'm currently getting 104 GPT (1 turn left), 24 GPT (14 turns left) and Wines (19 turns left). These were for tech, so I'm not providing anything to them per turn. If I were to hypothetically* DoW on them now, would it spoil my trade rep?
No, you should be fine in terms of your trading reputation.

* I need rubber, so I have to go after someone, but I'll probably go after someone closer to home.
You can always break a deal by disconnecting from the trade network, although that's far easier to do in earlier eras.

You can always break a deal by disconnecting from the trade network, although that's far easier to do in earlier eras.
This does come at the risk of ruining your trading reputation. A declaration of war is simpler and safer as it usually only involves trades with one nation.

That's why I say it's easier in the earlier eras when you might still have one road to each foreign civ so if you cut a couple of roads you're set.

Top Bottom