Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Takhisis is telling the truth. We ran into the same thing in SparGamez2!

I've already made a thread asking this question, but no one answered so:

I have Civ 3 Complete. I have tried to download mods from Civfanatics using the path Computer/OS/Program Files (x86)/Firaxis Games/Civ III Complete/Conquests/Scenarios. and it tells me that it "Could not create the file Computer/OS/Program Files (x86)/Firaxis Games/Civ III Complete/Conquests/Scenarios/[Whatever I'm extracting]. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong!

What OS do you have?

I did not use Vista, but Win7 uses x86 and older versions did not. That means that the app that unzips the file must run in admin mode to write to x86 folder.

I always run into a HUGE issue with money during the 2nd-3rd ages, It seems that once my country stops growing because of lack of land I get completely screwed over.

Currently I am trying a commercial civ, I believe it's the French. maybe that will help me out.

And I would classify myself as a pretty laid-back player, and I read that the French preferred government is The Republic, does that mean The Republic does something extra or what?

I always run into a HUGE issue with money during the 2nd-3rd ages, It seems that once my country stops growing because of lack of land I get completely screwed over.

Currently I am trying a commercial civ, I believe it's the French. maybe that will help me out.

And I would classify myself as a pretty laid-back player, and I read that the French preferred government is The Republic, does that mean The Republic does something extra or what?

Favored government has little game effect - it has a minor impact on the AI civ's attitude towards you - it is so minor and rare it really doesn't matter. If you are having money problems there are three common causes:

1) Not enough roads - makes sure you road ever tile you are working - thats +1gpt (gold per turn) per round.
2) Too many buildings/not the right buildings - most buildings have maintenance costs, meaning less gpt. If you are building every building in every city, that might be the problem.
3) Your empire is not big enough - you didn't expand aggressively thus not enough land and fewer gpt resources. If you don't have nearly completely corrupt cities on your outer edges of the empire, you probably did not expand fast enough.

Your best bet is to post a save. Start a new thread in the forum and ask for a review. You'll get some really good players to give you a no-bull assessment. Take their advice or not, at least you'll have an answer.

**edit** Forgot to mention - use Republic/Democracy for increased income. Watch unit support costs, thought. That can be a serious gpt drag.

Favored government has little game effect - it has a minor impact on the AI civ's attitude towards you - it is so minor and rare it really doesn't matter. If you are having money problems there are three common causes:

1) Not enough roads - makes sure you road ever tile you are working - thats +1gpt (gold per turn) per round.
2) Too many buildings/not the right buildings - most buildings have maintenance costs, meaning less gpt. If you are building every building in every city, that might be the problem.
3) Your empire is not big enough - you didn't expand aggressively thus not enough land and fewer gpt resources. If you don't have nearly completely corrupt cities on your outer edges of the empire, you probably did not expand fast enough.

Your best bet is to post a save. Start a new thread in the forum and ask for a review. You'll get some really good players to give you a no-bull assessment. Take their advice or not, at least you'll have an answer.

**edit** Forgot to mention - use Republic/Democracy for increased income. Watch unit support costs, thought. That can be a serious gpt drag.

I'll take this into account, and see how I do

Thanks, I'll think about posting a save eventually.

My 10yo brother posed an excellent question to me tonight, which I could not answer. I turn to you.

"Say you had a MPP with England, and an MPP with China. Then they declared war on each other. Who would you DOW on?" (abbreviated for typing purposes)

My logical thought was that they would cancel each other out. Another thought I had was that you declare war on both. Anyone know?

Hmmm. You declare war on one but since you're breaking an MPP you get a huge rep penalty. I think you declare war on the invading one (i.e. the one launching the first attack) but most of the time you can't see who attacks who so you won't ever notice, you'll just know that one of them is fighting you and all the AIs dislike you, including the idiot who dragged you into it. My advice: don't tangle into MPPs.

You do not do anything, until one attacks the other in their land. Then you will be asked to DOW. You break the MPP, if you do not accept. The moral of that story is to not make multiple MPP's.

I do not even recall the last time I made any MPP's, make alliances instead. You could play AW and not have to think about it.

I don't believe that you get any rep hit for taking the Required DOW. Team A lost the toss when they knowingly attacked your BFF.

I always thought that would give you a rep hit.. I mean, you are breaking the deal, right?

I sometimes use an MPP when one AI has all of the resources that I want and none of the things I can trade for them. I trade only with them and go out and conquer everything else, using them as my backup army. Then I stomp them at the end of the game. :backstab:

OK, so I know how to play you in multiplayer…

Hello all. I've got a lot of questions, and they all start with these 2 words: "how to ....", but I need to make a preliminary remark: I am used to play CIV III alone, and my challenges are always challenges against myself.

My first question is ... how to permit the game to update the local hall of fame even if you are playing a self-made scenario. I would be happy to play the same (huge) scenario in different times with different civilizations and with different starting locations, but I cannot have the result recorded in the HOF. Is it possible to make it possible? How does the game distinguish if the game started from a custom scenario?

The second one is ... how to extract from a saved game the characteristics and the random number used to create it?

The third one (sorry, it doesn't start like the others): does someone remember an old CIV2 scenario named "Atolon"? What about a CIV3 version?

I hope that it is the correct thread to post my questions ... please help me quickly, so that I can move to the next "how to" question. Forgive my bad english - Ulisse

Hello all. I've got a lot of questions, and they all start with these 2 words: "how to ....", but I need to make a preliminary remark: I am used to play CIV III alone, and my challenges are always challenges against myself.

My first question is ... how to permit the game to update the local hall of fame even if you are playing a self-made scenario. I would be happy to play the same (huge) scenario in different times with different civilizations and with different starting locations, but I cannot have the result recorded in the HOF. Is it possible to make it possible? How does the game distinguish if the game started from a custom scenario?

This is impossible as far as I know.

The second one is ... how to extract from a saved game the characteristics and the random number used to create it?

This has the function in it somewhere. Load the saved game in C3MT's saved game editor, find the random map seed number (which should be there somewhere) and then copy the number into the normal editor when you create a new map, and save it as a new scenario.

I think that's how you do it anyway; it's a long time since I've tried. You can't do it with the software that comes with the game though.

The third one (sorry, it doesn't start like the others): does someone remember an old CIV2 scenario named "Atolon"? What about a CIV3 version?

I don't know of one and I don't expect there is one. Not many people have bothered making conversions.

I hope that it is the correct thread to post my questions ... please help me quickly, so that I can move to the next "how to" question. Forgive my bad english - Ulisse

Yes, this is the right place. :)

You can get the world seed and what you need to create the map using CAII or SeedBeast.

You could use notepad to edit the HoF and enter the data as long as you know it. The format is:

HighScore.cv3
format:
leader name A nnnnn B C D
A = the civ race counting from the list shown in the hall of fame. That is 22 would be Arabs.
B = level counting Chief as 0.
C = type of vic/loss
VictoryType: Domination(0), Conquest(1), Cultural(2), Diplomatic(3), Spacerace(4), Retired(5), Histograph(6)
D = 1 means won 0 or 2 means lost

nnnnn is your final score.

Hi

I am not sure where to post this, couldnt find a thread aout modding especially so here it goes!

I am trying to bulid a Mod and want to add more techs (apx +50) I have it all planed out but having problems getting started. I have thought about it and think that the best way to get started is to start with the techs and then add on units and bulidings.

Is there a mod out there with allready expanded techtree? Like empty techs but with prereq and all that so I just can fill in the name? Or do I have to start from scratch? Alternatively - I am thinking to take one of the modds out there that allready have extra techs and just import the techs into my mod. Then the tree wil sjould allready be workningy? Would that work?

Is there some other way or some speciell techeditor program I can use?

Its not so easy I think, using the editor. I have C3C and working with the conquestedit.exe editor.

Thanks for any help and or suggestions!

Al

Hi

I am not sure where to post this, couldnt find a thread aout modding especially so here it goes!

I am trying to bulid a Mod and want to add more techs (apx +50) I have it all planed out but having problems getting started. I have thought about it and think that the best way to get started is to start with the techs and then add on units and bulidings.

Is there a mod out there with allready expanded techtree? Like empty techs but with prereq and all that so I just can fill in the name? Or do I have to start from scratch? Alternatively - I am thinking to take one of the modds out there that allready have extra techs and just import the techs into my mod. Then the tree wil sjould allready be workningy? Would that work?

Is there some other way or some speciell techeditor program I can use?

Its not so easy I think, using the editor. I have C3C and working with the conquestedit.exe editor.

Thanks for any help and or suggestions!

Al

You need the Creation and Customization forum

You'll find so much in there you're in danger of head asplosion. What are you looking for, more specifically?

This may sound like a dumb question, but can I use units created by other people to create a scenario/mod, if I can, do I have to ask them?

Top Bottom