Quick Questions and Answers

Does the unit's existance use the iron? Or the building of it??

I'm building 2 longswords and a caravel...

The Iron mine has a 6 when I hover over it... I have several longswords and pikemen, etc...

This does not make a lot of sense.

Every unit you build that needs iron takes one iron from the time when you start building it to the time it dies. So you probably have 4 long swords and 2 building, as well as some pikemen.

The resource gets used as soon as you start building. So if you had 2 surplus iron and started to build a longsword, it will change to 1 surplus iron.

More exactly, the resources is tagged as used as soon as you queue the build. So if you have 4 available iron, and queue 4 longswords to build in the same city, you cannot build any anywhere else until removing one from the queue.

To answer another question: there are no spy units, or espionage of any sort. Seems to be a pattern with Civ titles: leave out espionage until the expansion.

Hi everyone, long time Civ-er but very new to CivV so please bear with me...

1) Is there a way to stop that blasted intro movie from playing everytime I load the game?

2) Do I really not need to build roads on my resources tiles now? It's a really hard habit to break!

3) What's the point of CityStates? (possibly not a quick answer, lol)

TIA

1. Yes, there is, but it do not change the loading time of the game - if you disable the intro, you will be watching black screen until game load properly. To disable intro:

Enter the directory > My Document/My Games/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/ and there will be a document named UserSettings.ini. Open it. Find a line "SkipIntroVideo = 0" and change 0 to 1. Save the document. Intro is gone.

2. Nope. Resources are added to your empire as soon, as you make a proper improvement over them.

3. City States are extremly powerful add-on, that can make your empire spin! City-States are divided by two factors: type and, lets say, character. Type declares what kind of bonuses you can reap from it, if u are befriended with it or even better, allied with it. SO, cultural CS's grant you culture, militaristic give u new units once for a time and marinistic throw at you some extra food (only to capitol, if friend, and to all your cities if allied).

Character describes how fast your influence vaporize from the city (hostile CS's tend to forget your good deeds quicker x) ) and what time of "quests" a City State will want you to do to be your good fellow. Hostile, as you can guess, want everything killed, maimed and destroyed! Irrational is plain random - build a wonder, create a great merchant, destroy other CS's - you never know! And Friendly, will rarely want you to eliminate someone, but rather goes for "Build Pyramids to make us happy" or "Connect us with Yer'Ol Capitol". That stuff.

Generaly, bonus is bigger if you reach ALLY status with a City State. If you think this is not worth it, let me add that every CS that is allied to you give u access to its strategic/luxury rescources! That is big. Also, while allied with CS, and start a war, it will eagerly send its forces to fight for you. What not to love? WIth Patronage Policy Tree it becomes extra powerful, as it is way easier to handle CS's overaly and give additional bonuses, like increasing your science output, giving you Great Peoples and increasing happyness. Yes. Learn to love CS's ;)

* However, it becomes less of importance on higher difficulities, as AI have more money to buy CS's at his wish.
* Also, try Patronage + Siam. Just plain crazy!

Tell me about the number of turns per year. I just completed my first game, and never really paid attention to the number of turns before the game year changed. I was building the ss and noticed I'd never get it completed before the game ended, because one part needed like 40 something turns. I, at that time, began to notice a turn didn't equate with a year. It was in the 21st century. Is there a list of turns per year somewhere? Does this just occur in the 21st century? I know a turn can be more than one year in the early game. I was playing the default speed. Thanks.

Hi,

My friend organizes a Game of the Month competition on the civ.org.pl website (here: http://www.civ.org.pl/civ5/gotm/game.php?lang=Pol&game=2010-12 ). Since his english is farther to excellence ever more than mine, he asked me to ask you one thing.

The main goal in the game is to achieve +50 happiness as soon as possible. As you surely know, on of the things that increases it is the starting bonus. The size of this bonus depends on difficulty level. The game is made on the emperor level and the bonus should be +9. And in most cases it is, except one player, who has got +10. Is it possible that this happens because of a some kind of bug? Has any of you heard about such case? Or must he have cheated? Are the informations about the difficulty bonus stored in the save file? How difficult is it to hack a save file?

And if you would like to participate in this competition - we invite! :) We don't provide any information in english regarding this competition, unfurtunately, but all you have to is to download the game, achieve the goal and the save back. The secondary objective is the amount of science gain per turn in the last turn and the deadline is Jan 16th. We have even some prizes for the winners, but our sponsor would surely refuse to ship it outside Poland...

Tell me about the number of turns per year. I just completed my first game, and never really paid attention to the number of turns before the game year changed. I was building the ss and noticed I'd never get it completed before the game ended, because one part needed like 40 something turns. I, at that time, began to notice a turn didn't equate with a year. It was in the 21st century. Is there a list of turns per year somewhere? Does this just occur in the 21st century? I know a turn can be more than one year in the early game. I was playing the default speed. Thanks.
This is defined in the GameSpeed_Turns table. For a standard speed game you have, in order:
75 turns of 40 years each
60 turns of 25 years each
25 turns of 20 years each
50 turns of 10 years each
60 turns of 5 years each
50 turns of 2 years each
120 turns of 1 year each
60 turns of 6 months each

I haven't bothered calculating the actual years for each section, but you could do so if you wanted since it starts in 4000BC.

This is defined in the GameSpeed_Turns table. For a standard speed game you have, in order:
75 turns of 40 years each
60 turns of 25 years each
25 turns of 20 years each
50 turns of 10 years each
60 turns of 5 years each
50 turns of 2 years each
120 turns of 1 year each
60 turns of 6 months each

I haven't bothered calculating the actual years for each section, but you could do so if you wanted since it starts in 4000BC.

Thanks!

New question: I built a couple bombers and fighters in my last game and based them. For the life of me, I could not find them to wake for a later war I was in. Their flag completely disappeared. Is this a bug, or did I miss something?

The city they are in should have a little number over the top of it denoting how many air units are stationed; you can then click the number and select which one you want. Check out this bug report to see a picture of how the numbers look and the selection list.

You can also get at them through the unit list from the icon in the upper left.

The city they are in should have a little number over the top of it denoting how many air units are stationed; you can then click the number and select which one you want. Check out this bug report to see a picture of how the numbers look and the selection list.

You can also get at them through the unit list from the icon in the upper left.

Thanks again, MouseyPounds! :)

Hi, I want to buy the game by steam from Turkey? What is the price for it?And What is the first download size for the game?(main game + update)

I have a couple of newbie questions.....

1) why do my ships get stuck at the edge of the map? The map wraps all the way around, but my ship cannot cross the imaginary line. For instance I was spawned in South America one game and sent a Frigate towards Australia (which my caravel had previously discovered by sailing east or towards the right on the map). But when I got to the edge of the map it would let me go any further even though I could see the tiles on the other side.

2) How do you modify a map? I have searched everywhere on the game for this and can't figure out how to do it.

Thanks.

@Ohzan,

You are probably more an expert in buying games in Turkey than me, but I can tell you the following:

If you buy the retail version on DVD-ROM, you can also install from Steam. See my previous post about this. Unless you have a fast internet connection, you will probably want to install from DVD-ROM.

Many online stores offer much lower prices than Steam. However you should consider shipping and other additional costs, especially if you buy from a foreign country.

On Steam Civilization V price is €50 (ca. 101 Lira). I don't know if the price is different in Turkey.

On Amazon.co.uk Civilization V price is £18 plus £8 shipping costs. £ 26 (ca. 62 Lira). Since the Turkey isn't a member of the EU additional import fees and maybe other taxes may apply.

In both cases you will probably need a credit card to pay which means additionally costs.

Perhaps you can get a better deal at a local online store (i.e. lower shipping costs) or local shop. (But be aware of non genuine offers, but I probably don't need to tell you that.)

The game is about 4,5 GB if I recall correctly.

What is the trade route yield equation again?

Missing food - I have "missing" food production from the city center tile in two of my cities. Both cities were handed over during peace negotiations and both show up as being "occupied." The one city that I actually captured is also still showing up as "occupied" (although the courthouse will be done soon) but it's city center food production is being counted, as are all of my natively founded cities. I have enough extra happiness that my civ is net "happy" so no global food penalty.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom