What's the mechanic for border growth? Is it random? Or is there a way to direct the next tile growth certain direction?

What's the mechanic for border growth? Is it random? Or is there a way to direct the next tile growth certain direction?

It grows with the local accumulation of culture and the cost scales with each growth. It is not random but it is difficult to guess what tile would be next. It usually prioritize ressources and flat terrains over forrest and hills. You can't redirect whichever tiles is to be the next one chosen by the game. There is a mod that shows you the next tile expansion and the last update now tells you the remaining turns left before the growth also in the basic city screen.

Last edited:
My guess is that you gathered enough war weariness for cities to revolt. If people are unhappy enough, they will rebel against you, and those rebels appear as barbarians.

yes i think you are right. i was that concentrating on killing sumeria, and treating it like CIV 1, and was ignoring the unhappiness.

why am i such a warmonger when i haven't even started any wars? two countries declare war on me for no reason so i start to teach them a lesson. they keep then asking for peace on such bad terms that i refuse

for example, if i have at that time 3 of their cities captured, bearing in mind im so far in front that i can easily keep going till they are dead, they will offer to let me keep 2 of them, give them back 1 and ME GIVE THEM a pile of money. i say no, they react badly and i can feel everyone glaring at me. so i keep killing them, which should keep my people happy as thats what winning wars does, but eventually i have to make peace with the two countries in a bad deal just to stop my own people hating me as much as the whole world does, and years later they still hate me.

ive just lost a game that i thought i was well in front of, and the game didnt even tell me why i lost. it was turn 451, 2050ad and it suddenly says 'you have been defeated' . no explanation. im guessing germany won a culture victory as im well ahead in domination and science, but they are ahead in that, but it doesnt even explain this, just says ive been defeated.

ive just lost a game that i thought i was well in front of, and the game didnt even tell me why i lost. it was turn 451, 2050ad and it suddenly says 'you have been defeated' . no explanation. im guessing germany won a culture victory as im well ahead in domination and science, but they are ahead in that, but it doesnt even explain this, just says ive been defeated.

Been there, done that :)

You probably made the same mistake as I did: not checking all victory progress regularly. I was defeated by a religious victory twice, because I didn't have my own religion and so the whole religion thing just disappeared from my mind. Check those screens regularly, keep an eye on who's doing what.

If you don't know who defeated you or how, click "one more turn" and then check the victory progress tabs.

Developers, please notice this message and include at least a hint about who won the game in the movie, and how...

Does the Manhattan project come with any diplomatic penalties? Seems like everyone is denouncing me suddenly.

Sometimes all the trade routes are displayed permanently and the map looks ugly because of all the lines.
Is this a bug or can I correct this myself?

I have asked this several times but never got an answer. Am I the only one who has this problem?

Is there thread where you can discuss that reviews of this game were no honest? How much did firaxix pay for individual reviewers?

Is there thread where you can discuss that reviews of this game were no honest? How much did firaxix pay for individual reviewers?

No, there is not, and unless you have documentary proof of such payments, I would advise that you not post unsubstantiated rumors (which we would view as trolling) here.

I have asked this several times but never got an answer. Am I the only one who has this problem?
Do you mean the roads that trade routes make? They are permanent because they are roads

Do you mean the roads that trade routes make? They are permanent because they are roads
No, I mean the lines that appear when you choose the trade route. Sometimes they stay visible permanently and make a mess of the map.

No, I mean the lines that appear when you choose the trade route. Sometimes they stay visible permanently and make a mess of the map.
I have seen this happen but I don't recall for sure how I fixed it. If it persists into the next turn, I suggest you 1) save or quick save the game, 2) exit to main menu, 3) resume game.

According to the manual, if I denounce somebody, wait 5 turns, I am supposed to get the option in the diplomacy screen to declare a "formal war." I tried it. Did not work. I could only choose surprise war. What am I missing?

According to the manual, if I denounce somebody, wait 5 turns, I am supposed to get the option in the diplomacy screen to declare a "formal war." I tried it. Did not work. I could only choose surprise war. What am I missing?

You should see an option "Casus Belli" (IIRC, Latin for "Reasons for War"). The formal war option will be there.

I've seen it happen, it just disappeared next turn. Maybe changing lens? Assigning another trade route?

You cannot purchase any walls (ancient, medieval or renaissance) for Gold. Presumably to prevent you from putting off building walls until the bad guys come calling, and then rush-buy walls to get both the fortification defense and the ability to bombard nearby units.

Top Bottom