Raging Barbarians

vanatteveldt

Emperor
I started playing a couple games on epic/immortal/small pangea with the raging barbarians option on, and I am completely surprised at how much impact that has.

For example, my last game I built worker -> archer -> archer, sent my warrior off to explore and kept both archers for defending my city. Since I had mined a gold mine with my worker I placed an archer on the gold mine. I lost the game in 2900BC because a barb archer got lucky. I had already killed a warrior and an archer and another warrior was already approaching my BFC

I think raging barbs on higher levels has a couple very important implications for early game:

- if you don't research archery, you have to defend your capital with warriors against archers, which is 2 + 25% + 20% = 2.9 vs 3, so you are not safe unless you have a sizable force of warriors. I think in raging barbs an attack comes every other turn, so if each attack kills and/or severely wounds a warrior, you need to build a lot of warriors until promotions turn the odds to your favour.

- if you start with a worker, you can only use it for chopping or improving flatland resources next to the capital until you have 3 archers: you cannot afford to position an archer on a hill resource or two squares off if you only leave one archer in your capital, as that leaves a non-trivial chance of losing the first attack of an archer. Building indefensible improvements in the early game is an enormous risk of worker turns.

- you can only think of expanding after building something like 4 archers, assuming no losses: 2 to defend the capital, 2 to defend the new city. This assumes no archers are needed to defend resource squares.

- I've tried not researching archery and hoping to connect a horse or copper for defense, but the barbs creamed me during the wait, and/or made it impossible to defend my capital with warriors and spare enough warriors to defend the worker hooking up the resource (esp on flatlands)

After a while, AI expansion fills a lot of the empty land an barbarian pressure becomes less, but if you wait for this to happen before expanding you are left with very little land.

In sum: the way I play raging barbs I need to make bronze working and archery priorities and build worker -> archer -> archer -> archer -> archer -> settler.

How do you guys handle raging barbs?

-- Wouter

This varries a bit depending on how crowded tha map is. I am a bit surpised, seeing you talking about a small map giving such a trouble, as there should be less fog to spawn barbs... You basicly only need to fogbust the area between you and the next AI (and of course AI has fogbusting units around as well...)

2 Warriors you get (almost) for the price of one Archer might help you more by Fogbusting a larger area, than the archer does on defence.

Then again - i don't play immortal. (Monarch / Emperor depending on mood)

No there is not that much room. In my example game (which I am replaying without working the gold mine) there are around 4-5 squares between me and the see N and W, 3 to the tundra S (dunno how much tundra), and 6 between me and AI E. To fogbust this, I would need something like 10 warriors, I think, plus still one or two for defending my capital since 10 warriors will leave open space. This costs 11*22=242 shields, which would also buy me 6.5 archers, which is quite enough to defend.

My problem is a lot earlier,ie in 3000BC I had just completed my second archer. I guess I could have built 3 or 4 or even 5 warriors by then, espcially by dropping the worker, but that is not nearly enough to fogbust everything.

Maybe I just shouldn't play immortal either :). But I find emperor is a bit too easy, although the raging barbs probably increases difficulty due to the free AI units...

(EDIT: Maybe the problem is less if coastal or surrounded by AIs, rather than 5 squares off the coast on three sides like in this example...)

concerning archer attacking warrior, the math is
2 +25% (fortify) +25% (innate ability) = 3 vs 3 (but archer has one first strike)

A rule of thumb is either to beeline archery or masonry. Having TGW helps immensely!

i have found that on immortal, when you start next to a large area of tundra / ice - you either get lucky with horses / build the great wall / get creamed.

u can go for bronze, but i rarely research that right in the beginning as i'd rather my worker were doing smth...

oh - if you don't go for archery that is - archery helps :D but on emperor i would never research that.

...archery helps but on emperor i would never research that

Quite a opposite - after initial food techs (farms, boats), research archery on higher levels. Making Bronze a priority, you're not just risking, but you're loosing if you don't have bronze in you BFC. On high levels, you just don't have a time to research horses (or iron), barbarian archers will pillage you.

I like raging barbarin option very much.

I heart the Great Wall.

Quite a opposite - after initial food techs (farms, boats), research archery on higher levels. Making Bronze a priority, you're not just risking, but you're loosing if you don't have bronze in you BFC. On high levels, you just don't have a time to research horses (or iron), barbarian archers will pillage you.

i have to disagree - if you start with agriculture or hunting, you have the time to go for AH - check if horses are available - if they're not, i go archery. if you've got another livestock in your BFC (or near the planned site for city 2) it makes sense to make it first tech u ever research.

and i'm talking immortal level - on emperor i always somehow managed without archers.

Same, especially when all those barbs find out that they can't get in so they go attack your neighbor instead. CHEAP!

I had a really funny thing happen a couple games ago.

Stoopid Aztecs did a rush on me around 1000 BC. I had GW, with dozens of raging barbs patrolling my borders.

About 1/3 of his troops got wiped by barbs before he even go to me :lol:

Top Bottom