Ranch dressing, mayo, and other food musings (moved from "Random Rants")

A serial thread about mayonnaise? :ack:

Is this the Random Ranch thread?

Ha..tartar sauce is pretty much mayo. But no, I'd not think of using mayo with fish. You can find it in seafood salad though.

Also, Fat is really not that bad for you at all except for mainly vegetable oils, which most mayo does have. Sugar is the main problem in diets.

I can ramble on about the Ponderosa all day (I'm old enough to have watched Bonanza during its original run).

:p

What kind of fish? :dubious:

The proper accompaniment to cod is tartar sauce, though I've substituted sweet & sour sauce or barbecue sauce if tartar wasn't available (the BBQ sauce will also do for the chips if ketchup isn't available). I like seafood sauce if eating crab or shrimp (which aren't fish, but they all come from the ocean).

If properly prepared, salmon, trout, and whitefish don't require anything fancy (a bit of dill is nice on salmon - not sauce, just a bit of dill). Some people put lemon juice on fish, but I don't see the point. But then I got spoiled, since my grandmother was very good at preparing fish that was so good it didn't need anything extra.

I've got quite a few tins of mackerel and herring in the pantry. The herring is lemon-pepper, and the mackerel I prefer is said to be Mediterranean style, including black olives and red peppers.

If I were eating it fresh, I'm not sure what, if anything, I'd put on it. I've never had either of them fresh.
The kind that doesn't have much flavor on its own :) Though I don't like cod anyway. It's less the fish going well with mayo, than the green salad, admittedly (I always eat such with fish).

It just has to be a new serial thread. It is the only way.
I vote for this.

Thread title should be changed to "Random Ranch" (obvious wordplay on "Rants," as pronounced by a person with a mouth full of food.)

Thread title should be "Random Ranch One" (or "1," or "I," or whatever other numerical abomination Egon chooses).

Initial subtitle "Food Musings" (so that parties new to the thread know what it is about).

All subsequent incarnations begin with an explanation that "Random Ranch One" was spun out of complaints about mayonnaise in "Random Rants 94," so that parties new to the forum will understand how the main title fits among Rants, Raves and Thoughts (which should--I'll take this as an occasion to note--be "Reflections," or "Ruminations," rather than Thoughts, but be that as it may.)

make it so.gif

Will the second thread be a discussion on whether or not Mayonnaise is an instrument?

You need to post the thousandth post in this thread, Broken Erika, and then you can make thread 2 (or two, or II), whatever you might want it to be (or at least start it off that way)

Best ranch is mmm, Red Robin salad dressing?

Yass queen

mayo is amazing. the secret to a truly great grilled cheese, and the means to make virtually any quick sauce in minutes. That alone is spectacular, but it’s also great alone in burgers or sandwiches.

Its texture causes me to gag uncontrollably, sadly. Weird because i liked it a lot until i was like 10.

Also weird because i like things derived from it just fine. The textures of ranch and mayo aren't *that* different but one is fine and the other intolerable to me.

The twist has arrived.

Fact: Russians consume more mayonnaise per capita than any other country in the world.

How can the internet possibly know that :think:

Top Bottom