Rand Paul Running For U.S. Senate (Kentucky)

Given that this is an open race, anyone has a chance. I wonder if he'll pull an Elizabeth May if elected and switch to Libertarian.

Unfortunately, that fails both as an appeal to nepotism (Ted deserves to shove his kid in Congress far more than Ron does) and as a critique of the congressman from Rhode Island. Yes, he has major personal issues, but he's a decent congressman on balance. If Rand is as similar to his father as he appears, he'd make a horrible Senator.

If you are judging the son on the sins of the father, how does a son whose father killed a woman, walked away from where he killed her, and didn't bother to talk to anyone about it initially but instead just went home to a relaxing shower and nice breakfast the next day deserve to to be shoved into politics by his father?

If you are judging the son on the sins of the father, how does a son whose father killed a woman, walked away from where he killed her, and didn't bother to talk to anyone about it initially but instead just went home to a relaxing shower and nice breakfast the next day deserve to to be shoved into politics by his father?

That's a rather biased way of putting things. It would be more accurate to say he had an accident, got scared and did some incredibly stupid stuff. I'm not defending his actions, but you're acting like it was at least 2nd Degree Murder, which is frankly ridiculous.

And of course, I'm looking at the man's record as a whole. Whatever happened at Chappaquiddick, it's hard to deny that Ted was quite possibly the most influential senator of the late 20th century.

Personally, I am excited to see this. Ron Paul is a needed voice in the house, and it would please me to no end to see Rand follow in the senate.

No sweat here, I already beat him to inventing the RAND gate, or Rational-AND:

Also, alas, this would have been much cooler instead of just a bit sad if there had been no relation to Ron Paul.

Does he have an ice cube's chance in hell of winning?

It looks like he does.

He was also endorsed by Sarah Palin. I saw an ad of his yesterday here in Illinois.

Yeah, I'd say he's a comfortable favorite now. Paul walked into the perfect political storm...his state is full of white populist anger, and the GOP establishment in Kentucky has kind of broken down, so a lot of GOP bigwigs are endorsing Paul not so much because they believe in his views (also some, like Palin, do), but to "stick it to the man".

No sweat here, I already beat him to inventing the RAND gate, or Rational-AND:

Also, alas, this would have been much cooler instead of just a bit sad if there had been no relation to Ron Paul.
RAND gate? :confused: WTF?

How the hell does that work?

Excellent Tea Party splitting the Republicans just like I said. Watch, the Republicans are going to get shafted out of all this.

Paul isn't running under a Tea Party banner, he's running under a Republican one, roundly kicking opponent in the primary's butt, and then will square off against a Dem, who he should beat. Remember, the other guy isn't going to run as an independent.

There really isn't a "split party" problem here. The only race where that can really happen is Florida, with Rubio and Crist (Nevada's Tea Party guy is facing serious legal problems).

Paul isn't running under a Tea Party banner, he's running under a Republican one, roundly kicking opponent in the primary's butt, and then will square off against a Dem, who he should beat. Remember, the other guy isn't going to run as an independent.

There really isn't a "split party" problem here. The only race where that can really happen is Florida, with Rubio and Crist (Nevada's Tea Party guy is facing serious legal problems).

It doesn't matter if he's officially running under the Tea Party. He derives large amounts of support and donations from the Tea Party. It's the same with Hayworth whose running against McCain in the primary so if he loses he has the potential to run as an independent. The far right is being pushed out by the further right. It's going to have serious consequences for the Republican party, consider that Romney is by far the best and most qualified candidate to run against Obama in 2012, but in all likelihood he won't be nominated, Huckabee, or hell Palin are more likely for some reason. The GOP is alienating the independents and the moderates and thats going to start showing serious consequences. If Crist and McCain run as independents they'll split the Republican vote for instance, while Rand Paul if he wins will alienate the moderates and independents. This whole affair is a losing proposition for the Republicans.

His legal name is Randal, and his wife shortened it to Rand... although, I forgot how vehement your side was about, you know, not judging people by their name.
lol, I didn't know that I'm part of a "side". That said, I stand corrected.

It doesn't matter if he's officially running under the Tea Party. He derives large amounts of support and donations from the Tea Party. It's the same with Hayworth whose running against McCain in the primary so if he loses he has the potential to run as an independent. The far right is being pushed out by the further right. It's going to have serious consequences for the Republican party, consider that Romney is by far the best and most qualified candidate to run against Obama in 2012, but in all likelihood he won't be nominated, Huckabee, or hell Palin are more likely for some reason. The GOP is alienating the independents and the moderates and thats going to start showing serious consequences. If Crist and McCain run as independents they'll split the Republican vote for instance, while Rand Paul if he wins will alienate the moderates and independents. This whole affair is a losing proposition for the Republicans.

No, you're reading this all wrong.

First, there is zero indication that any of the "tea party" element of the GOP is willing to run as an independent if they lose their primary...or the other way around (With Florida being the exception..and maaaaaaybe Utah)

Second, despite what the preconceived narrative might be, the GOP is picking up indie voters. Indie voters aren't necessarily moderates or centrists...they just don't register with a party. This is part of the reason the Dems are supposed to get their trash kicked in 2010.

Now, this might be a long term problem, because I think once people see how crazy these guys are, they aren't going to be able to retain their seats...but for now, there is nothing (politically) wrong with it.

The dude is from Bowling Green? Now I like him even LESS. That is one of the worst places in America that I have ever been.

In what way(s)? It certainly beats the hell out of a lot of places I've been.

More OT: When I was in KY a month ago, there were already some Rand Paul campaign
signs out, so I assumed that he had already announced...

I initially though Rand was from Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged is horrific)

Yso a lot of GOP bigwigs are endorsing Paul not so much because they believe in his views (also some, like Palin, do), but to "stick it to the man".

Is there any reason to believe that Palin has some special sympathy for him? If I don't misremember, Rand takes after his father on foreign policy, so it's not like Palin and Paul have much in common there.

Top Bottom