Random SG 01 - The Randomness Begins

I didn't know a privateer could capture a city. I really like this battle plan. The only question is: how many shots will it take for the frigates to get Attila's Court down to a capturable level? Figure for each turn, one of your frigates will either be lost or sustain near fatal damage. We'll probably want approximately eight frigates and only one or two privateers. We could also land a unit on the beach next to the city.

I didn't know a privateer could capture a city. I really like this battle plan. The only question is: how many shots will it take for the frigates to get Attila's Court down to a capturable level? Figure for each turn, one of your frigates will either be lost or sustain near fatal damage. We'll probably want approximately eight frigates and only one or two privateers. We could also land a unit on the beach next to the city.

It's not so bad if defense of the city is low, like around 40 it's definetly safe, frigates defensive str is 25, for example comparing to 16 pikemen right now^^
Spoiler :
I remember sieving city ~ 55 combat str, trebuchet inside and crossbow wandering around, they didn't kill one frig in a turn but they were very red after it...
It took 3 to 5 turns of constant 4 frig bombardment to take it down. (And in that case I've dealt with his navy first).
I guess it's save to assume that we'll need to back up just one of frigates each turn from the city and 4 turns should be enough, so ye, 8 frigates is perfect, 7 (our current iron plus 4 from Sweden) is fine too.

Once the city is captured it's easy to hold it or insta recapturing it back even if you lose it^^ The second privateer could be useful in case I think.
Some land units would be nice, true.

So ye, I also like this plan especially if Attila has a Great Wall there:)
Otherwise I'm not sure it worth to capture Attila's court instead of Addis Ababa..

What the other team members think about this ambitious attack?)

I'll do a more thorough read-up on what has happened later but I like the idea of going for frigates and take Attila from the sea! Most of his cities are on the coast and he has probably got the Great Wall in Attila's Court so taking that from him will take away his advantage. Declaring on him next would give us the control of 2 more original capitals as we capture both Attila's Court and Addis Abeba in one war, not even having to declare on Ethiopia.

This might be me just being ignorant of game mechanics, but does the Great Wall movement restriction only apply to land units? If it applies to naval units, that might impact our planning.

Great Wall only restricts movement for land units, so there should be no problem attacking from sea.

Great Wall only restricts movement for land units, so there should be no problem attacking from sea.

Yes:)

As far as I know there is no way to spot the city with a Great Wall, I guess we should use a spy after capturing Persepolis?

Using a spy is a great idea. Once Teproc moves a unit so that Persepolis can be seen, the spy there should be moved to Attila's Court.

Using a spy is a great idea. Once Teproc moves a unit so that Persepolis can be seen, the spy there should be moved to Attila's Court.

Agree, it's like 15 turns till the next tech steal so it won't happen anyway:)
Maybe wait 3 turns to see what he'll be building after satrap's court, but that's not so important I guess..

P. S. One of our embarked trebuches is 3 tiles away from the land, we could wait for astronomy (2 turns) to disembark so that all units will be in the city range the same turn.
Probably it'll be the case anyway due to 2 more warriors, so just a note:)

Teproc was talking about the glory of sacking Persepolis, but I haven't heard from him since.

Let's give Teproc until Saturday> IF we haven't heard anything by then, it's a skip.

It has been six days since we have heard from Teproc. Gurra, if you can play give us a "got it"Whomever get

Bugs <= last player
Polus <= Traveling. Skipped until return.
Teproc <= who's next? ]
-----------------------] Who will it be? An anxious world awaits.
Gurra <= who's next? ]
Eric
Menelann

It has been six days since we have heard from Teproc. Gurra, if you can play give us a "got it"Whomever get

Bugs <= last player
Polus <= Traveling. Skipped until return.
Teproc <= who's next? ]
-----------------------] Who will it be? An anxious world awaits.
Gurra <= who's next? ]
Eric
Menelann

That's a fair way to fix it^^

And we still haven't heard from either of them.

On a separate note, I just learned that a caravel can also take a city. I just watched Shaka use four caravels to take a 22 strength city in two turns. I am assuming that any melee naval unit can take a coast city.

I am assuming that any melee naval unit can take a coast city.

Ye, I tried all but the trireme:)
Though privateers are significantly more powerful than the caravel due to the coastal raider 1 promotion they have.
But actually it doesn't matter so much because ideally you would attack with a melee unit when city has 0 HP:)

Unless Teproc shows up before that I can play tomorrow (or possibly Tuesday, I have some other things to take care of tomorrow). :)

Edit: I got the save, starting the game now.

I got quite the surprise in between turns 174 and 175 so I'll share my turn log for the turns up to that.

T170: Not much happened, inherited turn.

T171: Hippo Regius finishes construction on something (I don't know what it was), and I start them on a Forest Elephant. One of our Galleases was promoted to attack land units better and then it says something I can't read. I think it says that the war continued. We can conclude that my handwriting is bad. :D

I moved one of our Forest Elephants in too close to Persepolis and it was shot down. This saved all of our Trebuchets that turn though, none of them were harmed even though they were in range.

T172: A lot of construction projects were done. Longswordsman in Gades, University in Utique and Ironworks in Carthage. Astronomy was researched and I started Carthage and Utique on Observatories. Gades started training another Longswordsman. For a new research project I started us on Navigation as discussed. A Great General spawned and Budapest became our friend thanks to that.

Darius kills one of our Trebuchets...

T173: Not much happened, the siege of Persepolis goes on.

Another Trebuchet down...

Spoiler :
T174: Persepolis has fallen! I make the city our puppet and it should stay that way at least until resistance is over in 9 turns. No use in annexing a city that is in resistance anyway. I get an alert that our spy fled the city because we captured it (woah, we're your friends, take it easy! :D), and I move it to Attila's Court to check out whether or not they have the Great Wall there. Also our happiness is down to -8 now.

And now for the surprise... Attila came to me (and he is friendly) asking me if we should attack the Ottomans together. I have no idea what to answer so I'll leave the game on for an hour or two and take care of some other things, so if anyone reads this: please come with input on what answer to give him! If not, I'll just make the decision myself when I come back because I can't leave the game on forever. In one of my own games I'd probably go with "sorry, not interested" but if we are really going for the Domination win we might want to ask for 10 turns to prepare.

Spoiler :

I think you can press "give is 10 turns" for now, if we won't go to war with Ottomans, we will go to war with Attila soon, so who cares about diplomatic penalty with him:)

I'm not sure what is the best option...
On one hand taking Attila's court with frigs now is a nice opportunity.
On the other hand expansion to Ottoman's land is much more natural and safer than going to Attila's court. And it will provide us a nice platform to deal with Attila. Also Suleiman has a few wonders while Attila has only the Gteat Wall (damnit).

That said I don't think any war without frigates is reasonable considering our positions.
On the same note, do we need much more land units now? Especially longswordmans that cost iron...

Yeah you're right about the longsword, I didn't think that through. I'll cancel it and we'll just have to live with the wasted production. We probably only need to expand our navy later. The Hippo Regius forest elephant should probably be our last land unit then.

I didn't think of the aspect that if we don't go ahead with the war in 10 turns it doesn't really matter what Attila thinks of us since he would be our target then. I'll tell him to give us 10 turns.

Edit: I haven't played more except for telling Attilia to give us 10 turns, I'll play the rest tomorrow.

Well done Gurra. :hammer: Good thing we planned on losing a unit per turn.

War with Suleiman makes sense. We need to get our happiness under control as soon as possible. How much is Persepolis pulling us down in resistance and how much will it improve when it comes out? Are there any social policies we can adopt to get happies?

Top Bottom