Random SG 01 - The Randomness Begins

Yes, I'd definitely move the warrior a tile SE first.

Instead of a bug, what could explain the lack of resources is this:
Code:
-- Get Resources setting input by user.
	local res = 1 + Map.Rand(3, "Random Resources Option - Lua");
We wanted random, so I chose Shuffle as our map type, as that's more random than the random map option. I had no clue Shuffle also randomises the resource distribution, but the code is clear. Resources could be set to scarce on this map.
I've never played with scarce resources, there should be still plenty of resources around, but start positions are less 'cooked' than with the default option.

Well this could take the randomness to a whole new level. :eek: I would stay on the coast with Dido. Here is the batting order:

Bugs
Eric the Great
Polus <= just played
Optional <= UP (play 15 turns)
Teproc<= on deck (play 15 turns)
Gurra

Right, Shuffle does mean we don't necessarily have that many resources laying around.

What would be good here would be to find another sea resource to make a Lighthouse worth it.

Unless we find a much better settling location nearby I think we should move the Settler onto the hill to get a coast/hill/mountainside capital - only thing missing terrain-wise is a river. And who knows, maybe there's a water lux in that direction.

Edit: And for Dido, she is actually the only leader I have played in an SG before (if we count out Gajah Mada) but that doesn't really matter to me.

Unless we find a much better settling location nearby I think we should move the Settler onto the hill to get a coast/hill/mountainside capital - only thing missing terrain-wise is a river. And who knows, maybe there's a water lux in that direction.

Hill - on the coast - next to a mountain. Good call Gurra.:goodjob:

Agree that we should go next to the mountain so we can gain the hill bonus. Are we going towards the same strategy that we started with as Indonesia or are we going towards something different?

Hard to say honestly. Carthage goes well with Liberty but it really depends on what we see, we might need Tradition to be able to grow.

Same build order scout-monument-worker-scout. Unless something happens.

Second scout is really not necessary. Well it can be, but it's not by default, it's really only good on Pangaea-type maps.

I guess the second scout will depend on what we see of our landmass by then.

If an early culture ruin gets popped and you can get straight into Tradition I wouldn't bother with an early monument. Early monument is much more a Liberty thing.

I would first do that warrior move to see if any luxes come up. Settler against the mountain is good for an extra hammer early and an observatory later, but if it means pushing luxes in the fourth ring I'm not so sure it's a smart move.
Good production makes it easier to get up a shrine up early, although I have a feeling only Teproc and me care about the religious thing.
And for Dido, she is actually the only leader I have played in an SG before (if we count out Gajah Mada) but that doesn't really matter to me.
I never saw that SG. I'll read up on it!
It looks like Dido is getting more than her fair share in SG's.

@Optional : Before the recent patch i'd agree with you, but now Legalism is a long way off, and I like building monuments again.

I pretty much always default to an early shrine because at least getting a pantheon is always pretty good value, but it's less important with this start since there's no obviously good pantheon right away. Something like Fertility Rites or God-King is fine, but not a big priority.

OK. One way or another we need to kick this game off.

Hello everyone :D

I'm currently at that time of year again full of family activities as well as many exams coming within a few weeks. I would like to thank all for giving the opportunity to explore another succession game, but I am unfortunately not willing to go further because of the many activities ahead planned and also my heart not being into much of Civ5 anymore.

Hope you guys keep on having fun :goodjob: ,

TheGreat

Thanks Eric. Looks like we are looking for another team member.

We are also looking for a posted playing of the first 15 turns from Optional.

Bugs
Polus <= just played
Optional <= UP (play 15 turns)
Teproc<= on deck (play 15 turns)
Gurra

Oh sorry, I thought you were playing. It looks like I just took a glance at the roster and saw that your name was first. I'm too used to the player whose turn it is being mentioned first.
That's a bit daft, we were waiting for each other without a reason.

I'll certainly make that warrior move soon and see if that learns us any more.

Yes, a pity Eric the Great is leaving us. Maybe you can still do a set when things quiet down for you.

Done the warrior move. We have a lux, it's truffels. Putting the settler on the hill won't move that out of working radius, so we can do that.
Also I think there's a certain pantheon that would be quite attractive here...

Yes, a pity Eric the Great is leaving us. Maybe you can still do a set when things quiet down for you.

I'll think about it, but honestly with a s••t load of pressure that comes with exams + the holidays I really don't have time for much these days :(

4000 BC, turn 0: Move warrior. We see our first lux, that lux would still be within working range if we put Carthage on the hill, so we move our settler to the hill.

3960 BC, turn 1: Settle Carthage. Set production to scout, research to Pottery. Moving the warrior east, as from the hill it was visible there was flat land there - better movement for the warrior.

3920 BC, turn 2: Warrior reveals wine, and coast.

3880 BC, turn 3: Warrior reveals more wine, a ruin, and Mt Kilimanjaro!
Spoiler :
3840 BC, turn 4: The ruin gives us an extra citizen, and another ruin gets revealed.

3800 BC, turn 5: Bad luck, a Persian scout grabs the ruin in the interturn. So we meet Darius.
Spoiler :
3760 BC, turn 6: Carthage produced the scout. Difficult to decide what next. A second scout or a worker is what I usually do. I'll settle on a monument in this case, though, because border expansion looks very essential.

3720 BC, turn 7: The warrior spots Persepolis. Since the Persian scout went our way, I hope to go the other way of Persepolis for some ruin hunting.

3680 BC, turn 8: The warrior cannot move on, Persepolis blocks the way. I wonder what that Persian scout was doing moving towards the ice to explore our way first?
Persepolis has already got 3 citizens at turn 8, good going.
Spoiler :
3640 BC, turn 9: Our scout pops a ruin, and it's Mining. There's also a barb camp there, but this isn't very close to Carthage anymore.
And there are more truffels, and a river.
Spoiler :
3600 BC, turn 10: Our scout, moving further south, meets Cape Town. Maritime and hostile. I forgot to write down the lux, I think it was spices. It also looks like the continent is ending here.
Pottery is in.

Okay, here I pause for some team input. Building a shrine is available now. The monument still has 2 turns to go. Do I switch straight to shrine or finish the monument first? Our area has lots of both deer and truffels, so Goddess of the Hunt would be a very strong pantheon. It doesn't give faith, so we might not get a religion with it, but it would be lots of extra food while it lasts.
Delaying building the shrine would not help our chances getting it.
For research I think we need to go Animal Husbandry > Trapping.

I'll play my last 5 turns, but I'm interested in your opinions at this point. I hope the screenshots are clear enough for you to see the situation.

Top Bottom