Random Thoughts XIV: Pizza, Pomegranate Juice, and Shreddies

Every now and then I read an architecture piece and go down a rabbit hole on a certain architect or architecture style, and feel a twinge of regret that I didn't take up architecture like my mother told me to do, but then I remember we have had two drawing courses (one physical, the other digital) in our program, and I sucked hard at both.

in a perfect example of CFC , some good guy posts what he wears on his flight jacket to get laid . It is an helicopter in good side colours . Says go kill them all . The guy from the bad side according to the general tendencies of the forum says the good guy removed it from from his instagram . The bad side is accused of conducting internet harassment . Of lying , too . And then we also see it must be against the general brand of the helicopters . Down to the idea that its windows should be scratched for a peaceful conclusion . And yeah , this really happens on this 27th of March in 2024 .

and of course ı managed to post this first in some other totally irrelevant thread .

and yes , this is rather famous original for the F-14 , with endless variations . Should say NAFO should have noticed the importance of the comma . Might have come out after 1981 after two Libyan jets were shot down and those would read "Anytime, Kaddafi" .

28-03-2028.jpeg

it's funny how, for all the press it got in first grade, no-one uses the ÷ symbol

in fact I had to go Google the division symbol because even the one on my keyboard defaults to / despite the fact it has a ÷ printed on it

it's funny how, for all the press it got in first grade, no-one uses the ÷ symbol

in fact I had to go Google the division symbol because even the one on my keyboard defaults to / despite the fact it has a ÷ printed on it
I'm assuming there's a combination of other keys necessary to produce the division sign? What is it? On my own keyboard "+" needs the caps, but the = sign is below it. There's no division sign anywhere on my keyboard other than the "/".

Apparently the French Canadian keyboard has some of the symbols the English keyboard doesn't, but I don't want this computer to get the idea that I actually want to use the French keyboard.

I use the division sign if I'm writing something down that needs dividing.

We just had an itty-bitty earthquake. It was a 4.8 centered on Lebanon, New Jersey, about 250 miles/400 km away. One of my colleagues and I felt it, up in our office building, as a gentle swaying. Someone who was at ground-level said they didn't notice anything.

Every now and then I read an architecture piece and go down a rabbit hole on a certain architect or architecture style, and feel a twinge of regret that I didn't take up architecture like my mother told me to do, but then I remember we have had two drawing courses (one physical, the other digital) in our program, and I sucked hard at both.
I did 2/3rds of 1st year architecture at my first attempt at university around 1978.
During a weekly wine* and cheese evening, I said to the one of the lecturers that I couldn't decide between art and science, so I chose architecture because it combines the two fields.
She snapped back: "No it doesn't, it's only about money."

I was so devastated, it was the last time I dyed my hair purple or wore chrome plated shoes.

*The bottle labels just said "Produce of Australia, Dry Red". IOW, no liability.

I did 2/3rds of 1st year architecture at my first attempt at university around 1978.
During a weekly wine* and cheese evening, I said to the one of the lecturers that I couldn't decide between art and science, so I chose architecture because it combines the two fields.
She snapped back: "No it doesn't, it's only about money."

I was so devastated, it was the last time I dyed my hair purple or wore chrome plated shoes.

*The bottle labels just said "Produce of Australia, Dry Red". IOW, no liability.
Architecture is one of those fields where the artistry is extremely subjective, but the science matters because you don't want the building to collapse or fail in some other way that ends up being harmful. People who are a success at both will end up succeeding with the money part.

Architecture is one of those fields where the artistry is extremely subjective, but the science matters because you don't want the building to collapse or fail in some other way that ends up being harmful. People who are a success at both will end up succeeding with the money part.
She meant that if the client doesn't have the money for your Grand Design, you will end up designing them a box.

Or you could give up on life and become a bassist civil engineer.
I dunno. Here in the US, with our infrastructure on the verge of collapse, and with climate change already making huge swathes of the country uninsurable, and soon unlivable, I think civil engineers have a bright future. Bassists are always welcome, as far as I'm concerned, although that may not be the most lucrative career path.

I dunno. Here in the US, with our infrastructure on the verge of collapse, and with climate change already making huge swathes of the country uninsurable, and soon unlivable, I think civil engineers have a bright future.
Economically, yes. I was thinking of the scientific bit. Civil engineers use the opposite of creative work, by and large - due to their subject :)
At least architects can draw/design too, not simply calculate material resistance etc.

Economically, yes. I was thinking of the scientific bit. Civil engineers use the opposite of creative work, by and large - due to their subject :)
At least architects can draw/design too, not simply calculate material resistance etc.
Civil engineer by day, jazz-funk bassist by night? :D

I dunno. Here in the US, with our infrastructure on the verge of collapse, and with climate change already making huge swathes of the country uninsurable, and soon unlivable, I think civil engineers have a bright future. Bassists are always welcome, as far as I'm concerned, although that may not be the most lucrative career path.
Math based professions like civil engineering are certainly important and for those folks who have that orientation it is often a good fit. But the most talented in the field (and most other fields) use their innate creativity to push the boundaries and create new solutions to old problems. In every line of work there are those who are mediocre and perfectly capable getting a job done to meet required standards. The best though are able to bring ideas from other areas of life and work into their chosen field and advance it. Mediocre people color within the lines. Talented people are expansive and freely push the boundaries of their work.

Regardless of people think of themselves, most people are "around average". Most civil engineers are average (in civil engineering). To tag them all as people who have given up on life because you look down on their profession, says a lot more about you than about them. Mediocre people have mediocre thoughts about others.

Too much responsibility. If you get drunk at work and make a mistake you can go to jail.
If a mathematician makes a mistake, they can laugh it off and spend the next few years looking for typos in their accuser's work.

Too much responsibility. If you get drunk at work and make a mistake you can go to jail.
If a mathematician makes a mistake, they can laugh it off and spend the next few years looking for typos in their accuser's work.
^_^
It typically has better pay. The chasm in proofs will be dangerous only to the few creatures that visit Tartarus.

And for a bassist, getting drunk (or whatever) at work is practically de rigueur.

Sober civil engineer by day, drunk jazz bassist by night.

Sober civil engineer by day, drunk jazz bassist by night.
Or even comedian, actor, movie director, writer, clarinetist, and child molester if you are truly multi talented. :mischief:

Top Bottom