Random Thoughts XIV: Pizza, Pomegranate Juice, and Shreddies

Total waste of goods, that. I can see what they were going for, but really now.

The former German teacher added: ‘I teach the Talk Tyke Course in the same way I taught German. Covering the four skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing.

‘Since the first course we’ve seen a welcome spike in the number of new members joining the society.’

Rod, who grew up in Bradford, said the dialect has been kept alive by working folk.

He added: ‘It’s because the working class continued speaking dialect that people often wrongly associate it with being uneducated or confuse it with slang.
Here are some phrases pupils could be learning in class if the campaign proved successful…

Baht ‘at: Without a hat

Put wood in t’ole: Would you kindly close the door?

Tha’s reyt Mardy: You’re not in a particularly good mood today

You daft ‘apeth: You fool

Eeh by gum: An expression of surprise or emphasis.

Mither: To bother or annoy

Bairn: Child or baby

Is there such a thing as the opposite of an advertisement?
NYT today had a story on how Chuck E. Cheese is going to replace its animatronic band with screens.

Screens are better than any actual real-life stuff. And that even includes totally fake real-life stuff like a pizza parlor's animatronic band.

I have no fondness or nostalgia for Chuck E. Cheese's animatronic band. I've only been to that restaurant once, so I've only seen it once.

Still, I regard this as a dark day.

Five nights at Freddy's finish them off?

When people marry, there are a few options with their names:
  • Often the wife takes the last name of the husband (western cultures)
  • Opposite is becoming more common
  • Also double names
  • Or just no change
Why is nobody swapping last names? Husband takes the last name of the wife, AND wife takes the last name of the husband? That is balanced, fair, and shows committment.
Alright, the bureaucracy is annoying for both, I take that.

• Also double names
  • Or just no change
Why is nobody swapping last names? Husband takes the last name of the wife, AND wife takes the last name of the husband? That is balanced, fair, and shows committment.

When I married, making wife take my surname was a sign of protection. She is protected by all men in my family now.

Five nights at Freddy's finish them off?
They took that up in the article. They say no. They say this has been in their thinking since the pandemic.

The more I think about that ad, the more I think Bonyduck got it right: this is an anti-advertisement. It will drive away the people it's designed to appeal to.

Anyone who does some art doesn't want to see the elements of their art crushed. A better ad would just be one artist after another placing the materials of their art into the ipad and it magically gobbles them all up.

I identify with that last doll, whose eyes pop out of its head in bewilderment and distress as he gets his head crushed.

Why is nobody swapping last names?
Doesn't get you anything that compound name doesn't do better. :dunno:

Last edited:
This absolutely bizarre iPad advertisement

Is there such a thing as the opposite of an advertisement?
I watched it (the whole Apple presentation) from end to end. The crushing part was great and came across as I expect Apple wanted it to: iPad can do all of these things in 5.1 mm. Hardcore traditionalists may see it differently. Who is Apple appealing to? Professional with money and who like technology.

• Also double names
  • Or just no change
Your first three options give all members of the family the same last name, which is convenient when dealing with kids. Around here, other people tend to assume people with a different last name are not related to a child and create big hassles for the family.

No change is easy. Changing both may be balanced and fair, but it is a big hassle and has no upsides. There are many other ways to show commitment.

I'm determined to think of an exception.

The first that occurs to me is this. Some people have a really hard time admitting they were wrong. They might know it, and take active steps to correct for it, but never say it in so many words. For those people, making amends is easier than saying, "I'm sorry."

The first that occurs to me is this. Some people have a really hard time admitting they were wrong. They might know it, and take active steps to correct for it, but never say it in so many words. For those people, making amends is easier than saying, "I'm sorry."
Or, you know, a mute person will more easily raise their hand.

There's one!

Your first three options give all members of the family the same last name, which is convenient when dealing with kids. Around here, other people tend to assume people with a different last name are not related to a child and create big hassles for the family.

No change is easy. Changing both may be balanced and fair, but it is a big hassle and has no upsides. There are many other ways to show commitment.
For the kids, that is again a cultural thing. In the Spanish world that already works different, and you can give the kids still a double name.

But anyways, it's not that relevant :).

You can sometimes wipe a smudge off of someone else's face more quickly than you can verbally direct them to where it is located.

Hey, that's a good one. But you got to admit there aren't very many exceptions to the saying, it seems very redundant when people use it. 99.99999% of the time it's used in a case where... yep.. of course it's easier.

It's a lot easier to watch the final 1/10 second on an accurate watch than to say you are watching it.
"Easier said than done" typically involves situations where the thing to be done is copious/difficult, it being done depends on effort or other non-certain qualities, and saying it doesn't count as progress towards completion.
Said and done can also be equal, eg: it's the same to say "done" as to do 'say:"done"'.

In other conditions, it can be "said" that doing something is impossible, because the phrasing rests on how you say it (Achilles and the tortoise; time there is impossibly tied to the tortoise still remaining ahead of Achilles).

Top Bottom