Rapture complete remake suggestions.

johny smith

Deity
I am going to start this thread for suggestions if anyone has on a new mod. This is a thread to tell me how you would like to see the religions work. This does not at all have to do what is already available. I want to make a fresh start since it has been a while. I think it has been a year with no significant code changes for example. Anyway I need some brainstorming again. This does not mean only modders. I am open to any suggestions.

I have one idea in mind so far. I want to start by adding tech channels and making unique tech trees based on the 16 aka "pagan families". But this is not a requirement just the one idea that I have been thinking about. I hope their is some interest anyway.

One of the most exciting mods I can think of and I've been trying to have is Rapture (the religions, schism elements) merged into Rise of Mankind (a better yet, with New Dawn). I have been trying exhaustively to try to see if I can make any of the modifications necessary (giving up on the schism elements and trying to just make Rapture religions modular, which you as the creator know is impossible without .dll editing). But you as the creator, you could merge them ... tell me could ... PLEASE ... I want to get mutiple the diverse religious element so much in the already extened Rise of Mankind mod, seeing how religion, and it's intricacies, is such an integral part of civilisations, and thus should be as well in CIVILIZATIONS IV.
I hope it can be done. Available for any XML help needed.

One of the most exciting mods I can think of and I've been trying to have is Rapture (the religions, schism elements) merged into Rise of Mankind (a better yet, with New Dawn). I have been trying exhaustively to try to see if I can make any of the modifications necessary (giving up on the schism elements and trying to just make Rapture religions modular, which you as the creator know is impossible without .dll editing). But you as the creator, you could merge them ... tell me could ... PLEASE ... I want to get mutiple the diverse religious element so much in the already extened Rise of Mankind mod, seeing how religion, and it's intricacies, is such an integral part of civilisations, and thus should be as well in CIVILIZATIONS IV.
I hope it can be done. Available for any XML help needed.

I merged the RevDCM dll with the changes I had but it may be buggy still. If you want to try out changing xml here it is. I am open to changing any of it.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=14028

That will deal will the dll to get the changes I have in, but I was still testing it more. If you turn the schisms off from the prophet and remove the automatic schism dates it will remove schisms.

In the assets/modules/rapture/control folder there is 2 files I think you need to change.

Rapture_Civ4UnitInfos.xml there is line.

<bReligiousSchism>1</bReligiousSchism>
change it to
<bReligiousSchism>0</bReligiousSchism>

That takes care of the prophet mission.

Then move B_Denominations_CIV4ReligionInfo.xml out of the control folder and place it somewhere like unloaded modules.

That will get rid of any dates for the schisms to start.

I may of missed somethings if I had I will try to help more. That will keep the aka "pagan" things in effect still. I don't know what you want to do with them at this point.

I have no clue what is in the New Dawn dll so I am going to let Affordress try it if he wants it. Otherwise I need to just wait till he gets a break to know what to do with it.

Sorry it is late where I am at. Again I will explain more if you are wanting to convert the xml.

OK I have a really unstable Rapture(just religions) merged with Rise of Mankind and a new Dawn. It runs. Still lots of XML error.

What dll are you using? The New Dawn dll? The xml tags for civilizations to begin with religions or buildings to found religions are not in New Dawn. So if you want to remove those tags you will need to go through the xml and delete some more, or either just use the RevDCM Rapture merged dll I made.

The SDK sources are included in my file and Affordress is aware of them. If you want them in New Dawn you need to talk to him. I can not help anymore really with New Dawn merging.

I am have some better ideas to completely redo this now. I have some more of the moving city camp code now from faichele and I am going to expand the game before cities and give unique tech trees. That is for sure now. If anyone has any other suggestions let me know.

its on your merged RevDCM ... and youre right, REDO is the word. Merging is wishful thinking - I am still gonna tinker about with what I have, but where is SpreadsReligion as an XML tag defined?

Just like default game for normal spread. It is in the religioninfos.xml. But Rapture has something new for pagan religions. If a religion has the "<bPagan>1" then it does not spread like normal religions. It can not spread if pagan without a unit that spreads the religion. And of course when the civilizationinfos has the added religion to the civ everytime you build a city you automatically gain that religion in your city.

The mod was never really complete though. I just want to expand backwards in time for it. At this point I am thinking of maybe even ending it around 1000 BC. I mean until at least I get that part done then later revisit later religions.

I was trying to make my own religion mod when I ran into trouble and found this. I don't know how to edit the tga file. Anyway, now that I see this, I'm simply going to rip off portions of your graphical work for my purposes.

My desire is this: since I play with 35-50 civs, 7 religions just isn't enough. Hence, I wish to expand to 21-25 usable religions per game. Would you be able, or willing to assist me with any problems I might encounter? I would appreciate it.

I love your graphics, by the way.

On a different note, later on, I'd like to make a mafia mod. The mafia's would function just like religions or corporations (and existing at the same time as them), but where a dozen or so different organizations exist, and they traffic in alcohol, drugs, blood diamonds, and whores and even grant their own unique guerrilla units which would be hidden nationality--basically privateers on land. To counter the new crime problem, the civs would be permitted access to a generic SWAT unit that would receive bonuses against the mercs. Of course, the numbers of allowable mafia units would have to be capped and dis-barred from capturing cities, but it would be a fantastic way to wage "guerrilla war" against a neighboring civ (killing their units, plundering their improvements, etc...)

New resources could include: tobacco, cocaine, marijuana, whores, and alcohol which could be found through either terrain or through the presence of buildings (ala Broadway type of effect).

I would make it so that the presence of a mafia in your city might grant some money (along with the military benefits), but it would come at the cost of increased unhappiness and disease.

New buildings might include such things as breweries, brothels and opium dens.

Mafia organizations could include:
Yakuza
Triads
Junta
Bloods
Crips
Cartels
Cosa Nostra
Medellin
Le Milieu
The Five Points
Kosher Nostra
Tong
etc...

I don't have any graphical skills, but perhaps this might catch your interest.

Well to start with on the tga files. I think you will run into problems with the BtS tga files. The limit was raised by the WoC tga for this mod. I could help if perhaps with it if needed, but I first recommend using some dll that has at least the WoC Lite changes. A link to it is below to WoC Lite.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=12149

On the mafia idea it sounds interesting, but I do not think my skills at buildings are that great. I made a few buildings though, but a lot of these in this mod are from others. I did make all of the units though if that is of any help.

I need to think over your mod idea though. I mean I know I could do some of the art, but time is always a issue to do things. Right now I am working on the stone age idea that never got finished for Rapture. If you want help the fastest from anyone I recommend you find some photos of what you would like for someone to make a model of in the game. The biggest part at least for me artwise is finding good examples to work with.

Thanks for the response. I'm not worried about the Mafia mod yet, as I'm just trying to get my religion mod working. As to the tga file, I remember doing this sort of thing back with civ2 using mspaint, but that was before alpha channels (which I don't know what they are).

I don't want to use a dll, bcz I don't know how to modify/combine them (I use only 1 dll, which is a 50 civ dll). As to the tga, do you know how many icons I could add without the dll? I just need to be able to about 18 religions (to get to 25).

Also, how do you tell civ where to look on the file for the graphics you added?

Top Bottom