RawSasquatch/Kramer's New Civilizations

Guess what's finally finished!

California Republic - William B. Ide

Downloads (v1):
Steam Workshop|Civfanatics

Unique Ability: Eureka
During :c5goldenage: Golden Ages, all tiles that yield at least 1 :c5gold: Gold also yield +1 :c5science: Science.
Unique Unit: Great Filmmaker
Replaces the Great Writer. Creates Great Works unique to California that provide +1 :c5happy: Global Happiness to the owner, and Political Treatises that are 50% more effective.
Unique Unit: Expeditionary
Replaces the Lancer. Heavily repurposed into a Recon Unit more skilled at scouting than fighting. No Movement Penalties in rough terrain, +1 Sight, +1 Sight while embarked, and is unlocked earlier at the cost of -1 :c5moves: Movement and -5 :c5strength: Strength.
Musical Credits:
Peace Theme - "California Red Woods Concerto", preformed by Rudi Peichert
War Theme - "California Über Alles", preformed on a string quartet by SIX ROCKStrings

Here's a screenshot album. And a Reddit post.

Nope, no built-in support for Civ IV Traits. Heck, I'm still not even sure on how to properly implement support for that mod, though rest assured I'll do my best to include it in future updates/releases.

I'd just copy JFD's SQL file for compatibility, but replacing things with the proper stuff.

Spoiler :

--=======================================================================================================================
-- Leader_SharedTraits
--=======================================================================================================================
CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS
Leader_SharedTraits (
LeaderType text REFERENCES Leaders(Type) default null,
TraitOne text REFERENCES Policies(Type) default null,
TraitTwo text REFERENCES Policies(Type) default null);

INSERT OR REPLACE INTO Leader_SharedTraits
(LeaderType, TraitOne, TraitTwo)
VALUES ('LEADER_JFD_LUDWIG', 'POLICY_CHARISMATIC_X', 'POLICY_INDUSTRIOUS_X');
-- Leaders
UPDATE Leaders
SET Description = (CASE WHEN EXISTS(SELECT Type FROM Policies WHERE Type = 'POLICY_PHILOSOPHICAL_X' )
THEN 'Ludwig II [ICON_HAPPINESS_1][ICON_PRODUCTION]'
ELSE 'TXT_KEY_LEADER_JFD_LUDWIG' END)
WHERE Type = 'LEADER_JFD_LUDWIG';

CREATE TRIGGER CivIVTraitsBavaria
AFTER INSERT ON Leaders WHEN 'LEADER_JFD_LUDWIG' = NEW.Type
BEGIN
UPDATE Leaders
SET Description = (CASE WHEN EXISTS(SELECT Type FROM Policies WHERE Type = 'POLICY_PHILOSOPHICAL_X' )
THEN 'Ludwig II [ICON_HAPPINESS_1][ICON_PRODUCTION]'
ELSE 'TXT_KEY_LEADER_JFD_LUDWIG' END)
WHERE Type = 'LEADER_JFD_LUDWIG';
END;

I assume California dude would be like, Expansive and Financial or something. I am not sure what the part about the Philosophical traits are, but all of them include that tidbit so I assume just leave that alone.

Thanks for pointing that out, Viregel, I forgot about the signature. And it's not a serious Deutschland Uber Alles-type nationalist anthem, no matter how entertaining that would be, it's a punk song from the 80s comparing Jerry Brown to a dictator and speculating about atrocities committed in a hippie-fascist-Californian-dictatorship. (It's the suede/denim Secret Police! They have come for your uncool niece!)

I have to say that I love the icon art for the Great Filmmaker. Really epitomises the Golden Age of Hollywood for me, especially with the little Dali moustache. =]

That's the old great artist from Firaxis :)

Worthy addition to the game. I love the icon and colours.

Is it? Huh. That's me told, I suppose.

Also, I really like William B. Ide's leaderscreen and DoM speech, but part of me prefers the John Muir one. Probably the vain part. =]

Ummmm.... what happened to john Muir, and more importantly, to Donstamos?

#1: Muir's an alternative leader. Check the imgur album.

#2: I consumed his flesh, and after that his soul.

I'm still here :)

I'm also glad to have helped with the California (and CSA) mods, and will continue to help out as I can. I've suggested some other Events and Decisions for RawSasquatch to consider earlier in the thread (and do so in JFD's if something comes to me), and I will be contributing more mythical creatures to JFD's Cultural Diversity, including a new batch this weekend. Might also see about whipping up some missing pedia stuff for Cascadia, depending on time.

*edit*

btw, more importantly? I do what I can, but RawSasquatch does all the heavy lifting for the mods! Coding, testing, etc > a few little pedia items! RawSasquatch is a champ! :p

I'm still here :)

I'm also glad to have helped with the California (and CSA) mods, and will continue to help out as I can. I've suggested some other Events and Decisions for RawSasquatch to consider earlier in the thread (and do so in JFD's if something comes to me), and I will be contributing more mythical creatures to JFD's Cultural Diversity, including a new batch this weekend. Might also see about whipping up some missing pedia stuff for Cascadia, depending on time.

*edit*

btw, more importantly? I do what I can, but RawSasquatch does all the heavy lifting for the mods! Coding, testing, etc > a few little pedia items! RawSasquatch is a champ! :p

Yeah, but you are the CEO of donstamos creative, inc.

@Scapegrace: well, that would explain your wonderful ideas...;)

Vermont would totally be a great civ for this because they'd be perfectly suited to an unusual playstyle of completely sucking up and giving everything to another civ. Something like

UA: The Reluctant Republic - Enter a We Love the King Day for the duration of a Defensive Pact with a larger civilization. Selling cities to these civs begins a Golden Age and adds the yields of those city tiles to the Capital.

So basically your goal is to frantically make the most powerful civilizations on the map even more powerful. ^.^

That's... a really, really interesting idea. You can basically get the Hanging Gardens of Babylon in your capital for the cost of a Settler and a terrible Tundra City, and you can do it lots because of how much the AI likes to expand. It's a great take on an OCC Civ. =]

Here's a slightly expanded version.

Vermont Republic (Thomas Chittenden)
Start Bias: Grassland
UA: Stella Quarta Decima
Selling Cities you founded to other Major Civilizations grants you the yields of all the tiles worked by that City and 25% of the :c5citizen: Population in the :c5capital: Capital. Settlers have +1 :c5moves: Movement and ignore Terrain penalties.
UU: Green Mountain Boys (replaces Musketman)
+33% :c5strength: Combat Bonus when attacking fortified units and ignores Terrain penalties. If this unit reaches level 10, a Unique Unit from a Civilization not in the game or available from City-States spawns in the :c5capital: Capital.
UB: Constitution House (replaces Palace)
Standard Palace Slots. Contains an additional slot for a :greatwork: Great Work of Writing. +1 to all yields for each :greatwork: Great Work and Theming Bonus in the Empire (stacks with God-King).
---
Hopefully that's of use. Plus, hey, Palace replacement! Noice. =]

I mentioned it jokingly in another thread, but I wouldn't mind seeing a New England civ. If I remember my American History correctly, prior to the war of 1812, New England wanted to secede from the US due to their not wanting to adhere to the US's trade embargoes with England. A quick Wikipedia search could probably tell me for certain, but who has time for all that toilsome typing and reading. I'd love to see someone's (Scapegrace's :please:) ideas for such a civ.

I mentioned it jokingly in another thread, but I wouldn't mind seeing a New England civ. If I remember my American History correctly, prior to the war of 1812, New England wanted to secede from the US due to their not wanting to adhere to the US's trade embargoes with England. A quick Wikipedia search could probably tell me for certain, but who has time for all that toilsome typing and reading. I'd love to see someone's (Scapegrace's :please:) ideas for such a civ.

Led by Bill Belichick? Or some other Patriots connection, I'd like that, haha...

Well, uh, this is a little awkward. I was actually planning a Vermont civ in secret, but you guys have forced the cat out of the bag a little prematurely. I didn't have too strong of a design, though, so we can at least combine some of Scapegrace's wonderful ideas with this mess:

Vermont Republic (Ethan Allen)
Start Bias: Forest
UA: These Green Mountains
Forest tiles in your territory may spawn a unique Apple Bonus Resource. (Very high yields, think a stationary Sioux Buffalo.) Upon improving this a copy of this resource, it may be removed from the map and converted into a unique Luxury Resource (Cider, probably. I was also planning for a Maple resource alongside the Apple that could be improved into Syrup, but CL's Expansion Pack is going to have a Maple resource of its own).
UU: Green Mountain Boy (replaces Musketman)
Claims any Forts, Citadels, or neutral tiles it enters for 1 turn or as long as it remains on the tile. 20% Attacking bonus vs Fortified units.
UB: Tavern (replaces Stone Works)
Boosts local Happiness, and each source of Apple or Wheat worked by the city provides +1 Production and +1 Culture. City must have at least one of these resources improved nearby with a Plantation or Farm.

Two very different focuses, I see. I like the creativity of Scapegrace's design, but it seems like it would be veeery difficult for the AI to play. (And for the average Steam Workshop knuckle-dragger to play. And to code.) Given that the Old Constitution House IS a Tavern, it seems like we can sort of mash those two up a bit, though. Additionally, TPangolin already did a lovely icon for the civ a while back:

And I more-or-less finished Ethan Allen's scene (though his face is still a bit wonky).
Spoiler :

Top Bottom