RawSasquatch/Kramer's New Civilizations

I have an idea for Kurdish UA:
Spirit of Kurdistan
Double Defensive terrain bonus and double movement on hills. Receive culture from killing enemy units in your territory. Gun units receive the "Spirit of Kurdistan" promotion, giving them combat bonus based on your culture output when a war is declared on you.

Wow, you guys got a lot of stuff done while I was hibernating, huh? I suppose you didn't see the rough draft for Kurdistan that I put into the OP in place of Scotland, but it was incomplete, anyway. We can merge the two ideas and make them work. But first, let me address the icon. I love it, COF! I also quite like the color scheme, but a few things I'd like to say: 1, I might want to include both the more unique Eagle that you've made that icon around as well as the more recognizable Kurdish Sun, ala JFD's Armenia having 2 icons included. 2, I won't be able to test it out in-game for quite a while, but if you're concerned about contrast, perhaps making the icon a bright shade of yellow as opposed to a dark shade of green would help. Either way, it's an awesome icon you did!

Now, onto the actual balance: I do love that design, but I wholly intend to include the Peshmerga as a unique unit, so something's gotta give. Either we get rid of the Carduchoi, and lose both our early-game military relevance and our synchronicity with the UA's hill bonus, or we get rid of the Citadel and lose our enhanced bonus to Mountains. I cast my vote against the Carduchoi, because we could easily give some of its bonuses to the Peshmerga instead. Also, that city list is awesome! Though I'm on the fence as to whether we should call the capital by its correct Kurdish name, Hewlêr, or by its much more recognizable English name of Erbil. (I share your sentiments about Batman, rest assured.) And that DOM is great, but it's a bit short. It's a wonderful start, however! Very good work, Scapegrace!

Now, onto the subject of music. I found some playlists of Classical Kurdish Music, but I haven't had the time to sit down and listen to all the songs, though the first track in that video (0:00-3:56 - "Sar Aghaz") sounds quite lovely, and might work as a peace theme if none of the others work out better. But, to put everything together into a solid working design:

Kurdistan - Mustafa Barzani
Unique Ability: No Friends But The Mountains
Defensive Terrain Bonuses on Hill Tiles are doubled. Gain +1 :c5culture: Culture in the :c5capital: Capital for every three Mountain tiles within your borders.
Unique Unit: Peshmerga
Replaces Infantry. Moves at double speed through Hills, can cross Mountains with no attrition damage, and provides a small boost of :tourism: Tourism with all civs upon Liberating a city.
Unique Building: Hewlêr Citadel (Could use a better name on second thought, given that the Citadel is already an existing improvement. Hewlêr Tell?)
Replaces Walls. +5 :c5strength: City Strength, +50 Health. Allows Mountains in this city to be worked for +1 :c5production: Production and +1 :c5food: Food; bonuses doubled if the City is founded on a Hill. +1 :c5strength: Strength per Mountain in working range.

Responses? Critiques? Suggestions? All are welcome, as there's still plenty of time before I even get started on this, let alone finish the civ.

That is a sexy Kurdistan.

Yet, the UA isn't powerful enough...

Well yeah, but that's a measure that combines flavour with balance.

It emphasises a style of play that you simply don't see very often; hugging the mountains. Your UB synergizes well with it, and the mountains in question don't have to be in workable range of your cities; they just have to be in your empire. Let's say you get a nice defensive mountain range near your start - like, your second city has six Mountain tiles in workable range. With the UB as it was originally intended (I don't think you can futz around with making Mountain tiles workable too much), that's a free Hanging Gardens in that city, plus six bonus hammers, PLUS what amounts to a free Monument in the Capital which gets the bonuses to Culture output from other buildings later on. The best part? You can rinse and repeat that. You can go wide and not worry about growing your cities nearly as much as soon as you get walls up. You can use GGs to nab defensible positions near some mountains and get an additional drip of culture, which is nice. All Natural Wonder tiles count as Mountains. Even Lake Victoria, for whatever reason that may be. You blob out, get those Mountains, get that big ol' culture pool in your capital, and rush the CN Tower as soon as you can. I mean, the CN Tower's awesome anyway, but your culture output can and will skyrocket with it.

Yes, the effect could be stronger - +1 Culture in all cities rather than just the capital, for instance - but with a UB that strong and a UU that's a reusable, spammable Great Musician, I'm not convinced it really needs to be. We want these Civs to be high-tier, but not all-powerful. Nobody likes OPness. =]

hm, I think it could be +1 Culture per mountain without being too game breaking, most games I've played don't have too many mountain tiles to begin with.
Granted though, that may be due to the kinds of maps I play, but still...

An idea could be:
Gain +1 Culture in the Capital for every three Mountain tiles within your borders and newly founded cities claim nearby mountain tiles.

This way you further encourages the player to 'mountain hugging' (Scapegrace™). Maybe it could be argued that it should be +1 culture for every two mountain tiles instead, but it would have to be tested to find the balance I think.

Yeah, the "Cities auto-claim mountain tiles" thing would actually be very useful for this Civ as it stands, especially since - as was pointed out earlier - all the Natural Wonders count as Mountains. Add in going back to the original UB design and you have a very powerful Civ that's checked by not having many good tiles to work. Other benefits of having mountains for friends include it being damned near impossible to take any of your cities, being able to build Observatories wherever you want, and Neuschwanstein being an excellent wonder to beeline for since the AI sucks at building it and you've got your unique Walls replacement everywhere as a matter of necessity since you have fewer Food tiles to work with.

Hug the mountains, they are your friends. =]

Yeah, the "Cities auto-claim mountain tiles" thing would actually be very useful for this Civ as it stands, especially since - as was pointed out earlier - all the Natural Wonders count as Mountains. Add in going back to the original UB design and you have a very powerful Civ that's checked by not having many good tiles to work. Other benefits of having mountains for friends include it being damned near impossible to take any of your cities, being able to build Observatories wherever you want, and Neuschwanstein being an excellent wonder to beeline for since the AI sucks at building it and you've got your unique Walls replacement everywhere as a matter of necessity since you have fewer Food tiles to work with.

Hug the mountains, they are your friends. =]

Ooooo... are there any Sasquatchs in the mountains?
(Pelests are brilliant)

I have here a leader graphic for Kurdistan.

Spoiler not really :

And this is the icon :p

Attachments

• Fun Icon.PNG
    Fun Icon.PNG
    58.2 KB · Views: 388
Indeed. Sasquatches used to make way more noise. Sasquatches are loud.

Yeah, it's all quiet on the Western front. I don't have anything major to give you guys, but I do have 2 minor things to tide you over through the long winter:
1. I'm working on the Zapotecs alongside Colonialist Legacies. Whether it'll become a part of this thread/"my mods" like the Boers did, remains to be seen.
2. While the Dzong model still isn't 100% final, have a quick screenshot of Bhutan in action!
Spoiler :

I think I'm going to stick with the current uniques, yeah. The only change being that the Dzong yields +1 Faith and Culture for every adjacent mountain ala the Terrace Farm, not just a doubled yield for having one. But if anyone has any ideas for Decisions for Bhutan (Measure Gross National Happiness, maybe?), the Boers, and/or Texas, feel free to post them.

Boer ideas:

Spoiler :
Event: Raids
The Ndebele people raiding the city of ???? And terrifying the locals. What shall we do?
Dispatch the commando!("we love the king day" for 5 turns in ????,and garrisons provide extra :c5strength: defence bonus for 5 turns,-1 :c5moves: movement for all units and -5 :c5gold: GPT for 3 turns)
raid them back!(1 free military unit, 50% chance that ???? Loses 20% of its HP,50% chance you gain 25% :c5strength: combat bonus vs. The barbarians for 3 turns)
Event: Sand River Convention
The ???? Government has finally recognized our sovereignty.
Splendid. We shall celebrate!("we love the king day" in the capital for 12 turns, 5 turn "we love the king day" in other cities. 50% chance that a 10-turn :c5goldenage: golden age starts, 50% chance you gain x :c5culture: culture per every city conquered from ????)
we shall use this to improve our relations.(warmonger penalty reduced, all denunciations against you removed, "we love the king day" in the capital for 10 turns.)
We shall use this event to strength our influence on the world... ( gain 15 :c5influence: influence with all city states that aren't allied with a civilization, "we love the king day" in all cities for 7 turns.
Decision: start the great trek.
Requirments: must have entered the industrial era. 3 magistres.
Effects: +1 :c5production: production and :c5food: food from farms on plains and desert tiles(+1 extra :c5production: production from all farms during :c5goldenage: golden ages. Great generals receive the "Voortreker" promotion, giving extra movement to adjacent units. Receive 1 great general.
Decision: Establish the Volksraad
Requirements: player must have researched industrialization. 2 magistres, 1500 :c5gold: gold.
Rewards: one free :c5culture: social policy. A Volksraad wonder is built in the :c5capital: capital.
Volksraad
Increases the length of "we love the king day" by 50%. +1 world congress delegate. +2 :c5greatperson: Great engineer points. +4 :c5culture: culture.

I love those icons! :D

Gettin' dat Dragon Flag haip! =]

Also, while we're here, have a short-lived Civ from Africa:

Republic of Biafra (Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu)
Start Bias: Coastal
Capital: Enugu
UA: Araba War
Upon a Declaration of War, generate +1 :c5production: Production from all Strategic Resources and receive double Oil for the duration of the conflict. Armoured Units gain a +25% Combat Bonus when attacking.
UU: Red Devil (replaces Bazooka)
Radically different to, and slightly weaker than (78 :c5rangedstrength: Ranged Combat Strength vs. 85), the Bazooka it replaces, the Red Devil is considerably faster (base movement is 4), may move after attacking, starts with +1 range, is available at Combined Arms rather than Nuclear Fission, counts as an Armoured unit, and requires Oil. Additionally, it has a unique promotion, "Ogbunigwe", that allows it to deal damage (with a -67% :c5rangedstrength: Combat Penalty) to all other units within 1 hex of the target, including Cities and friendly units.
UU: Biafra Baby (replaces Helicopter Gunship)
Slightly stronger (65 :c5strength: Strength vs. 60) than the Helicopter Gunship it replaces, although slower, the Biafra Baby is also able to capture Cities - indeed, its unique promotion, "Mini-COIN", grants it a +75% :c5strength: Combat Bonus against Cities and Armoured Units. Additionally, it counts as an Armoured Unit for the purposes of the UA and starts with Survivalism I. Requires Oil rather than Aluminium.

---

A Modern/Atomic-era 'sploder of tanks... and 'sploder of everything else too, with your Red Devil wandering around. It's amazing just how useful a converted crop-duster and a tractor with some sheet steel welded to it can be, innit? =]

Biafra baby...
Dat photo of an israeli helicopter trying to evacuate people from there and then the people...
Spoiler :
get slashed in the propeller of the plain like... i better stop

Though(!!!!!!!!!)

Well, that was wholesome and entirely suited to a family friendly forum.

And on topic, considering that the Biafra Baby was a converted crop-dusting plane and not even close to an actual child.

Hm, the UUs are kinda really, really late game, that may be a problem, as most often than not you're never going to see them.

Top Bottom