RBC6 - Scrappy Sumerians (C3C Demi SG)

IHT: I switch Erech from Cathedral to University. The rest of the cities already have built markets, libraries or universities. So I let them keep building knights. Banking is in 5 the way I see it!

IT: I see a couple of Hittite galleys sail trough or seas, but for the rest all is quiet.

Turn 1 (660 AD) Four turns to Banking. Egypt is still the only one to know the tech. Clowns of Umma, Hubishna and Agade are switched to scientist. Still four turns though. A couple of scientist more still won't do it, but now I can get science to 50% with banking in 2. We lose 41 gpt with 72 gold available, but next turn we will have silk hooked up.

IT: Again no news of wonder completions around.

Turn 2 (670 AD) Banking in 1. Still only known by the Egyptians, however the Iroquois know 4 other techs now. Will we be lucky?

Lux goes to 10%, we make -4gpt and have 33 gold.

IT: All is quiet on the AI front.

Turn 3 (680 AD) We have Banking. And besides the Egyptians, we are the only one :)

So let us trade a bit:
- It is impossible to get Astronomy with Banking
- The Iroquois give Music Theory, 19 gpt, 13 gold and wm for Banking
- Sumer is swapped to Bach. We lose 23 shields...that should be worth it
- The Mongols don't want to swap Astronomy for Banking :(
- Then I notice that the Aztecs have Chemistry. They don't want to trade for Education, so I give it to them! Now I am able to buy Chemistry for Banking and Music Theory.
- Back to the Mongols. They are unwilling to trade Astronomy for Banking and Chemistry :cry: It's only a 'close to a deal'!!
-The Egyptians have at least Printing Press and Astronomy over us.

I could get Printing Press now, but I'd rather pass and hope for a possible deal next turn. But that is like believing in fairytales, because the AI can now trade themselves (tech for tech).

Science to Metallurgy now (in 8). It's a gamble, but who knows? Science goes to 60%. We make -17 gpt and have 40 gold in cash. Next turn lux can be at 0%.

IT: I should have known :( The Iroquois switch to Copernicus in London and finish it. The Hittites land an archer close to Angade, next to our elite Knight.

Turn 4 (690 AD)

Astronomy is out of the question for us. But the Mongols are willing to pay Printing Press and 18 gpt for Chemistry. I figure that we can use this money, so I make the deal.

No-one has Democracy. A bit of MM-ing and emphasizing some corrupt cities to science gives us Metallurgy in 6.

Elite knight kills the archer, no promotion.

IT: nothing much. Besides a lot of the usual Hittites sailing around.

Turn 5 (700 AD) We finish the Pentagon.

Turn 6 (710 AD)

The Zulu now also have Astronomy. I trade them Banking and Chemistry for Astronomy and 16 gpt.
The Egyptians and Iroquois have Navigation over us. The rest is level, except for the backward Hittites :p

Turn 7 (720 AD)

The Egyptians discovered Democracy. Somehow we still need 4 turns for Metallurgy...

IT: The Hittites land a spear and an archer on the same spot as a few turns ago.

Turn 8 (730 AD)

The invaders are killed, but no promotions.

Science goes to 80%. At -26 gpt we have 64 gold. Metallurgy in 2 now.

Turn 9 (740 AD)

Science back to 70%. Metallurgy in 1. This must be good news: the Iroquois and Egyptians have Physics, Democracy and Navigation :) Doing the math, we should be first to our tech.

Turn 10 (750 AD) We discover Metallurgy and get no SGL :p Still we are the first to it. This was luck, I agree. Going after Physics or Democracy would have brought me nothing.

- Egypt gives us Physics, Navigation, 137 gold and 21 gpt for Metallurgy :)
- The Zulu give us 7 gpt and 19 gold for world map
- The Mongols give us Ivory, 14 gpt and 20 gold for Navigation

Science goes to 90% which promises Military Tradition in 5! At a deficit of 32 gpt while we have 221 in cash.

The Egyptians and Iroquois have Democracy which we don't have. But we have caught up in tech and appear to be able to do some fine trading once we get our free IA tech :D

750 AD

Hi,

Would it be possible for me to to swap places with Speaker for this round? I'm swamped at work, but expect to return to "normal" after Friday.

Thanks.

-Griselda

It's refreshing to see a turn focus almost completely on self-research and how it goes... compelling reading. Impressive turn, ggie :goodjob:

I thought that the burst of tech trading after contacts were made
would put us behind, but now that we're at parity this close to end of era, a Nationalist or other slingshot will do us very well.

Gris, I see no problem with a swap for now -- good luck with work.

Charis <-- In the hole
Kylearan
Grimjack
Aggie
Griselda <-- On Deck (swapping order this round)
Speaker <-- UP (swapping order this round)

Great going. I can almost smell the cavalry shock coming up in a few turns.... :evil:

Grimjack

IT- Trade Cleopatra for an updated world map and then move it to everyone else. It costs us around 40 gold total, but most of the ocean is revealed and we get updated roads etc.

Micromanage Ur for shields, getting 25 instead of 19. On second thought, keep it micromanaged how it was--it was for gold, not food. Tonawanda's scientist gets back to work. As does Chondotes's. I generally micromanage for growth and increased shields, while still keeping MT due in 5.

With us only a few techs from the IA, I start to migrate our workers coreward.

*hit enter*

Nothing of note during the AI turns.

760AD (1): I would love to improve our defenses after this current round of infrastructure builds.

IT- Hittites offer peace and I decline. We are enjoying War Happiness. They land a SoD near Umma, consisting of a Vet Warrior and Archer.

770AD (2): Ur finishes University and the Bank can wait. I'd like to get a few Musketmen running around. Same with Sumer. Hittites prove useful...

He heads toward the Iroquois front to make another army.

IT- Egypt starts Shakespeare's Theater.

780AD (3): Lower research with MT still due in 2. 4th army is built and both empties are protected by the Knight army.

IT- Thebes finishes Shakespeare's Theater. That must have been an SGL.

790AD (4): Lower science with MT due next turn.

Uh, Egypt has a LOT of cash...

We agree on 33gpt.

800AD (5): Finish Military Tradition and start Theory of Gravity, due in 5 at a loss of 10gpt. Egypt will pay 150gpt and 350 gold for MT. We have no need for Democracy/Free Artistry that I can see, so I take the money. Egypt has no saltpeter, as it were, so I doubt we'll see the balance of power shift much on the other continent. I rush the Barracks in Panama East for easy upgrades. I am able to MM Lagash to 20spt, for a Cavalry every 4.

IT- Hittites land an archer near Tonawanda.

810AD (6): Kill the archer but do not get a great leader. Upgrade a bunch of Knights and Trebuchets.

IT- Watch an Aztec Knight slaughter a Mongol Longbow.

820AD (7): Nothing much. Sumer unfortunately is at 19spt with no hopes of 20. It goes on a Bank instead of wasting so many shields.

830AD (8): Cavalry army is made.

IT- Oops, fail to notice a Hittite spearman that was dropped off and he pillages a road.

840AD (9): Kill him with an elite Knight, but no MGL. Iroquois and Egyptians have each researched one of ToG and Magnetism and traded them, so they are now in the Industrial Age. The rest of the world is really backward. We will make 542 gold this turn, however. Cha ching! I rush 3 courthouses in celebration of our windfall.

850AD (10): Finish ToG and start Magnetism. Rush a few buildings.

Conclusion- Pretty easy, uneventful turns. 8 of our 9 top shield producers are now cranking out Cavalry, with Sumer on a bank because I can't bear to waste so many shields. 4 more turns of peace left with the Iroquois and then Griselda will get some serious :hammer:.

PS- I have left the Musketman in Ur active in case you would like to poke around without accidentally advancing to the the next turn.

Gris: Get Scrappy!

I'm here. I took a swap in two, so was up in two. I've got it now, and will play as soon as I can (not tonight, though, it's late).

Sorry for the delay. Let's get scrappy!

-Griselda

Yup, parade ground marches can get you only so far....
Grimjack

Whoops, missed you post indeed, Speaker. :crazyeye:

Four armies, two of them with cavalry, in the pre-rifleman age? I love it! :D

And it's amazing how stubbornly the Hitties land outdated units in the same spot over and over again! I wonder how long it will take for them to bring something more modern?

-Kylearan

Just wanted to let you all know the game isn't stalled. I got scrappy, so it too a little while longer than expected. I met with some resistance, which made for interesting turns. In any case, the writeup will be better if I wait until tomorrow to post. Here's something to look at in the mean time:

-Griselda :hammer:

I see someone have been having fun with cannons :)

Grimjack

lurker comment:

I still can't believe you guys have so many armies in the *knight* era to have the pentagon built. Reminds me of RBP1 - Celtic Light Infantry, where we had enough armies of Gallic Swords to have the Pentagon built :)

Back to lurking...

Hey falsfire, good to see ya :wavey:

I knew we would be scrappy, but holy cow, we've taken "scrappy" to a new level of... scrappiness! And if the
Infantry game didn't do it to her, Griselda is now a bona-fide seasoned *warmonger* :eep: (don't tell Mr G!)

Between the new power of the army and the number of MGL/armies we've gotten here and RBC7, it's making my head swim! In C3C, being scrappy rules!

:D
Charis

RBC6 - to 950 AD

(0) 850 AD - Everything looks nice. :)

BT - Agade uni - rax. Zab library - courthouse. Hubishna(?) library - rax. Actually not sure what to do with that one. Its neighboring cities look salvageable, but I'm thinking that one's going to be fully corrupt. Der library - granary.

(1) 860 AD - Cavs to Panama E. It looks like I'm set up quite nicely up there, thanks! Our galley explores the black tiles a bit, in case we find an island somewhere.

BT - Lagash cav - cav. Kish cav - cav. Erech cav - bank. Egypt start's Smith's - on a one-tile island! :lol: A volcano erupts and destroys Heliopolis.

(2) 870 AD - Load fourth cav into Panama East army, and start loading cavs into the empty army too.

BT - Ur cav - cav. Isin cav - bank.

(3) 880 AD - Science to 50%, magnetism in 1. Lagash swaps to muskets. We need defenders. I move Lagash's current musket to the front. I upgrade a pike at Panama West, and send in a pike and enkidu from a nearby city.

BT- Magnetism in, and we're industrial! Umma cav - rifle. Looks like we got nationalism! Palace expands.

(4) 890 AD - Well, it's hard to do a nationalism slingshot when the AI only really has economics and deomcracy. We don't need to use nationalism to get those, with so many civs still lacking middle age techs. I don't want to waste our free tech's brokering value, but I don't want to give it away, either. We are first to nationalism, by the way.

I try to decide whether to research medicine or steam. Steam power would be more immediately useful, but we're more likely to end up with a monopoly on medicine (whether it will be worth enough to get steam power is another question, of course!). Still, I think we're better off taking the road less traveled, so I go for medicine at 100%. That's 6 turns at +53 gpt. [dance]

We no longer have any active deals with the Iroquois, either. Also, I know they'll be getting to nationalism very soon now. So, if we're going to strike, it has to be now. We declare war, then move our units in. Our target? Salmanca! It's a reasonable distance from Panama, has the Pyramids, and it's the target that will be the most painful to them considering this may not be a long war. HV-1, here we come!

Our cav army (maybe both) can reach the mountain north of Salmanca this turn. The others head to the closer mountain. We see a pike and longbow by the closer mountain. Salmanca is defended by a musket, so they must be getting saltpeter from somewhere. I wonder whether I should focus on cutting off their trade route or taking the capitol? We may not be able to do both. We'll see what kind of units they send out. I'm guessing they haven't had saltpeter for long, and they may not have had the time to build much.

Upgrade two muskets at Panama West.

Trade gems + 11 gpt to the Aztecs for furs. We'll likely be glad we have the extra lux here shortly.

BT- A privateer comes out of the fog and sinks our galley. I cav attacks Panama east. A knight and the longbow and pike move up. Tippecanoe cav - rifle.

(5) 900 AD - At Panama East, I bombard the pike to 2, and kill it with a MDI. I only saw that one cav, and soon enough Salmanca will be defended by rifles. We need to take the city now, not worry about pillaging the saltpeter. On the other hand, they appear to have only one source of horses, and it's nearby! Perfect.

I draft at Panama West, then send out a pillage crew covered by a vet rifle. It's mostly cannons and the rifle, but there's a few MDI that can join up with the Salmanca forces or pick off units.

I get too cocky, though, since I didn't see many Iro units last turn. I leave a sword uncovered in our territory by Panama E, because I know the knight I can see can't reach him. I also have a couple cavs and a knight that I'm trying to get to the mountain by Salmanca. I leave them on that jungle tile without a defender, because at least there they'll have the river to protect them in some directions. If Salmanca had troops to move out, I would have seen them, right?

BT - Well, I miscalcualted. A cav pops out from the York area and kills that uncovered sword. A second cav from the York area attacks our knight that was trying to get to Salmanca. We win, and get a great leader. They attack again and again, though, and we lose all three units on the tile, and our leader. Easy come, easy go, right?

Lagash rifle - rifle.

(6) 910 AD - Well, let's see what Salmanca's got. Our 16 point cav army attacks Salmanca's vet musket. We win, taking 6. Another vet musket is showing. Our other 16/16 cav army attacks, and wins after taking 6. One promotes. Another vet musket shows. Our 11/17 army attacks and wins, but goes down to 4. Another vet musket shows. I guess I sholdn't have expected anything else in a capitol city. The 10/16 army attacks, and wins without taking damage, leaving another vet musket.

We're clearly not going to take the capitol this turn, and there's some wounded knights around that killed our leader. I pick off two knights, leaving two armies on the jungle. I think the armies are safe there. Our pillage crew pillages the horses.

War weariness shows up already. I'm pretty sure that's all Iroquois, since we had no Hittite WW and haven't seen any Hittite units. They've been sailing some galleys around, but the privateers are attacking them. :lol:

Both the Aztecs and the Zulu have economics and democracy, but no cash. The Aztecs would trade economics for military tradition, but the Zulu want magnetism or ToG for economics. Also, the Aztecs would trade economics and democracy for military tradition and magnetism, but the Zulu are "doubtful" on the same trade. Since the Aztecs will not trade democracy straight across for magnetism, the two-tech trade seems like it would give us the best value. So, military tradition and magnetism to the Aztecs for economics, democracy, and world map.

The Aztecs have hooked up their saltpeter now. I notice that the Mongols have lost Tabriz to the Aztecs, and no longer have iron. They have saltpeter and horses, for the time being, but no military tradition. I decide to give the Mongols a little boost to prevent a takeover by the Aztecs or Egypt. So, military tradition to the Mongols for free artistry. There's pollution on an Aztec volcano. Does that mean it's getting ready to erupt? I can't think of why else there would be pollution this early.

No civ has tech that we don't have. We still have a monopoly on nationalism, but I'm guessing the AI will be researching that.

BT- Panama East is attacked twice, and we lose our conscript rifle. Panama West is attacked twice by units leaving Salmanca, and we lose both times. We're down to an Enkidu on top, and- no more attackers come! Whew!

Ur cav - rifle. Sumer bank - rifle. Kish cav - rifle. Akshak cav - cav. Zulu start Smith's.

(7) 920 AD - At Panama East, there's now a stack of 3 pikes, 3 regular longbows, and 1 vet cav. There are two knights, each on a different tile. At least the Iro shouldn't have horses any more unless they've traded for some. Panama East is in real danger this turn, though. I bombard the three pikes, missing once. A attack the healthy regular pike with a cav, and lose, doing only one damage to the pike. :mad: I attack a pike (wounded vet, I think) with a MDI and win. Then, I attack another (wounded vet again, iirc) pike with our elite MDI and lose. That's all the attackers we have, and we didn't soften them up much at all. There are 6 units that are likely to attack Panama E this turn, and we have less units than that in the city, and most aren't strong defenders.

I draft at both Panamas, and pull defenders from Tonawanda and Allegheny (leaving them undefended). I upgrade two vet pikes at Panama East. That leaves 3 cannons, 2 vet rifles, 1 conscript rifle, 1 vet MDI, and 1 vet musket vs the Iroquois 3 reg longbows, 1 vet cav, and 2 knights. That's a better situation than it was earlier this turn, but still iffy.

At Panama West, our vet conscript rifle can attack one of two redlined cavs that are stacked. I do and win, but don't promote. I upgrade an Enkidu there.

The battle for Salmanca has the benefit of a guest general, Dwip, who happens to be at the house while all this is going on. He was drawn over by me talking to the screen, I think, and reminds me of the armies' free pillage in Conquests (thanks!). So, while we're waiting for our cav armies to heal up a bit, our knight armies can pillage around Salmanca. WIth any luck we can get their trade route cut, and stop the flow of saltpeter and horses, if they are getting them.

BT- Iroquois units pull back from Panama, and focus on Salmanca. There had been an Iro galley on our NE coast, but it turns around, either to fortify the homeland or to target our now-empty cities. Panama East is attacked, but I'm relieved when the first longbow pillages, because with that unit not attacking I don't think they can take the city even with lucky rolls.

Ur riots. I'm not sure why, because the silks are still connected, and I certainly did check F1 last turn. Does war weariness get recaluculated mid-turn now? I scroll ahead, and several other cities need to be fixed also.

Chondote library - rax. Agade rax - rifle. Kahnawake rax - rifle. Palace expands.

(8) 930 - The first couple of turns were scary, but the situation feels better now. Kill a longbow and pillage with our knight army. Our other knight army kills two cavs. Salmanca is connected to the rest of the world by only two tiles, and we have units on both of them. I can't remember, though- I think that means their trade route is still connected until the roads actually get pillaged? Lux to 10% to fix happiness. At Panama East, I bombard a pike until it's redlines. I kill it with a MDI, exposing a wounded longbow.

We are still short on defenders. I pull some muskets out of core cities and send them to the front. This means we're short in the core, but units haven't been landing, we have some offense back home, and we can replace them quickly if we need to.

I rethink the lux tax. We probably will lose the silks this turn. We could kill most of the pillaging units, but we couldn't have a defender cover the exposed units, or even cover the tile, so I don't think we can prevent it just yet. Let's go with 20% lux and leave an extra happy cushion in each city in case of strange mid-turn WW or loss of silks. Four police at Panama East means a courthouse in 17. Three at Panama West means 18 turns until the courthouse. A specialist is needed at Tonawanda for happy cushion. I do try running all these specialists as scientists, but it's not enough to make a difference, so I run police and taxmen.

The Iroquois will talk already, and will give an island city for peace. Sorry, Hi, but only Salmanca will do. Egypt has nationalism.

BT - Sure enough, those silks are pillaged. The rifle guarding our pillage stack is killed, but luckily there are more units to guard the cannons. Akshak riots. Once again, I know I checked everything before I hit next turn. It's possible that I missed just that one city, but I really think that it was fine last turn.

(9) 940 AD - Our attack and pillage crews have come together, and our cav armies have healed! Bombard Salmanca, with only one success. It's still a vet musket on top. Our cav armies are at 13/17 and 12/17 now. We attack with the 13/17 and win, taking 6. Now, it's a regular musket on top (progress, finally!). We attack with the 12/17, and take 2, leaving a wounded vet showing. Attack again with the 10/17 and win, taking 0 damage. Now there's a vet pike showing. Attack with the knight army (it was SW of the city because it was pillaigng) and win, taking one. Regular pike showing. Knight army attacks again and captures the city! [dance]

Meanwhile, the Iro had unloaded two cavs by Allegheny, the city I'd left undefended. We kill both, but lose 1 MDI. We also are finally able to kill the knight on our silks. We kill the Iro longbow.

The Iroquois now have Nationalism, for what it's worth, which might explain why they had 0 gold left for us to liberate. They just got it this turn. The Zulu have some gpt to offer for magnetism, which the Aztecs have. I wish we had embassies so I could tell who was at war. I think I'll wait a turn and see if the deal gets sweeter.

Science to 20%, medicine in 1.

BT - Cav pops out of Grand River and kills our exposed cav (sheesh, didn't I learn my lesson about that?). The cav makes it back into Grand River. A knight attacks Salmanca and loses. Medicine comes in, and the AI still lack steam power. I start samitation, but it's very vetoable.

There were 9 resistors in Salmanca, and 8 are quelled this turn. Our culture is much better than that of the Iroquois, oddly enough.

Umma rifle - rifle. Tendenaga 'duct - market. Caugnawaga rax - market. Our ivory deal ends.

(10) 950 - Kill musket and longbow with knight army. Kill longbow with our cav mountain army (I'm still holding that mountain tile, because I don't want attackers there). We have a few assorted units fortified in Salmanca and the Panamas that have movement left, so the next leader can take a look and decide whether to press on, and how far. I wouldn't sell the granaries just yet, of course, but we may be able to do so at some point. There's rifle selected that's moved one tile along a road, but everyone else should be fresh if it's listed at 3/3 or whatever.

The Aztecs and Zulu are industrial, but have no industrial techs and are broke. I guess I should have taken that Zulu deal last turn. Egypt lacks medicine and will pay all her gpt (103). The Mongols lack 3 middle age techs. They need the ivory deal renewed. The Hittites continue to be lame. They landed no units. WW is about 35%, and I think it's all Iroquois WW.

We have to raise the lux for unhappy Umma, because it would starve otherwise. Science is at 60%, that's +31 gpt and Sani in 8. We don't have any beakers invested yet, so feel free to veto that.

I'm guessing that the Iro trade route was never completely severed, so they may still be importing saltpeter. They have nationalism, so the salt is only an issue if they have found somebody to sell them horses. If not, I'm not sure they have any cavs besides the one in Grand River and any knights they upgrade. I was constantly slightly overestimating or underestimating their capabilities, but that's probably par for the course.

Their new capitol is Ganogeh, up to the north a bit. So, their prodiction should be limited a bit in the cities around Salmanca.

Let's get Scrappy!

Nice job Gris. :goodjob:

FYI to the next leader: Egypt has 103gpt (not market price) to offer for Medicine, and will be finished with 188gpt of payments in 5 turns. I suggest either taking the 103gpt for Medicine and then taking back the 188gpt with our next tech, or waiting and getting the whole 291gpt with the next tech. Regardless, we should probably up our science rate and operate at a deficit. We can save a turn on Sanitation easily. The Mongols also have Ivory available for an outdated MA tech, which should allow us to get Sanitation in 6.

Well done, Griselda! :hammer:

It's very good you didn't give away our hard-researched tech
cheaply. Had you sold Nationalim to anyone for example, Iro would have gotten the tech a few turns before you took the city. Smart move imho to push before they got rifles. At present, tis nice they have no cash - so no upgrades. We should only see newly built rifles and easily hit conscripts that will drag down their cities. If we can keep them from getting Cav though, I kinda doubt it's time to quit. The WW is a pita, but if they're anything near gassed it would be silly to let them heal now when they are in a vise grip. (Just a guess w/o looking at the save)

The advantage of pressing things is that once the Iro are gone we won't have a miliary worry or concern in the world, and can focus 100% on space race. Of course, it would be ok too to enter a builder phase ourself and hammer then once we get tanks, but Salamanca won't be easy to defend or keep. (Speaker I just saw your comments, and agree Sanitation soon would be very nice for us. I'm prone to watch Medicine prices for a few turns and see if Steam shows up)

Charis <-- "GOT IT" (but tired, probably won't do tonight)
Kylearan <-- On deck
Grimjack <-- In da hole
Aggie
Griselda <-- has avenged the "Iro" !
Speaker

Not only did I get a second wind, so did our invasion! :D

Salamanca is now in the hands of the Scrappy Sumerians, as just payment for their
extended insolence against our proud nation. I can see now though, how much they
would trample across our border connecting Panama to Salamanca. Can we do more, or
is it time to halt? Tough call, as the peaceniks whine on incessantly.

We're "just" 30% lux, so there is some leeway for more action. The 'power' curve is
heading in the right direction but the Iro have not seen their 'collapse' yet.
They have five wonders in the three cities of London, Mauch and Grand River.
Iro have about 20 cities overall, still way too buff. Our two knight armies will see a
big boost in effectiveness with one more cav added to each (tnx to the new Pentagon).
The Mongols have extra Ivory which could be obtained for Economics.

Hmm, Newton's not done yet? How long have they been working on it? Too long I would
have to wager. With Thebes on it, our chances are long gone.

Some minor swaps are made, extra policeman at Allegheny, etc.

[0] 950 AD - Sell Econ to Mongols for Ivory. We can go down one notch, Sanitation in 6
at break even 80-20. I load up the Knight armies with a cav each.

IBT - Ok, how much do they have left in them? Some, but not much. A cav actually
impales itself on our army at Salamance. Three others step next to it. Resistance
there ends. The musket near Panama pillages.

[1] 960 - Cleo's max payment goes down, but tech is still valuable.
On Grand River, army kills vet rifle but is rather hurt. Cav loses, cav wins.
Second army wins one. Army in Salamanca clears out 3 open units. Pillage their iron.
Temple whipped in Salamanca, as we have all intentions of keeping it.

IBT Glad they're gassed, as our units are in need of healing. Cav kills MDI,
longbow and knight and musket move up, cav loses to army, that's it.

[2] 970 - Thebes finishes Newtons - no surprise there, it's the Shakespeare city too.
Elite MDI beats cav, wins but no fish (will likely die to counter too)
Grand River's units are still hurt - no rax! In we go with hybrid army, two rifles
later and the home of the Hanging Gardens is now OURS. Hmm, that's non-obsolte for
one more tech, yay! Odd, it does have a rax. Stray units at Panama East are slain.

Smelling gas, I move workers past Panama to reconnect our road network and dyes,
covering with a rifle. IBT - No cavs come out at all. No one is selling them
horses, good.

[3] 980 - Sanitation due in 3. Three armies must heal this round, the fresh
one kills the stragglers around Salmanca (actually, he heads NE to make a pillage
run at new capital, but runs into more MDIs in fog, and takes them out.

IBT - NO new attacks, resistance in Grand River ends, Allegheny riots despite
checking it and no new attacks or change in lux status. Scroll-fix others.

[4] 990 - Armies are all healed, something is going to snap! One army heads to Oil
Springs which is isolated and should fall alone, while the other three surround
Mauch Chunk. (aka Chunka Chunka burnin Cav)

IBT Two Iro cav come from nowhere and kill a cav outside Allegheny. I hope those
are residuals, not a new source! One dies, one wins. Ship leaves Oil Springs.

[5] 1000 - Egypt's deal runs out and their Medicine offer jumps to 136gpt.
We hit Oil Springs hard (only two pikes there) and we capture it, harbor intact.
Mauch Chunk may as well be called Blowin' Chunks, as it falls to one half of one
Cav army's attacks. Cattaragus (aka Cats are out of gas) sees two rifles fall to
our Cav army, then the hybrid army kills a third and last one, and the city is
ours. Iro are dying to talk, but will only give total junk, forgetaboutit!
The Zulu can buy our extra Silks, but the Aztecs can pay more. Who do we prop
up in that Hemisphere? Aztecs power is just a tad higher. We'll pull in one more
silk next turn after temple expansion at Salamanca.

Time for some embassies - Aztecs Teno has salt, iron, horses, 19spt in size 12,
working on cav, garrison of five. Thebes is size 15, 20spt, on frigate, with iron,
horse and salt, and garrison of 27 (!!) It has five wonders. We're currently selling
the Egyptians Gems and Wines for 33gpt. Aztecs would buy the wines if extra.
I cancel Cleo's lux and sell Medicine for all she can pay, 169gpt, and make her
throw in an embargo vs Iro. Even if we could trade with them if peace comes, why?
Sell Med to Aztecs for 52gpt. Still not full market, but good price, and avoids
him buying it from Cleo. They would not sell an embargo for any price though,
so I wonder if more incoming is due?! Hmmm, I could however demand an alliance
vs Iro in this deal. I decline - it's too restrictive on our future (and next leader)
and besides, we could still buy them in for wine if we need to. Oh my, Shaka can
afford 70gpt for Med?? (Aztecs got better deal than I thought, but still tis ok,
as our income is about 500gpt before setting the sci slider.) I kick lux down to
10%. Sanitation due next turn.

IBT - No new cav, just two muskets running into open. Good!

[6] 1010 - Sanitation arrives, we start on Steam Power. Tis due in 7.
Ur and a few core cities start Hospitals. Resistance ends at Oil Springs.
Egypt has... Fascism. Cleo... I would never have guessed?!

IBT - Only a pittance of movement, resistance in Mauch Chunk ends.
BTW Egypt is not at war, and Aztecs are fighting the Mongols.

[7] 1020 - Temple rushed in Mauch. We press on to York. The hybrid army runs
into fierce resistance, and redlines before winning. Longbows are in the
area. We run the half-healthy army from Cattarugarus to cover it, and run
over a decoy cav as well.

IBT - Said decoy wins and promotes, then dies vs second longbow, valiantly carrying
out his task. Iro land small stack outside unprotected Allegheny.

[8] 1030 - Grand River's Temple is rushed. At Allegheny we hit with zone defense troops,
Cav beats knight, elite rifle attacks longbow and... wins. Allegheny drafts,
as does Tonawanda. Outside York the troops are thick on both sides - spear, pike,
musket, longbow for them, and four cav armies for us. Fair odds! :D

Vet rifles takes almost 10pts off our fresh cav army, but we win that and next
fight vs Conscript and take the city. Rax intact, yay! Then we mop up rest.
To Egypt we sell Silks for market price of 12gpt. We have two more she could use
but can't afford. No one else can pay ANYTHING for silks.
IBT - Another five obsolete Iro units come toward York.

[9] 1040 - Kill the old units with cav army and two plain cav, the others heal.
IBT - Just two pikes move.

[10] 1050 - Cattargarus temple rushed. Like all other cities, its starved down.
Three fresh armies are ready to TEAR out of York. Cav one hits their capital
of Ganogeh (aka Gangrene) twice, beating reg rifle and pike. Another cav army
kills the last pike and we take the city. Hybrid army now gets the pikes we
just ran past. London is the new capital.

Steam Power is due in 3 turns at 90% sci and we're still +117gpt.
Six cities on this watch, if six more on the next watch we would control
the whole nation up to the newly captured chokepoint of London. That seems
a worthy goal. PRESS ON!!! Able to run just 10% lux and 90% sci, don't sweat
the fact we have war weariness. These guys are wholly gassed and need to be
swallowed alive. The four armies aren't even breathing hard after Ganogeh.
We could take London in two turns, or swing around W and come back to that.
I would do Gewauga and London first myself, severing the nation in two and
capturing quickly their best remaining city. Show them no quarter! :hammer:

Zilch from Hitties the whole turn. Continue to starve down Cattar, Grand River,
York and the eastern cities. Try to rush a temple each turn if you can afford.
I've not yet sold Granaries btw, no rush really, but keep in mind perhaps Grimjack.

Charis
Kylearan <-- UP
Grimjack <-- On Deck
Aggie
Griselda
Speaker

RBC6 Save file 1050AD

Let's be scrappy!
Charis

Show them no quarter! :hammer:

Nice job, Charis!

I don't like this "riot between turns even though everything was fine in F1 last turn" thing. I'm assuming it's a feature that we'll have to get used to, but it sure is a frustrating one, especially since the capitol always comes first and is more likely to be hit if it's not extra-happy.

-Griselda

Top Bottom